Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright, so similar situation here... garage kept 2018 Durango RT AWD w/ 44k miles (out of warranty), the screen bleed / delamination / peeling is about a third of the way down and started like others a few weeks back. At this point, even with the screen off, it's going bananas doing what others have described above. Here is how I am attacking this and I'll keep you all posted.

I first contacted Dodge Cares (800) 992-1997 before even stepping on to my dealer. The agent (Chelsea) was amazing. Since I was out of warranty, at this point, the repair is not covered but Chelsea explained the "issue" may qualify for "financial assistance" up to 100% of the cost. She went ahead and put me on hold, contacted my dealer, and proceeded to setup an appointment for me. There are some basic rules you need to meet to qualify for this escalation. For me, it's that I have an appointment scheduled within 7 days. The other was that it was taken to a dealer within the last 14 days. Since I now met the "appointment within 7 days" criteria, she proceeded to create a case and I should expect to hear from the case manager in 1 - 2 BD's.

Vehicle is being dropped off tomorrow morning. They even offered rental reimbursement but I kindly declined. Supposedly, the case manager will interact on my behalf with the service rep at the dealer.

Long story short, they are aware of this issue (since it qualifies for this escalation) BUT they are in no way covering it up front if you are out of warranty. At this point, it is in the hands of my case manager to work his / her magic. My assumption is they will not replace for free and I'll receive some sort of a discount.

I hope this process helps any of those that stumble upon this thread in the future.

-CJG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Day 1 - Update

So I scurried on happy as hell to the dealer for my appointment this AM.... NOPE..... within : 5 minutes of arriving, I was sent back with the vehicle. Per my service rep, they cannot do anything without the case being assigned within that 1 to 2 business day per my initial post. A lot of back and forth. Per the rep, it's a full radio replacement where as the Dodge Cares rep stated its just the screen or laminate that needs to be replaced.

The service rep continued that the case manager needs to speak to the service manager on next steps.

I did get a text that my vehicle was "checked in" for service.

I'll continue providing updates but as you can see, the s-show has already begun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Day 2 - Update

Dealer called, they are going to replace the entire radio at no cost to me. My service rep confirmed that corporate approved a full uconnect replacement.

As you can imagine, I'm in shock as they didn't inspect or look at the radio and told me to leave the dealer that there was nothing they could do on Friday morning. Supposedly it's a 5 - 7 BD turnaround to receive the new unit here in Jacksonville, FL.

I will provide another update next week but this confirms they are aware of the issue and contacting corporate does in fact work.

More to come.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
im glad i saw this thread! I have an 18 and while i have no issues ill keep an eye on it. thanks all for the posts!

·
Registered
688 Posts
My dealer said they had only 1 person that Dodge would not cover (they were the 2nd or 3rd owner of the vehicle).

They are replacing the entire unit, not just the screen. I was in & out in a hour when mine arrived (about 4 weeks after being ordered).
The radio has a new ID & digital key. Everything has worked flawlessly since it was replaced - very pleased with how this was handled by Dodge & the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Day 7 (Business Day 5) Update

No call from the service rep since last Friday. Waiting patiently with the holiday approaching.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
suminabitch, 2018 GT I just noticed this morning my screen is delaminating in 3 separate spots, starting with the left corner, center, and off center right. dam...
maybe due to the cold weather. IDK I am the second owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Day 20 Update:

Was contacted when radio arrived at the dealer and setup a 9a appointment yesterday. I was in and out in an hour and 45 minutes. Experience was excellent, cost was $0 with a brand new UConnect system / radio. Sirius XM was activated with the new radio and everything works perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I got a 2018 Dodge Durango with 49k miles. I notice the screen delamination when I first bought the car used and it had 35k now at 49k I can barely use the touch screen and it’s clicks on everything. I contacted the dealer ship no help I got quested for 1695.00 to fix it and I contacted dodge cares we escalated the ticket and they still were not able to help me with good will assistance. It’s crazy that a 40k+ car radio takes a shit at 35k miles makes me think what else will go wrong with this car after awhile. Probably won’t buy dodge again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2018 Durango R/T with the 8.4" touch screen. Noticed a few weeks back that the screen has started to delaminate in the upper left corner and is slowly working it's way across the top of the screen. Anyone else getting this? Looks like a bubble under the screen surface. I did a search of this forum and didn't find anything. The Charger and Ram forums have a lot to say on it, but sure seems like a defect with the radio and not necessarily the vehicle it's installed in. And if you're out of warranty (and I am-54k miles) you're screwed to the tune of $1500 or more, with no guarantee that it'll last any longer than the original did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2018 Durango R/T with the 8.4" touch screen. Noticed a few weeks back that the screen has started to delaminate in the upper left corner and is slowly working it's way across the top of the screen. Anyone else getting this? Looks like a bubble under the screen surface. I did a search of this forum and didn't find anything. The Charger and Ram forums have a lot to say on it, but sure seems like a defect with the radio and not necessarily the vehicle it's installed in. And if you're out of warranty (and I am-54k miles) you're screwed to the tune of $1500 or more, with no guarantee that it'll last any longer than the original did.
Mine is doing the same thing. It's bull.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Believe it or not, if your out of warranty FCA will take care of your screen. Now if you go to a lazy dealership they may try and say no. However, they are aware of the problem with some of the screens as well as another very common issue (on Chargers), and will fix it for free. What I'm not sure on is how far back they go, like if you have a 2014, but what I've heard they are working to make it right.

Call your local dealership and see if they can take a look. Also, look over in the LXforums for a thread called "Read this!!!!" It discusses the screen issue and how to get it fixed if your dealer doesn't help you. Basically if your dealer doesn't help, contact Dodge Cares and they will help.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I have a 2018 Durango w 15k on it. Noticed the delamination about a month ago. Called FCA. They said you’re out of warranty based on time but to take it in to dealership and if they refuse to fix it call FCA back (they issued me a claim number). Dealership agreed to fix at “good will” and did not charge me even though I’ve owned for 40 months. Took 2 weeks for new radio to come in and was installed in an hour. Very pleased with how all was handled

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this issue currently on our 2018 Durango GT. Only 34k miles but jus outside of the 3 year warranty period. Dodge customer care denied our claim to get repair assistance, dealership won't help, and the extended warranty we purchased through the dealership won't help either because the radio is "working". @DodgeCares does Dodge really care?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am having this issue currently on our 2018 Durango GT. Only 34k miles but jus outside of the 3 year warranty period. Dodge customer care denied our claim to get repair assistance, dealership won't help, and the extended warranty we purchased through the dealership won't help either because the radio is "working". @DodgeCares does Dodge really care?
We're sorry to hear about the obstacles you've encountered while trying to get your concerns properly addressed. We can certainly look into your previous cases to see if there's anything we can do to assist. Please follow up via private messages with any case numbers and/or your VIN so we can get started.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

·
Banned
2021 Durango GT+
222 Posts
WTF? So many issues with these vehicles. At least they seem to be doing the right thing and replacing it. Unfortunately, ITS GONNA happen again.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,113 Posts
Nope, not a protective covering, just a defect that lots of other Dodges with the 8.4" touch screens are having.

View attachment 110981

Chase300, the screen is probably glass underneath but the stuff that makes it a touch screen is laminating over the glass. this is what appears to be bubbling.
That’s not a Durango in the picture.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts