Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question in regards to torque specs for all bolt's on a 2003 Dodge Durango.
Are there books or website's that have the torque specs for all bolt's?
Thank you in advance.
Just an example of various torque specs.
I've seen different website's, YouTube videos, etc. where people give different torque specs for the 3 bolts on a upper ball joint that connects to control arm that ranged from 52.5 up to 140, the bolt on the bottom I've seen from just hand tight up to 80. I'm what you may call a rookie, but I like checking everything before I do any work. old saying messure 2 or more times and only cut once.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
ADY:
What you need is the factory service manual. Not to say that there can't be errors, there, but that would be the best place to have all of those specs in one pot so to speak. The Gen 1's are old enough, that they out to be available for decent price on places like Ebay, etc.
I think I paid $50ish for a full set of well used FSM's for my '04.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,
Thank you for your reply. I'm new to in depth auto repairs/work. Prior to jumping into anything serious I need to know beginning, middle, and end without asking everyone for the basic/starting points. (I remember years ago all auto stores carried the books based on year/make/model, don't see those no more. I'm not sure how in depth they were).

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Those books you recall were Chiltons, Haynes., and the like. They covered a broader group of cars, and the more common processes like tune ups, water pumps, etc. For more specific vehicle information, an FSM is the way to go.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Don I couldn't remember the names of them. They are just your basic books.
Why I'm so interested in torque specs for everything, I picked up an 03 Dodge Durango 4x4 5.9l for 250.00. Body and frame are in great condition (no rust), minor work like ball joints, and other minor work. I'm just going to learn on my own how to do the work and see what I can do.

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
All well and good if using factory hardware. If upgrading to say good quality ARP fasteners, you are better of using there speqs

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
@ ADY:
Yes indeed. Those are what I have for my 2004. There are 4 volumes for it. If you look around, you might do a little better on price. Mine were pretty well worn though, which probably contributed to the lower price.

As Mike says, if going with aftermarket hardware, be sure to use the maker's specs if different from oem.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don & Mike Thanks to both of you. I have a solid starting point between using/reviewing factory specs and or after market spec's. Now when I find an issue I move forward with using torque spec's based on factory or after market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts