Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a TT this year. Wife has been a bit picky with models and is wanting this type of floorplan 2021 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 248BHSL specs and literature guide

The thing is that it's just shy of 29ft. I know it's been said with the wheelbase being so short, not to get anything under 28 ft, but with a purchase of a good hitch with sway control, would it be safe to tow? Sorry this probably has been beaten to death, but with the tow n go I was hoping it could do a bit better Than the regular rt tow package. Thanks.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looking to purchase a TT this year. Wife has been a bit picky with models and is wanting this type of floorplan 2021 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 248BHSL specs and literature guide

The thing is that it's just shy of 29ft. I know it's been said with the wheelbase being so short, not to get anything under 28 ft, but with a purchase of a good hitch with sway control, would it be safe to tow? Sorry this probably has been beaten to death, but with the tow n go I was hoping it could do a bit better Than the regular rt tow package. Thanks.
That’s a lot trailer, yes 29’ is pushing it. Ideally you should stay <26’

Those weights are also on the high end of borderline too heavy.

How far do you plan on traveling?
What is your family combined weight?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a lot trailer, yes 29’ is pushing it. Ideally you should stay <26’

Those weights are also on the high end of borderline too heavy.

How far do you plan on traveling?
What is your family combined weight?
Combined family weight is under 450lbs. Travel could be range to 1000km, and likely some mountain travel. Mostly around 400km.

So the tow n go package was mostly a cosmetic upgrade? Even though the trailer gvwr is 7600lbs its too heavy? I thought weight would have been fine, and it's more an issue with size.

·
Registered
2021 Durango SRT, 2017 Chrysler 300S 5.7
288 Posts
Combined family weight is under 450lbs. Travel could be range to 1000km, and likely some mountain travel. Mostly around 400km.

So the tow n go package was mostly a cosmetic upgrade? Even though the trailer gvwr is 7600lbs its too heavy? I thought weight would have been fine, and it's more an issue with size.
The TNG package does increase the towing capacity from 7200/7400lbs(2wd/awd) to 8700lbs. But you need to take into account everything that will be on the trailer as well as the trailer weight itself. Is there a holding tank? Is the listed weight with an empty tank or full tank?

·
Registered
431 Posts

No, the TNG is not at all just a cosmetic upgrade. It has some major advantages for towing given the various upgrades. However, A vehicle the size of the Durango does have its limitations. I have a TNG and pull a Nobo 19.3 4200lb dry camper. It does really well and I have been impressed given that my older 2015 SXT Plus was just too under powered to pull the camper up into the mountains. I have never felt uncomfortable towing with the TNG. I would not personally choose to go any longer of a camper using the TNG though. Weight is not really the issue except for the rear axle capacity of the durango which gets close to the limits when towing a camper. My camper is 22' (box) 24'4" (tongue to tail).
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
832 Posts

Yes that’s too far to be driving with that TV/TT combo. If you were staying <150 miles then I’d say take it easy.

That 248BHSL is listed at 577 lbs try tongue weight. Add 74 lbs for two 20 lb propane tanks, and 40 lbs for a battery... = 691 lbs before you even load the trailer with stuff

Your payload is 1,200 lbs max (driver side door jam sticker)

• 450 lbs family
  • 75 lbs WDH
  • 691 lbs tongue weight
= -16 lbs over payload

this is also assuming that there is nothing else with you loaded in the Durango. Rear GAWR (3,940 lbs) will be your limiting factor

Tow N Go is not just a cosmetic upgrade, you also have a wider tires, stiffer suspension and bigger brakes that will help towing.

Yes 7,600 lbs GVWR is too heavy. Need to remember that the TNG’s 8700 lb weight rating is with 300 lbs of passengers. Adding more passenger weight means subtracting max tongue weight

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes that’s too far to be driving with that TV/TT combo. If you were staying <150 miles then I’d say take it easy.

That 248BHSL is listed at 577 lbs try tongue weight. Add 74 lbs for two 20 lb propane tanks, and 40 lbs for a battery... = 691 lbs before you even load the trailer with stuff

Your payload is 1,200 lbs max (driver side door jam sticker)

• 450 lbs family
  • 75 lbs WDH
  • 691 lbs tongue weight
= -16 lbs over payload

this is also assuming that there is nothing else with you loaded in the Durango. Rear GAWR (3,940 lbs) will be your limiting factor

Tow N Go is not just a cosmetic upgrade, you also have a wider tires, stiffer suspension and bigger brakes that will help towing.

Yes 7,600 lbs GVWR is too heavy. Need to remember that the TNG’s 8700 lb weight rating is with 300 lbs of passengers. Adding more passenger weight means subtracting max tongue weight
The actual payload is a point of contention as you know @IvoryHemi. I just don't understand what the limiting factor is that brings the payload down to 1200lbs. The calculated payload should be close to 1700lbs based on the GVWR (7100lbs) and Curb Weight (5300-5400lbs). I cant help to think that Dodge was just lazy and didn't want to come up with new door placards. I know that would be silly but it just doesn't make sense to me. But... As we know, dodge says 1200lbs so we have to play it safe and stick with 1200lbs...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow I guess I should have done more research. Sounds like I wouldn't be able to tow this hybrid trailer either.

I'm guessing this below maybe my max which was my one choice

I appreciate your insight on this, sounds like I should have considered a different unit!

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,389 Posts
If you need to pull something that large then you need a full size truck.

Reactions: IvoryHemi

·
Registered
832 Posts
The actual payload is a point of contention as you know @IvoryHemi. I just don't understand what the limiting factor is that brings the payload down to 1200lbs. The calculated payload should be close to 1700lbs based on the GVWR (7100lbs) and Curb Weight (5300-5400lbs). I cant help to think that Dodge was just lazy and didn't want to come up with new door placards. I know that would be silly but it just doesn't make sense to me. But... As we know, dodge says 1200lbs so we have to play it safe and stick with 1200lbs...
Yes I know and agree that it should be 1,700 lbs, but I spent a lot of $$ at the CAT scales and I couldn’t get beyond ~1,400 lbs without exceeding GAWR.

I made the mistake of looking at the max numbers and going directly at them. I learned the hard way that just because “you can” doesn’t mean “you should”.

I was often at 1,300-1,400 lbs, which was shy of the 7,100 GVWR, yet towing long distance was not easy. For beginners I think 1,200 lbs is a very fair number to stick to.

As you said above, Durango is limited by its physical size. Plenty of power but it’s still short and narrow.

·
Registered
832 Posts

I appreciate your insight on this, sounds like I should have considered a different unit!
That is much more reasonable.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
513 Posts
Even my 'little' 17' single axle TT with my family of four (and nothing in the back of the DDRT) puts me right at or slightly above the rear axle capacity of the DD even though the trailer gross weight is way less than my max towing capacity. I think about the only trailer type that will allow you to hit max trailer weight with enough tongue weight without overloading the rear axle would be a flat bed trailer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, the TNG is not at all just a cosmetic upgrade. It has some major advantages for towing given the various upgrades. However, A vehicle the size of the Durango does have its limitations. I have a TNG and pull a Nobo 19.3 4200lb dry camper. It does really well and I have been impressed given that my older 2015 SXT Plus was just too under powered to pull the camper up into the mountains. I have never felt uncomfortable towing with the TNG. I would not personally choose to go any longer of a camper using the TNG though. Weight is not really the issue except for the rear axle capacity of the durango which gets close to the limits when towing a camper. My camper is 22' (box) 24'4" (tongue to tail).
I like the layout of that camper I'll keep this one on the radar. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Tow n Go, Granite Met., Red Brembo, Moon Roof. Vitra Grey, Cargo and Tech pkg. NO Blacktop.
111 Posts
2021 TnG with Connect 24RLK. 6,050 lbs empty, 7,265 GVWR. About 85% of tow cap. All scaled weights under max. TT is 28'-11" from coupler to bumper. Fastway e2 8000/800 weight distribution hitch. Tows great 60-65 mph. Avg 8 mpg. In tow/haul, runs 75% time in 6th gear, 25% in 5th. Wouldn't go any bigger.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Plant Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2021 TnG with Connect 24RLK. 6,050 lbs empty, 7,265 GVWR. About 85% of tow cap. All scaled weights under max. TT is 28'-11" from coupler to bumper. e2 load distribution hitch. Tows great 60-65 mph. Avg 8 mpg. In tow/haul, runs 75% time in 6th gear, 25% in 5th. Wouldn't go any bigger.
Awesome thanks for sharing! how much weight in the Durango was added? This is looking heavier than the one I mentioned in my first post. Wish I didn't have to worry about bunks!

·
Registered
2021 Tow n Go, Granite Met., Red Brembo, Moon Roof. Vitra Grey, Cargo and Tech pkg. NO Blacktop.
111 Posts
Full tank of gas 2 adults and dog

1 - 16 of 16 Posts