Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several threads here on tire but haven't seen much on whats lasting long. So will need new tires sooner than later and looking for some real life experience reviews from you guys/gals. I am looking a several different models and wanted some feedback so here are the brands, all in size 265/50/20. I am looking for something that I can expect 50k give or take, I'm not into getting tires every 30k. I do tow a TT so maybe that should play in a bit. Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks
Michelin defender ltx
Cooper srx discoverer
Pirelli scorpion Verde all season

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were they still good at 40k? Sorry what I mean is did they get loud handle poorly etc.. as they aged seems like a lot of tires may go 50-60k but are crap by 40k

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Kumho Solus had me sliding all over the place in a Seattle snow on Christmas eve. 30K miles on them after 22months and they were at about 5/32nds but were worthless in the snow. I have a set of Defenders coming in to put on. I was looking at the Michelin Premiere LTX but there seems to be a shortage of them around here (no one an get them until February). I think I will like the extra tread depth of the Defenders.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
No they never got loud, actually handled better in the dry with the tread worn down. Still decent in the wet, though clearly not as good as when new.
Unknown was how they perform in snow as I never drove in any winter conditions with them.
So for the price they are tough to beat IMO.

That saying I do believe Michelin's are one tire that you do get what you pay for and if not on a tight budget or leasing I would buy them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys, Chase300 thanks for the info on the good year they are a good price point for sure, Michelins are about $300 more. I agree on the kumbo they seem ok for passenger cars but not on the heavy DD

·
Registered
101 Posts
Of the options you've listed, I'd get the Cooper because that model is apparently made in the USA and my uncle has them on his Tahoe and loves them (he lives in Chicago). The first set of tires I put on my fancy aftermarket wheels on my Mustang were Cooper ZEON RS3-S and I was very happy with them and they lasted far longer than they should have. I plan to get the Coopers, should they be available still after my Goodyear Forteras die, which ain't gonna be any time soon. I don't like how these Goodyears look (sidewall is needlessly "off-road-ish") and for some reason I lack confidence in rain with these despite them only have 27K miles on them and looking damn near fresh. That said, you pretty much are always going to be satisfied with Michelins, but they seem to believe their tires are made of gold, and I'm not paying their pricing. I typically buy Continental or Cooper tires. I assume you're wanting a XL tire, which Conti doesn't offer I don't think. Pirelli is a Chinese company now and given how many other options there are and the fact that I'm Italian by heritage and it's insulting to me that Pirelli sold out to China, I avoid them. The Pirelli tires that come on Mustangs like mine are supposed to last 20K and last about 12K... garbage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 on Coopers. I put a set of 285/50R20 Discoverer HT Plus on this summer. I really like them. Solid in the rain, snow, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info CT Mike, I have read good reviews on them how many miles do you have on them so far? Thanks Hank

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've read several threads here on tire but haven't seen much on whats lasting long. So will need new tires sooner than later and looking for some real life experience reviews from you guys/gals. I am looking a several different models and wanted some feedback so here are the brands, all in size 265/50/20. I am looking for something that I can expect 50k give or take, I'm not into getting tires every 30k. I do tow a TT so maybe that should play in a bit. Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks
Michelin defender ltx
Cooper srx discoverer
Pirelli scorpion Verde all season
Michelin Defender LTX. Just put a set on 2014 R/T. No shake, no vibration, no noise. May cost a little more but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Thanks guys, Chase300 thanks for the info on the good year they are a good price point for sure, Michelins are about $300 more. I agree on the kumbo they seem ok for passenger cars but not on the heavy DD
You have to get the proper Kumho...which is the Crugen Premium model which is designed for SUV's. Its a XL tire and V-speed rated in 265/50/20 size.
I'm running them now and they rated 2nd just behind the Michelin Premier LTX in TireRack's testing.
Certainly a premium tire but I do not know how long they will last though they do have a lot of tread.
We will see if they last like the GY's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all the info keep it coming, wish there were more members out there with some of these mentioned tires with 40-60k and see how they are holding up :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the goodyear Fortera's on mine now they were stock and I am at 29k and they maybe have 5k left so not to impressed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They fit fine. The sidewalls are out a little, but not enough to worry about. There are some pictures somewhere on the site....

·
Registered
111 Posts
i put the defenders on mine. So far so good. Quiet, good in snow, havent been in rain yet. Only had them for a month though.
The forteras are garbage. Crappy in rain and very loud as they got older.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I swapped out the stock Bridgestone minivan tires on mine at about 1k miles.

2v2u551ezxQbh7.jpg
2v2JowWfGxQbh7.jpg

·
Registered
598 Posts
^^have you had a chance to try those in the snow?

·
Registered
236 Posts
^^have you had a chance to try those in the snow?
I have. We've only had small snows (1-2") which are more slick than anything. It does slide around some but I couldn't say if it's worse or better than any other tire. Maybe a dedicated snowtire like Blizzak would stick better in those conditions. The tread blocks do have siping on them for bite. I'm hoping we get some deep snows so I can really test them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts