Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my stock GY tires with Bridgestone Blizzaks in the factory size and I noticed that my mpg is down across the board. Especially on the highway. In eco-mode I used to get about 20-21 mpg with my hemi cruising at about 80. On a road trip after I got the new tires I got 18 and same cruising speed.
Nearest I can figure is the weight of the tires is causing more rotational loss. The new tires are listed about 5 pounds heavier than what came off.
It’s making me worried about how bad the mpg will be when I get my 22” wheels in the spring.
Anyone else experience this also?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just replaced my stock GY tires with Bridgestone Blizzaks in the factory size and I noticed that my mpg is down across the board. Especially on the highway. In eco-mode I used to get about 20-21 mpg with my hemi cruising at about 80. On a road trip after I got the new tires I got 18 and same cruising speed.
Nearest I can figure is the weight of the tires is causing more rotational loss. The new tires are listed about 5 pounds heavier than what came off.
It’s making me worried about how bad the mpg will be when I get my 22” wheels in the spring.
Rotational mass does make a difference with mileage as does the type of tire. And even given the exact same tire, new tires are heavier because they have more tread on them. Also the design of winter tires (like the Blizzaks) likely makes them not as good as all season tires on the street in terms of mileage.

When I went to 20 x 10 SRT wheels I was concerned about increasing the unsprung weight on my Durango. Fortunately the SRT wheels are forged and therefore light for their size. My current wheel/tire set up is actually a pound lighter than the stock set up even though my new tires are approximately 5 pounds heavier.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Blizzaks do NOT have tread, sidewalls, and compound optimized for mileage.

They are sticky, soft, stiff, and aggressive. Nothing about them is optimized for gas economy.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Rotational weight will more effect acceleration than mileage at highway speeds so I would expect the decrease due to tire compound used and maybe winter blend fuel?
You are more likely to see a mileage hit around the city with heaver tires due to a lot more acceleration/stopping cycles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always lose mpg when I switch to winter tires. The winter rubber is softer and stickier, thus causes more rotational friction.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never even thought of the tread and rubber compound as the culprit. This is making me feel better!!

Thanks for the replies!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I always lose mpg when I switch to winter tires. The winter rubber is softer and stickier, thus causes more rotational friction.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Exactly - I also loose 2-3 MPG on the highway when switching from eco rated low rolling resistance summer tires to true winter/snow tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In Michigan the winter gas mixture seems to produce a drop in gas mileage. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but that is what I notice with my D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Smiles per gallons when you own a DD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Michigan the winter gas mixture seems to produce a drop in gas mileage. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but that is what I notice with my D
We get the winter mix gas also in the northeast but the mpg drop I’m seeing is much worse than that and started right after my new tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these tires are so bad at rolling the DD decelerates on highway downhill segments. But I’ll be able to drive through just about any snow/slop which is what I got them for.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You will also notice when coasting to a stop. With the low lowing resistance tires you have to be carefull or you will be slamming on the brakes at the last monument. While with the non eco type snow tires that have a higher rolling resistance (along the ZF designed 8-spd down shifting as you slow down) she comes down in speed a lot quicker when coasting toward a stop sign or red light - which on a morning like today (so cold that the road salt is working very well) can be very handy.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I also loose mpg when I put the Blizzacks on, but the massive improvement over the stocks tires is well worth the hit in mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts