Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well hopefully the plug last until replacing tires. I just asked because I don’t have experience with plugs and tires still have good thread. Actually my friend had a patch on a tire and it blew, messed up his rear fender. But hopefully it last me until new tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like anything else, theres a right way and wrong way of doing things.
Buying a good patch kit, prepping the tire correctly and applying right.
Its been 3 yrs for the patched tire.
Ground away any steel belt ends that can puncture the patch.
Because the hole was large I used 2 plugs first. Cut off the excess inside, then the patch.
The plugs protect the patch. Spin balance afterwards.
Those sticky, gooey plugs w/ inner cord work the best.
Patch/plug tread area, never sidewalls.

·
Registered
2020 Durango SXT Plus AWD Anodized Platinum, Octane Red
6 Posts
A good plug is not really anything to worry over. When I was a police officer our patrol cars used to get flat tires pretty often. For simple tread punctures, the mechanic would plug it right on the car and we’d be back on the road in 10 minutes. They used a really gooey plug with heavy cord in it, pushed it all the way through and back then trimmed it off. I never saw one fail.

·
Registered
583 Posts
plugs are just fine.

I've been driving for 30 years, 30,000 miles a year and had hundred of plugs not one has ever failed. I think they are fine.

I have a kit now in my trunk and I plug them myself as my scat pack has no spare, in fact a week old, last week it got a nail and it was even close to the side a little... plugged it and it's fine.

I do agree a patch might be better but is it really? how is it better if both work perfectly but the plug is simple and doesn't require removing the tire from the wheel etc.? just saying plugs are fine.

I work in warehouse/construction areas so I get nails & screws all the time... it's almost expected about one every few months or so...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
If you want a plug to last the life of the tire, Safety Seal is the only brand I trust for long term/permanent repair.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good to see this thread is helping others. The plug is still fine no problems, just asking as never really dealt with them. But sure it’s working good.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
228 Posts
Here's my two cents: I've installed plenty of the rope-type ones myself on the side of the road. I've never had one come out except one on the back tire of a 1969 Chrysler 300. It ripped out in the course of a smoky burnout, so that's understandable.

I agree with the others that yours looks to be professionally repaired from inside, so you should be good to go. Do keep an eye on that tire and check it immediately if you start noticing a speed-related vibration while driving. Sometimes punctures and subsequent plugs can damage the steel belts in the tire enough to cause premature failure. That said, I'd drive it and not worry about buying new tires for a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey fellow members, I know this is stupid question but just thought I could ask. I got my first screw on my front right tire, had to get a plug. It was near the center, not near wall. Out of your experience how long if any, should you drive or replace? I’m thinking of taking a small trip and I sure ain’t going to risk it. Tire has good thread left, but I have a friend who had blowout and messed up rear fender bad, I don’t want that risk.
What tire is it? It should be fine but if you want to be extra safe rotate the plugged tire to the rear.

That way if it blows out it's not gonna interfere with steering.

If it makes it to your next oil change rotation I'd say it go to go.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts