Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow members, I know this is stupid question but just thought I could ask. I got my first screw on my front right tire, had to get a plug. It was near the center, not near wall. Out of your experience how long if any, should you drive or replace? I’m thinking of taking a small trip and I sure ain’t going to risk it. Tire has good thread left, but I have a friend who had blowout and messed up rear fender bad, I don’t want that risk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Personally I would only drive on a plug until I could get into a tire shop for a patch on the inside. But that’s because I don’t have any luck with a plug staying. Some members may have better luck. A patch would need to have the tire dismounted where a tech could get a closer look too.

Before your trip, how inflated is your spare? Also rotten luck is needing your spare tire only to find out ITS flat too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Personally if I was you I would take it to a tire shop and have them dismount it and patch it properly. That way you will have piece of mind on your road trip and you’ll be good for the life of the tire. I had good luck at a discount tire in Florida last year when we took vacation there. Picked up screw in the tire so I took it to local discount tire. They replaced valve and patched the tire and didn’t charge anything. I was amazed.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
TJ:
I feel your pain LOL! From noisy engines, to screws in your tires. A "proper" plug job is ok, but never as good as a proper patch from the inside. Most tire manufacturers will say that by plugging a speed rated tired, the tire should be "derated" to the lowest speed, ie, 99 mph or similar. They also don't feel that more than 2 plugs or patches in a single tire is appropriate. I would have to agree there.

To me a plug is a stop gap measure only on any vehicle driven aggressively on a regular basis. If the car is only a grocery getter/run around town car, a good plug is ok IMO.

Don

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never had a plug come out...but a patch is best.
I've never had a plug come out either. If it's done properly it shouldn't. A patch may be better, but sometimes if the puncture is too close to the sidewall you can't do a patch from the inside. I see no reason to get rid of an otherwise good tire if you can plug it and it won't leak. Most of the time the puncture is small, like a nail or a screw.

And with today's TPMS technology you are generally going to know if the tire starts to leak.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've driven on plugs for years with never one coming out. It has to be done right, plug needs to be deep enough with plenty of glue and hole can't be bigger than a nail or a screw. If done right it will basically become one with tire and will wear with the tire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here is plug if it helps, front right tire. Should I get second opinion before trip.
That's an interesting looking plug. Not the type I am used to seeing. Does it go all the way through the tire to the inside? The location is actually not in a bad place since it's not in the tread that has direct contact with the road. I'm just not familiar with that specific type of plug.

As long as it goes all the way through the tire to the inside you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've been using tire plugs for decades and never once ever had one fail. They are totally safe as long as they are installed properly.
When I was young I had a Firebird and got all new Tires on it. I swear every single week I would get a damn nail in my tire. I went and had them fixed over and over. Never had any issues.
Moving forward over the decades I have been driving my wife and son has got nails in their tires as well as I have a few times since. I go to pep boys and buy new plugs and plug them myself. It's easy fast and simple.
I have plugged almost new tires and seen them drive around for 30k miles with a plug and never once had any issues.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have never had an issue with a plug I put in a tire. I've had tires with zero tread and multiple plugs in it hold ain't perfectly fine! That of course was college, so to buy tires when alcohol was obviously more important never crossed my mind! Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had the same type of plug put in drove it easily 15,000 miles before it was time for new tires. They go all the way thru the tire. I've never heard of one failing; but, that doesn't mean they don't. However, a patch could still fail. Personally, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My last set of tires had 4-5 plugs I personally did....and I'm not sure I'm the best at doing it. I try. Never had a problem with any after the fact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey fellow members, I know this is stupid question but just thought I could ask. I got my first screw on my front right tire, had to get a plug. It was near the center, not near wall. Out of your experience how long if any, should you drive or replace? I’m thinking of taking a small trip and I sure ain’t going to risk it. Tire has good thread left, but I have a friend who had blowout and messed up rear fender bad, I don’t want that risk.
I’ve been driving with a plug since September of last year. I haven’t had any problems. My tires are too new to replace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been driving on 1 plugged tire and 1 patched tire. They had 75% tread. $200/ea.
The patched tire had a 1/2 lag bolt thru it. It couldnt be plugged.
No one around here wants to cold patch a tire. Franchise and indie shops. No one.
So I had an indie shop remove the tire. Took it home, cold patched it, took it back to be put on the rim.
They claim its a liability issue now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts