Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Bought 21 Durango with TnG package. Wanted to ask if you all get a slight womping sound from the Pirellis that they come with.

My old Chrysler had gone through 3 sets of hubs and was wondering if these Durangos are prone for hub wear as well or the tires being 295s are just a bit louder than what I'm used to with the 235s on the old Chrysler.

Bought the car yesterday, its a beauty. Has 44k miles and is on newer set of tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey all,

Bought 21 Durango with TnG package. Wanted to ask if you all get a slight womping sound from the Pirellis that they come with.

My old Chrysler had gone through 3 sets of hubs and was wondering if these Durangos are prone for hub wear as well or the tires being 295s are just a bit louder than what I'm used to with the 235s on the old Chrysler.

Bought the car yesterday, its a beauty. Has 44k miles and is on newer set of tires.
Congrats on the purchase...

I have a 22 TnG and don't notice anything out of the ordinary with the Pirellis.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I noticed that my Pirellis got noisy on certain roads when it is cooler.
Also, inner part of the 4 tires shows more wear than the outside part, may contribute to the sound... Need an alignment to correct the aggressive camber setting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do a tire rotation and see if the sound moves to a new location. That will indicate a tire issue.
Carfax showed 2 recent tire swap and rotation. Reason why I'm pointing at the hubs. Previous owner logged 44k miles in 1.5 years. I'm thinking excessive highway runs m might cause the worn hubs.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Carfax showed 2 recent tire swap and rotation. Reason why I'm pointing at the hubs. Previous owner logged 44k miles in 1.5 years. I'm thinking excessive highway runs m might cause the worn hubs.
You're trying to convince yourself that it's a hub issue even though you've admitted you have no experience with Durangos or a vehicle with 295s.
Hub wear on a Durango is not a known issue.
Just because the previous owner had the tires rotated does not eliminate the tires as the source.
When @Timmy C suggested the tire rotation it was to determine if it was the source of the noise, not a maintenance interval.
So you have the tires rotated, check the noise and then rotate them back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're trying to convince yourself that it's a hub issue even though you've admitted you have no experience with Durangos or a vehicle with 295s.
Hub wear on a Durango is not a known issue.
Just because the previous owner had the tires rotated does not eliminate the tires as the source.
When @Timmy C suggested the tire rotation it was to determine if it was the source of the noise, not a maintenance interval.
So you have the tires rotated, check the noise and then rotate them back.
No need to get all sassy dude. If you read the sentence carefully. I never said I have no experience with a 295 tire, my old Chrysler had 235s, I've owned several SRT8s which had wide tires.

Your gonna tell me 2 new sets of tires wouldn't eliminate tires as the issue. What is the issue here with you. You just simply had to jump on and bash me.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,597 Posts
I see no bashing, just some explanation. Easy there, tiger.

Reactions: CaptMoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm retired but for the last four years I have been a test driver for Roush and our group test only Stellantis vehicles. My experience in driving any Durango SRT, Hellcat or an RT with the tow and go package is that the Pirelli Scorpion Verde
run flats can be a bit noisy. I would suggest the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS, I have had them on my CTS-V Sport Wagon and on my Durango RT. They are a great tire and are very quite. The problem with Run-Flats is that they have a much stiffer sidewall.
Tom

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No need to get all sassy dude. If you read the sentence carefully. I never said I have no experience with a 295 tire, my old Chrysler had 235s, I've owned several SRT8s which had wide tires.

Your gonna tell me 2 new sets of tires wouldn't eliminate tires as the issue. What is the issue here with you. You just simply had to jump on and bash me.
If you saw bashing in my comment, then I don't know what to tell you.
Have fun getting the hubs replaced. Hope that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm retired but for the last four years I have been a test driver for Roush and our group test only Stellantis vehicles. My experience in driving any Durango SRT, Hellcat or an RT with the tow and go package is that the Pirelli Scorpion Verde
run flats can be a bit noisy. I would suggest the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS, I have had them on my CTS-V Sport Wagon and on my Durango RT. They are a great tire and are very quite. The problem with Run-Flats is that they have a much stiffer sidewall.
Tom
Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the new generation. Point something out to them and they get all offended instead of reading the message and acknowledging the chance that they might actually be wrong.
You mean. He didn't read my sentences and assumed. Take it easy. Try reading and thinking on multiple levels. Might help save some time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts