Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
FYI the Jeep gang is recommending the OMRON G8JN-1C6T-F-R-DC12 relay to replace the external relay used in the TIPM recall when it eventually fails. They are available on amzn, and thru the usual electronics distributors.

This relay is rated 35A continuous, 120A inrush.. I suspect it is a much beefier relay than the recall kit relay.. (does anyone have a pic of the nomenclature on the TIPM recall relay, so I can look up what it is?)

FYI the Jeep gang is recommending the OMRON G8JN-1C6T-F-R-DC12 relay to replace the external relay used in the TIPM recall when it eventually fails. They are available on amzn, and thru the usual electronics distributors.

This relay is rated 35A continuous, 120A inrush.. I suspect it is a much beefier relay than the recall kit relay.. (does anyone have a pic of the nomenclature on the TIPM recall relay, so I can look up what it is?)
Yep, same as Skippy mine has that G8JN-1C6T-F-R-DC12 relay already. I'm buying a spare today to keep in the glovebox in accordance with your advice tomk.

Auto part Vehicle Car

Hey guys...at least whoever may still be interested in this post. Lol Thanks for the great info here.
Just joined today seeing this post while trying to diagnose a starting issue with our Durango, wondering if it may be fuel pump relay related.
We inherited our 2011 Durango Crew in 2013 and have been taking it in for all the recalls since then, but didn't remember the fuel pump relay. We hadn't experienced any issues with it at all, even taking it on 3 different week long multistate road trips over the past 2 years. But after our last trip in Oct '17 it began having an issue where every once in a great while (1 in 100 starts maybe) when you start it it just stumbles and runs rough for a minute or so then dies. While stumbling it will NOT turn the ignition off no matter how many times you try, have to just wait for it to die (equipped with button start/keyless ignition). Since it would start/run just fine immediately afterward I thought it no big deal, maybe bad gas or possibly fuel filter at worst...until 2 days ago when it did the stumble then started/ran fine until it died while may wife was driving, through an intersection no less. She was able to get it started again and drove 20 miles home with no further issues, using city streets and back roads not wanting to risk getting on highway. I drove it around town a little yesterday running errands with no issues. Anyway, thought I'd look into replacing the fuel filter, but found that there isn't one to replace really (which is crazy to me, but whatever) Then found info about the relay recall online, and read that some people are still experiencing issues. Taking a look under the hood I see they had installed the same one you other guys posted pics of. You may not be able to tell in the pics but the plastic housing is bulged. While the engine is running its super hot too. Having been made in USA I thought it would have lasted longer.
Our local AutoZone doesn't stock this relay. When they look it up on computer, they only show the original (for inside the TIPM! WHAT?! Lol) and another that looks quite different from the current external one - theirs doesn't have the metal mounting tab or shroud around where the harness plugs in. Didn't take a chance odering it just to find its not right.
I haven't had time to try any other parts stores, or the dealer since being the weekend and all. Will probably look into Amazon since we have prime.
Have any of you experienced any problems like ours, the stumbling starts and now dieing?
Anyone have problems with their external fuel pump relay?

Attachments

Relay shouldn't be hot. I'd replace it with a new one and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
What he said.

Something is shorting out or failing in that circuit, and I'm not sure if it's the relay itself, a frayed wire somewhere (the dealers doing this recall were known to have done quick hack jobs most of the time) or perhaps a failing fuel pump causing the issue. But, first thing I would do is go on Amazon and grab the $13 relay here...

https://www.amazon.com/OMRON-ELECTRONIC-COMPONENTS-G8JN-1C6T-DC12-AUTOMOTIVE/dp/B00DECZ78Q

And throw it in. See what happens. See if it's still getting hot. If it is, you might have a short somewhere else or maybe a failing fuel pump (that's a BIG old guess on my part). Definitely grab the relay and install it sooner than later.

Some people, while troubleshooting, have been able to just plug a basic headlight or wiper relay (the ones your local parts store DOES have on the shelf) in where the old one was just to see if it helps. Not a permanent solution and if you're a novice at working on your car, I don't know if I'd try that. Just get the proper replacement and change it out. It's fairly simple unplug it, plug in the new one type of job.

Relay shouldn't be hot. I'd replace it with a new one and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
A couple of days after my post I bought a new relay online for less than $10 ($4 part + $5 shipping. Lol should have bought 2) from an electronics supplier in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Haven't had a problem since, but have not checked it for running hot like the old one yet.

What he said.

Something is shorting out or failing in that circuit, and I'm not sure if it's the relay itself, a frayed wire somewhere (the dealers doing this recall were known to have done quick hack jobs most of the time) or perhaps a failing fuel pump causing the issue. But, first thing I would do is go on Amazon and grab the $13 relay here...

https://www.amazon.com/OMRON-ELECTRONIC-COMPONENTS-G8JN-1C6T-DC12-AUTOMOTIVE/dp/B00DECZ78Q

And throw it in. See what happens. See if it's still getting hot. If it is, you might have a short somewhere else or maybe a failing fuel pump (that's a BIG old guess on my part). Definitely grab the relay and install it sooner than later.

Some people, while troubleshooting, have been able to just plug a basic headlight or wiper relay (the ones your local parts store DOES have on the shelf) in where the old one was just to see if it helps. Not a permanent solution and if you're a novice at working on your car, I don't know if I'd try that. Just get the proper replacement and change it out. It's fairly simple unplug it, plug in the new one type of job.
Thanks for the tip. I found a direct replacement online for less than $10 and we haven't had a problem since...though I have not checked for it getting hot like the old one.
And yeah, I'm sure there were a lot of hack jobs done on this particular recall due to what it entailed. When I have some time I'll have to look their work over on mine.
Btw, I'm a 15yr technician in another field, but an electromechanical field nonetheless, and I see a LOT of hack jobs, some by well meaning guys. It always bothers me to see the way so many do their work, no quality or care, or just simple incompetence, especially when it involves a piece of equipment that can have devastating effects on the lives of others should it fail. Do it right or not at all.
But off my soapbox.
Thank you for your input.

I brought the Durango for relay relocation on 2016. Three days ago I had to replace it again due to fuel pump failure.
Am I particularly unlucky?
Nope. Apparently they rushed production on the external relays used in this recall and a lot of them were bad. Also, like another poster said, some of the techs performing the recall had no business doing it because they are hacks.
Anyway, the replacement I installed a few months ago is still kicking and have had NO issues since.

I just got one of these myself.

I like the start of the 3rd paragraph......." The Remedy For This Condition Is Not Available" !! So are we expected to not drive the vehicles as they say "A vehicle engine stall while driving can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning" !! They acknowledge this is an Important Safety issue but no resolution at this time. I guess prior warning is better than none at all.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.