Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new Dodge Durango owner here. Came over from a Dodge Ram because I need some extra space. Purchased a used 2012 Citadel AWD with 5.7, vehicle has 61k miles on it. After a week of driving, this weird thump feeling and noise began to appear. When I come to a complete stop at a stop sign and then accelerate, it happens randomly. The easiest way I could describe it is, it feels like something isn't catching right away when I accelerate. As in, maybe the front wheels are powered immediately but the rear wheels aren't, then the thump happens and they are.
The vehicle is currently at the shop now for the issue, but what always seems to happen when I bring vehicles in "we cant seem to reproduce the problem you are experiencing."
I was wondering if anybody on here experienced something similar and if so did you have it fixed and what was the issue? I'm hoping I could pass some more information off to the service department and help them locate the problem.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Don't know if the pre'14s do this, but if I come to a stop and then go lightly the Durango will start in 2nd gear. If I leave with some solid pedal, it will shift from 2nd to 1st, and that might be what you're feeling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is kind of a necro thread, but I want to thank Skippy426. I just bought a 2011 Citadel, and it does the exact thing the TSB is for. At 10mph it thumps. Slow or hard acceleration it's the same. Going to take it to have this done next week.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A similar sound had me scratching my head for a WEEK --- Turned out to be a dangling spare tire!!
The cable that holds the spare up had about an inch of slack in it, so every time I stopped, turned, or accelerated harder than what could be considered "normal", I'd get a 'thump' from the read end.
Silly, i know, but it's worth a check!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I feel like this used to be a common issue with the older, 1st Gen, Durangos. Never had it with my 2014 or either of my 2nd Gen trucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow this is so funny, when I first started experiencing this same thing last year I took it to a dodge dealer ship to get the issue serviced I was told it's normal. Or is this a fix that has just came to light????

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
@ Versitile:
Sadly, not every dealer wants to spend time chasing such issues. There are some real horror stories out there about how dealer service advisors have pretty much blown customers off telling them something like this is normal. I can recall a number of recent incidents where Dodge owners were told by their respective service managers that the water pump is not covered by their powertrain warranty which is absurd! Anyone making such statements when the facts are right there in black and white should be shown the door.........

Like anything else these days, we have to be informed and advocate for ourselves. That's what makes these forums SO valuable!

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem and was told it was normal, but since I bought it brand new I knew it wasn't but couldn't figure it out at first. Turned out to be 2 things. The first problem caused the second problem. The rear differential bearing went out causing a slip and then a clunk as it grabbed every time I accelerated, but as soon as I replaced the rear diff it was still happening a little. Well, the slipping and then engaging tore up my driver's side motor mount, causing the engine to lift and drop back down under the torque of accelerating. Replaced the motor mount and it solved the problem. Hope this helps someone that comes across this problem too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, new Dodge Durango owner here. Came over from a Dodge Ram because I need some extra space. Purchased a used 2012 Citadel AWD with 5.7, vehicle has 61k miles on it. After a week of driving, this weird thump feeling and noise began to appear. When I come to a complete stop at a stop sign and then accelerate, it happens randomly. The easiest way I could describe it is, it feels like something isn't catching right away when I accelerate. As in, maybe the front wheels are powered immediately but the rear wheels aren't, then the thump happens and they are.
The vehicle is currently at the shop now for the issue, but what always seems to happen when I bring vehicles in "we cant seem to reproduce the problem you are experiencing."
I was wondering if anybody on here experienced something similar and if so did you have it fixed and what was the issue? I'm hoping I could pass some more information off to the service department and help them locate the problem.
I’m having the same problem with my 2011 Durango Express but my truck cuts off but it starts back up normally

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had same feeling/noise when I accelerated, unless I babied it. Ended up having a flat tire and had to use the spare. Noise/feeling went away, mine was the spare moving around under acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, did the shop ever figure out what is happening. My Durango does the same thing when I take off, sounds like something is popping really loudly. We replaced front drive shaft and the motor mounts cause they were damaged. But still making a loud clunking noise. Please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
transfer case bro very expensive fix I’m going through it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, did the shop ever figure out what is happening. My Durango does the same thing when I take off, sounds like something is popping really loudly. We replaced front drive shaft and the motor mounts cause they were damaged. But still making a loud clunking noise. Please let me know. Thank you.
If you’re experiencing this it’s your transfer case

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I had this issue and it just turned out to be the TCase fluid. The dealerships have been putting ATF in them now even though the manual says to use the Mopar TCase fluid. I changed it with the proper stuff and the issue was gone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I had this issue and it just turned out to be the TCase fluid. The dealerships have been putting ATF in them now even though the manual says to use the Mopar TCase fluid. I changed it with the proper stuff and the issue was gone!
That’s good bro, the dealer ship is changing my y whole transfer case for 2,900

1 - 17 of 17 Posts