Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited about the tap shift feature while waiting on my D, but have found I really don't use it much! Typically when driving more 'spirited', I am doing more cornering. As I accelerate out of a corner it is hard to get to the correct paddle when the wheel is turning. A few vehicles ago I had a Grand Prix GXP w/ paddles on the wheel, but you would push forward to upshift and push backwards to downshift. It was still difficult at times, but easier since you could get to either paddle. Personally I prefer them on the shifter, but with our rotary shifter that isn't an option. I've also seen some sports cars with paddles behind the wheel that don't spin with the wheel. I'm sure I'd like it, but spending $100k+ isn't in my near future!

Curious to hear some other opinions.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'll be coming from a Charger with the tap shifter. It's so much fun. The paddle shifters will definitely take some getting used to, but I see myself not using them as often as using the shifter on my Charger simply because there are more gears to go through. I'll probably use it more for downshifting and extending the life of the brake pads rather than just playing around.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Funny - 1500 miles on my D and I have not used this feature yet! I had an SMG gearbox in my previous car. It was fun but in traffic a lot of work! I am lazy not that I have my D.

- Danny

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have another car that has the paddles fixed but left is downshift and right is upshift.
My Ford Flex, which the D replaced, the paddles moved with the wheel but either could uplift or downshift, I like that configuration the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A few vehicles ago I had a Grand Prix GXP w/ paddles on the wheel, but you would push forward to upshift and push backwards to downshift. It was still difficult at times, but easier since you could get to either paddle.

Curious to hear some other opinions.
LOL, we had similar cars back then. I had a 2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG with tap shift paddles. I rarely use them on my D since the 8 speed shifts so smoothly, I am glad the option is there though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I posted this thread I have deliberately started using them a bit more. You can definitely get more comfortable using them, but still an issue when needing to shift through a corner!

·
Registered
354 Posts
They are hard to use when cornerning, and I did not realize how much I turned the wheel until I tried to consistently use the paddles.

Since Chrysler has had autostick transmissions for years (my 04 has it - you shift the stick left and right) they have plenty of safety built in to prevent you from over-taxing the transmission if you don't shift when needed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
After having the vehicle, I don't think it's wasted at all. I've had it in Eco Mode and had issues with it not wanting to run on four cylinders in 8th gear (the Durango is so touchy when it comes to MDS vs my old Charger). I use the paddle shifters to manually downshift it two times then hold the upshift button to put in a gear lower than 8th that will let it run on four cylinders.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After having the vehicle, I don't think it's wasted at all. I've had it in Eco Mode and had issues with it not wanting to run on four cylinders in 8th gear (the Durango is so touchy when it comes to MDS vs my old Charger). I use the paddle shifters to manually downshift it two times then hold the upshift button to put in a gear lower than 8th that will let it run on four cylinders.
This may be a silly question, but how do you know when the MDS kicks in? On my 2011 Charger, there is an ECO notification that comes on at the top of the EVIC, but I dont see that on the new D. I have never been able to tell by feel.

·
Registered
469 Posts
This may be a silly question, but how do you know when the MDS kicks in? On my 2011 Charger, there is an ECO notification that comes on at the top of the EVIC, but I dont see that on the new D. I have never been able to tell by feel.
Usually I can feel it (the vibrations intensify in the seat on the backs of my legs) or hear the exhaust get louder (but my exhaust is still stock so I can't always hear it). I have the UltraGauge installed and when MDS does kick in the instant MPG readout will drop from 30ish to 18ish--this is the only way I've been able to tell every single time. I still cannot tell for certain going off the instant MPG readout from the Durango itself.

I will say, though, that I have a hell of a hard time keeping MDS on while driving on the parkway. I have no problem with it while driving in town. It's so odd. I've even started experimenting on the local 2-lane highway instead of the parkway and found it easier to keep MDS on while driving the highway instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: misterlv

·
Registered
29 Posts
Usually I can feel it (the vibrations intensify in the seat on the backs of my legs) or hear the exhaust get louder (but my exhaust is still stock so I can't always hear it). I have the UltraGauge installed and when MDS does kick in the instant MPG readout will drop from 30ish to 18ish--this is the only way I've been able to tell every single time. I still cannot tell for certain going off the instant MPG readout from the Durango itself.

I will say, though, that I have a hell of a hard time keeping MDS on while driving on the parkway. I have no problem with it while driving in town. It's so odd. I've even started experimenting on the local 2-lane highway instead of the parkway and found it easier to keep MDS on while driving the highway instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Ok. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'll use the shifters every once in a while. It sometimes helps break up the monotony of the 30 mile drive to/from work.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
X2^^^^
Whats next push buttons again?
STEVE

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's funny Steve--I'm old enough to remember those dreaded push button transmissions. One of the reasons I opted for the '13.
Bill

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sup dudes, slightly concerned. I have 1700MI on my new D R/T, 2014. I just started experimenting with the paddle shifters, they work absolutely fine under normal loads. However, when I get into it, on an on-ramp, let's say and upshift I get a quick "grind" sound. this is repeaded each shift until the rpms drop. down shifts under load "engine breaking" is fine. also up-shifting under normal driving is also fine. to this date, i still have not "floored it" yet so I'm not talking about serious manual upshifting, but it's still spirited driving notheless - should I be concerned? could I ask someone to test theirs out as well? again, no other concerns or issues, except for this one.....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sup dudes, slightly concerned. I have 1700MI on my new D R/T, 2014. I just started experimenting with the paddle shifters, they work absolutely fine under normal loads. However, when I get into it, on an on-ramp, let's say and upshift I get a quick "grind" sound. this is repeaded each shift until the rpms drop. down shifts under load "engine breaking" is fine. also up-shifting under normal driving is also fine. to this date, i still have not "floored it" yet so I'm not talking about serious manual upshifting, but it's still spirited driving notheless - should I be concerned? could I ask someone to test theirs out as well? again, no other concerns or issues, except for this one.....
'14 R/T AWD with 735 miles here. The only time it makes an "odd" noise when using the paddle shifters is when I shift at 5K RPMs. But that's the exhaust note making the noise, nothing under the hood.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts