Dodge Durango Forum banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

· Registered
2019 Durango GT
1 Posts
I noticed that when I went to the car wash that created the problem the water blasted the tail light assembly the gasket is poorly designed allowing water to go in. Its a non issue for dodge they make plenty of money $$$ to them its an expensive bulb that they make high profit. Maybe start posting pictures of all the failures if this gives them a bad reputation they may do something. If your driving and see one snap a pic and post it View attachment 112204 View attachment 112205 View attachment 112206 View attachment 112207 View attachment 112208
I had 3 Durango's already this one I had the same thing happen. Car wash, now the right side LED is out. Did you bring it to a dealer for repair?

· Registered
640 Posts
Did you bring it to a dealer for repair?
Did the repair myself

· Registered
204 Posts
Sucks that this tail light keeps going out. It's probably my favorite part of this truck and the reason I bought it in 12/2013. I'm on my 5th tail light at 95K miles. I had it replaced in 2021 with supposedly a new part to prevent common issue. It's going out again and Maxcare wont cover it this time. Strange because they have at least 2 times. I'm going to try and give them a call tomorrow. Are these race track lights the same for all years and models?

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,952 Posts
Yes

· Registered
352 Posts
Literally the same day someone gets one of these replaced you should go out and put a small bead to clear RTV across the top of it with the liftgate and then down each side where it meets the painted surface. You will not even see the clear bead and you will never have a problem again with water intrusion. You don't have to take it off or anything. See pics earlier in this forum. Its clear Dodge hasn't changed the design, so replacing it and expecting it to work better, not sure how that will ever work out. I absolutely love the racetrack and want it fully lit, I put the clear bead on and my 18 is bone dry.

· Registered
1 Posts
2022 new with 900 miles. Checking in Condensation in the brake light. Granted I have taken it to the car wash lots but a brand new car should be able to survive car washes. We’ll see if I can get it replaced since everything still actually works.

· Registered
640 Posts
Literally the same day someone gets one of these replaced you should go out and put a small bead to clear RTV across the top of it with the liftgate and then down each side where it meets the painted surface. You will not even see the clear bead and you will never have a problem again with water intrusion. You don't have to take it off or anything. See pics earlier in this forum. Its clear Dodge hasn't changed the design, so replacing it and expecting it to work better, not sure how that will ever work out. I absolutely love the racetrack and want it fully lit, I put the clear bead on and my 18 is bone dry.
I did silicone mine I put a bead along the entire top edge to the metal body the problem is that when the light is exposed to heat from the sun it bows out almost a 1/4'' at the middle breaking the bead . Its amazing with the 10 bolts that hold it in it can still bow out but when it cools it settles back into place. The left and right beads stay in place and those seem to be the most important.

@shadash made the best video so far of how to remove the light and new info about the price increase of the light. He shows how to bead the top of the light but the gasket also fails so both areas need to be addressed.

I started this thread to try to get support from Dodge to show all the failures any time Im driving at night 70% of the durangos that I see have a partial light failure. there must be at least 30 different threads here about this issue @DodgeCares may be able to help out. This is purely a design defect causing the failure no other vehicle on the road has this amount of issues with a light fixture. This is a signature detail of the Durango "The race track light" and I feel the aesthetic look is one of the best out there its a shame they did not update this design flaw to keep water out of the electronics the warranty replacement seems to be spotty with nost being turned down and only a few have been successful my guess is the dealer is absorbing the cost.

Now that its getting darker during commuting time snap pics of failed lights and post them here

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
760 Posts
Well, it would seem I procrastinated on the preventative sealing too long. Noticed water pooled on passenger side this AM. Drilled a #50 hole in each side to drain. Was snowing today, but should be back in mid-70's by Saturday. So I will take it off, dry fully, seal up, and silicone my drain holes.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Amber Automotive side marker light

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Wood Brick

· Registered
11 Posts
After reading all of the posts about water getting into the racetrack I took off the assembly from my 2017 R/T to see the condition of the gaskets. Fortunately the foam gasket surrounding both openings are in good shape as evidenced by the clean areas. Do not see any other path for water infiltration. Guess I have been lucky so far.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,930 Posts
After reading all of the posts about water getting into the racetrack I took off the assembly from my 2017 R/T to see the condition of the gaskets. Fortunately the foam gasket surrounding both openings are in good shape as evidenced by the clean areas. Do not see any other path for water infiltration. Guess I have been lucky so far.
Now that you removed the unit I would suggest adding addtional gasket material since your orignal gasket was compressed for 5 years and I highly doubt it will seal properly once reinstalled.

· Registered
400 Posts
Now that you removed the unit I would suggest adding addtional gasket material since your orignal gasket was compressed for 5 years and I highly doubt it will seal properly once reinstalled.
Yes, now that it is off 'Cambo' did a very nice diagram of the issue and the small channel to cut in the lower gasket to allow to drain....

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,

Just piling-on here; I've got a 2014 Citadel that I've treated with kid-gloves since I bought it new (only 55K miles on it so far in October of 2022). Not only have I repeatedly gotten actual puddles of water in the center rear racetrack light, BOTH of my front headlights have now started to collect water after the slightest weather event or quick automatic car wash.

With the headlights (in colder weather, like it is now), the heat from the lights and engine bay don't dry the water out at all.

I eventually had to resort to temporarily removing the adjustable vent caps from the back of the headlights (there are 3 per headlight) to help with evaporation. After removing the vent caps, I use a hair dryer, a small hose, and a hose adapter, in attempts to dry-out the puddles of water in each headlight (takes forever and only sometimes works).

I'm not sure that this is as much of an issue with other brands, but to me, it is abundantly clear that Dodge/MOPAR doesn't much care about these FACTORY DEFECTS. Multiple Dodge dealers and customer service reps in my area have told me that none of these problems are covered under warranty due to them being considered to be "like light bulbs" which are not covered, or "not essential for the safe operation of the vehicle," for the rear light.

Conveniently for Dodge, the headlight water issues started becoming noticable about a month - to the day - after my factory warranty expired. The rear racetrack light was denied for warranty repairs previous to that.

The cost for EACH headlight is over $700, last I was quoted, PLUS the labor to remove the old and install the new headlights at $120 per hour. The rear center racetrack was quoted to me at about $1200, plus labor. No bueno!

With as simple as the fixes/modifications are to correct these major issues to these part designs, it is immensely frustrating to see model year after model year persist with the same problems. The Durango is an exceptionally good vehicle for many purposes, and it's even fun to drive, but Dodge has really sullied the good will the overall vehicle design earns with a few particularly bad component designs, sub-par warranty support, and (in my experience) very poor customer service overall (at least in my area).

...And don't get me started on that rear windshield wiper and spray nozzle. I swear, most vehicle manufacturers must put their absolute worst warm-weather-hometown engineering rejects in the windshield wiper design departments. In particular, the rear-window wiper and nozzle is absolutely insufficient for purpose.

Anyway... Take care, all!

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
760 Posts
I removed mine, managing to break the trim panel on the inside of the hatch. Great...

Anyways, I cleaned the gasket surface real well, gooped the top and sides with a bead of silicone caulk, and caulked the sheetmetal at the top of the lens. Once reinstalled, I added another bead at the top of the lens.

Note that I left the center of the racetrack un-caulked to allow thermal expansion and contraction. We'll see how it goes.

Pics are out of order, but you get the drift...

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Plant Grass

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Plant Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Motor vehicle Bag Gas Auto part Electric blue

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
760 Posts
I removed mine, managing to break the trim panel on the inside of the hatch. Great...

Anyways, I cleaned the gasket surface real well, gooped the top and sides with a bead of silicone caulk, and caulked the sheetmetal at the top of the lens. Once reinstalled, I added another bead at the top of the lens.

Note that I left the center of the racetrack un-caulked to allow thermal expansion and contraction. We'll see how it goes.

Pics are out of order, but you get the drift...

View attachment 123497
View attachment 123496
View attachment 123498
View attachment 123495
Here are the rest...
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,952 Posts
Good luck getting it loose if you need to replace it or fix it.

· Registered
2021 Dodge Durango R/T AWD - Destroyer Gray
66 Posts
I got my racetrack light replaced under the extended warranty that I bought from Dodge. It is a 2021 certified preowned bought in October 2022. The warranty is the highest tier, Platinum, and it is called “My Mechanic” it is from the umbrella company Assurant but it is serviced by different providers depending on where you live. Here in Illinois it is administered by Automotive Warranty Services, Inc. $100 deductible for like 6 warranty fixes including the racetrack. Now I have to re-tint the racetrack light like my other one was.

Warranty:

Font Publication Paper Paper product Document

Font Music Parallel Paper Number

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light Grille

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

· Registered
477 Posts
Hello all!

Reaching out to again remind users that if you are experiencing related headlight concerns and are seeking support in combination with your dealer appointment we're here to help! We would like to review your vehicle information and work together with you and your dealer technician to find a solution. Hope to connect with some of you via private message!

Hannah
Dodge Cares

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
760 Posts
Hello all!

Reaching out to again remind users that if you are experiencing related headlight concerns and are seeking support in combination with your dealer appointment we're here to help! We would like to review your vehicle information and work together with you and your dealer technician to find a solution. Hope to connect with some of you via private message!

Hannah
Dodge Cares
Thanks for chiming in Hannah. This thread pertains to the racetrack tail light, not a headlight.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts