Dodge Durango Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

· Registered
640 Posts
I did layer more gasket material it lasted almost 2 years but then water ended up pooling in the light . Now the silicone is working . It looks like the giant hole was designed for a cap . I have never seen any type of wires entering a light fixture like this on any vehicle. The way the water trickles down it will hit the wire with the tape, wtf is that then follow the wire into the giant hole

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Registered
5,913 Posts
I've asked the dealer each time if they could take some preventative measures and they tell me they'll do "what they can." Apparently "what they can" is "nothing at all." That said, I'll have them keep replacing it (under warranty) as long as it takes until I sell this thing. Fortunately (unfortunately) the taillight keeps burning out again within the 2-year warranty period of the replacement.

Weep holes or leaving the side bolt out to allow water to drain out is fine, but the problem is once the water gets in at all and gets those electrical connections wet, they're toast. The water doesn't have to accumulate for this to happen. Drain holes will keep water from sloshing around (or freezing) inside the lens but it's not going to save the LEDs. I wonder why Dodge doesn't just use old-school butyl tape to surround that hilariously-large opening instead of the crappy foam that's clearly not working.
No surprise on the dealer not helping out here...probably afraid they will make it worse, though they should call Dodge on the issue!
I know I like many others are disappointed the recent refresh where they changed the front end and headlights that they didn't change the tail lights.
My '14 is still staying bone dry...and while I thought of pulling it to see if there is something different on the seal, I don't dare touch it and cause a leak if what you say that any water in there will cause LED failure.
As long as you can get them replaced under warranty...carry on Sir.

· Registered
4 Posts
Same issue with my 18 Dodge - noticed that part of the lights in the 'racetrack' werent working, noticed water. Drained the water and boom the whole rear track stops working!... Go to Dodge and ask for the cost for replacement and find out the part is on 'back order' with no date in sight... Approx $1500 plus tax for the part fitted....... if thats the case when the part does come in this car is being immediately sold... and having read the various forums its so piss poor that this is happening i can comfortably choose a different SUV, thankfully 2nd hand prices are high which is great, and new prices of cars not too bad..

· Registered
4 Posts
Same issue with my 18 Dodge - noticed that part of the lights in the 'racetrack' werent working, noticed water. Drained the water and boom the whole rear track stops working!... Go to Dodge and ask for the cost for replacement and find out the part is on 'back order' with no date in sight... Approx $1500 plus tax for the part fitted....... if thats the case when the part does come in this car is being immediately sold... and having read the various forums its so piss poor that this is happening i can comfortably choose a different SUV, thankfully 2nd hand prices are high which is great, and new prices of cars not too bad..
i'm actually surprised at the water ingress as this car is kept garaged, and as its black i havent bothered cleaning it since March 2019 (i mean its a $50k R/T so its the shopping/kids taxi car...).. with only 30k on the clock this is tough though and i also just had a front radiator failure. The last time i had one of those was in the UK on a RS Cosworth.. you just dont expect that on a car less than 4 years old. Price of service here in CT State is astonishingly high - i know i can go independent but then there is the hassle factor

· Registered
56 Posts
I think you are correct! 😁
68530337aa installed on my 14 rt. Everything lined up and works. Had a o crap moment when my uconnect didn’t turn on but after a power cycle everything including the camera works! Threw in some led reverse lights and sealed it with silicone. Only broke 1 retainer clip so I’m happy 😃

· Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,567 Posts
I feel for you Durango owners! Had a 2013 Durango Citadel that didn't have the Racetrack lighting...no problems. Currently have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with LED lighting but is similar to the Citadel in shape and function.

If I had "Racetrack" lighting and it failed...I'd be taking it off and bringing it to the local dealer and beating the Service Advisor over the head with it !!

• Haha
Reactions: Ollie Crow

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Used to see a few threads on here for Citadel Owners wanting to convert to Race Track lighting. Wonder if they regretted doing it?

· Registered
2,567 Posts
My 2013 Citadel rear lighting.......for those not familiar with the Citadel.

· Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,416 Posts
Used to see a few threads on here for Citadel Owners wanting to convert to Race Track lighting. Wonder if they regretted doing it?
My 2013 Citadel rear lighting.......for those not familiar with the Citadel.
That wasn't a Citadel tailight, all Gen 3 Durangos through 2013 got that taillight. Starting in 2014, all Durangos got the racetrack lighting. And for the record, after 7 years and 11 1/2 months and 196K miles, my racetrack lighting is dry and fully illuminated.

· Registered
640 Posts
That wasn't a Citadel tailight, all Gen 3 Durangos through 2013 got that taillight. Starting in 2014, all Durangos got the racetrack lighting. And for the record, after 7 years and 11 1/2 months and 196K miles, my racetrack lighting is dry and fully illuminated.
This is definitely weather related in the snow belt the salt attacks the gasket dries it out then water gets in the salty water also corrodes the LED circuitry. High pressure car washes also help destroy the gasket.

Its very clear in this picture how the gasket failed

Post pictures of failed lights here

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Grass Rectangle

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Kay....and you're extremely lucky with no water intrusion.

Reactions: RedHotFuzz

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well, the dealer denied my 4th taillight replacement. Went in last week, service tech told me it was under warranty (they installed the last replacement in August 2021), said they had the part in stock, so I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday. Went in Tuesday, sat at the dealership for 3 hours only for them to tell me it's not covered under warranty and my factory extended warranty won't cover it (he called them (or so he said)). Since I'm selling it soon due to a new Bronco finally arriving after a 2-year wait, I'm not paying out of pocket for a replacement. I guess my multi-year journey with Dodge's ridiculous Durango taillight has reached its sad conclusion. Hope I can find a buyer who isn't as picky as me. Farewell, worst taillight of any vehicle I've ever owned. 👋

· Premium Member
2,930 Posts
@RedHotFuzz not even a year? Should be under warranty for the replacement. It is obvious the tech did a shit job installing it and the other 3 you had done as well. They probably removed the old one and slapped the new one on with cleaning the areas and prepping it well. This is all on the dealer and you need to give Dodge a call and get them to understand this is not your fault.

· Registered
477 Posts
Hello @Bomber#27!

We can definitely give this matter a second look to see what we can do. Please send our team a private message with your VIN to strike up a conversation.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

Reactions: L-Dub

· Registered
15 Posts
Weird is I only hear about the Durango having this issue...but is not the only Dodge vehicle with LED tail lights.
Challenger, Charger and even the Journey had LED tails but I don't see or hear of them having water ingress issues...same with JGC or Ram.
However, my 2014 is still dry...so I don't buy that there is a design flaw when they don't all leak.
I have a 2018 Challenger SRT and noticed condensation in both back lights, as well as just noticed lower Rt side Track light 2020 GT out and you guessed it water.. So come tomorrow after Memorial weekend will be calling the dealer up to get it replaced, once they do I'll take it out and seal the crap out of it. Also look at the gaskets and and order some. I bought it for my wife after one Saturday we just stopped by the dealer to look, the next day she got pissed that she fell in love with it. So I surprised her two days later and bought for her, she loves the Durango and I do to a V6 I was surprised with the Zip as well as fuel mileage. Well the Zip isn't as good as the SRT but, it's got it.

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, the dealer denied my 4th taillight replacement. Went in last week, service tech told me it was under warranty (they installed the last replacement in August 2021), said they had the part in stock, so I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday. Went in Tuesday, sat at the dealership for 3 hours only for them to tell me it's not covered under warranty and my factory extended warranty won't cover it (he called them (or so he said)). Since I'm selling it soon due to a new Bronco finally arriving after a 2-year wait, I'm not paying out of pocket for a replacement. I guess my multi-year journey with Dodge's ridiculous Durango taillight has reached its sad conclusion. Hope I can find a buyer who isn't as picky as me. Farewell, worst taillight of any vehicle I've ever owned. 👋
Isn’t the repair from Aug 21 covered under their 12 month 12,000 mile warr.??

101 - 120 of 139 Posts