Dodge Durango Forum banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Okay, I decided enough is enough. Over 1" of water had pooled in the right (passenger) side of the race track. Surprisingly the lights are still functioning.
Not for long. Once those bottom lights get wet, they're toast. It's just a matter of time before the connections have corroded and failed.

· Registered
641 Posts
Im not surprised It has a large hole to let water in the gasket is to thin and fails . Same design with nothing changed will yield the same result. Forums are great we collectively post things with solutions to prevent issues and improve manufactured products the recommendation was a bead of silicone... $7 silicone or $1,000.00+ tail light I opted for the $7 fix for my 2021 I did go very small on the bead but the lens seems to move and the bead popped loose in the middle. Not a big deal just made the bead larger, it surprised me how much it moves the movement probabley assists with dirt, salt , road grime all combined to get behind the gasket

Look at the rust on the bolts that sit within the gasket

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle Grass

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
240 Posts
I found that even after replacing the old gaskets water was still getting in along the top edge of the light. Easy to silicone that up with the light off and problem solved so far. I go to gigg pressure car washes regularly so I check it every time. No leaks so far.

· Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,567 Posts
Im not surprised It has a large hole to let water in the gasket is to thin and fails . Same design with nothing changed will yield the same result. Forums are great we collectively post things with solutions to prevent issues and improve manufactured products the recommendation was a bead of silicone... $7 silicone or $1,000.00+ tail light I opted for the $7 fix for my 2021 I did go very small on the bead but the lens seems to move and the bead popped loose in the middle. Not a big deal just made the bead larger, it surprised me how much it moves the movement probabley assists with dirt, salt , road grime all combined to get behind the gasket

Look at the rust on the bolts that sit within the gasket

View attachment 119882
That's a Yuge Hole !

· Registered
536 Posts
It's amazing how people will dump a $50-$60k over a light burning out... I wish I could afford to do that. My turn signal burnt out, time for a new car

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
It's amazing how people will dump a $50-$60k over a light burning out... I wish I could afford to do that. My turn signal burnt out, time for a new car

$1k to change out the light so it is not a $3 bulb rather a good incentive to move the Durango along to someone else who can deal with leaking expensive lights the mfg will not support. And yes I am a rich man who can afford to dump a Dodge o_O;)

· Registered
5,919 Posts
A serious design flaw FCA REFUSES to address. Another reason this is my 1st, and last FCA vehicle.
Well you can't buy an FCA vehicle any longer...new owner is Stellantis...which is a merger with the PSA group. Headed by Carlos Tavares who is an Engineer.
But from what he's said, it seems clear to me their focus is on new EV platforms and PHEV's. The current Durango is on an old platform that will probably be discontinued by '23/'24 so don't expect any more money thrown its way. I'm sure the focus is more on the current Jeep platforms and the Uconnect 5 issues than the much smaller number of leaking Durango tail lights.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

1) The LED racetrack taillight is a primary design feature of the Durango. None of us want to drive a $60k vehicle around with a burned-out taillight that cannot be user-fixed. It looks like trash.
2) The cause of the light burnout is THE TAILLIGHT FILLING UP WITH WATER. In the year 2022 automobiles should not have taillights that fill up with water. This is a Dodge problem, not a customer problem.

· Registered
5,919 Posts
We all agree...HOWEVER, your current course of action of just having the dealer replace it is not working. So maybe you should ask your dealer if they will put a bead of silicone on the replacement or add something to help out? Throw them a few bucks if you don't want to hassle with it. Though I'd still just drill a couple weep holes on the bottom where the water collects and call it a day.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
We all agree...HOWEVER, your current course of action of just having the dealer replace it is not working. So maybe you should ask your dealer if they will put a bead of silicone on the replacement or add something to help out? Throw them a few bucks if you don't want to hassle with it. Though I'd still just drill a couple weep holes on the bottom where the water collects and call it a day.
I've asked the dealer each time if they could take some preventative measures and they tell me they'll do "what they can." Apparently "what they can" is "nothing at all." That said, I'll have them keep replacing it (under warranty) as long as it takes until I sell this thing. Fortunately (unfortunately) the taillight keeps burning out again within the 2-year warranty period of the replacement.

Weep holes or leaving the side bolt out to allow water to drain out is fine, but the problem is once the water gets in at all and gets those electrical connections wet, they're toast. The water doesn't have to accumulate for this to happen. Drain holes will keep water from sloshing around (or freezing) inside the lens but it's not going to save the LEDs. I wonder why Dodge doesn't just use old-school butyl tape to surround that hilariously-large opening instead of the crappy foam that's clearly not working.

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
240 Posts
Design flaw for the past 9 years? That would be hard to find other then with the Durango which is blatant.
LOL. Search for Honda VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) problems. Causing broken engine mounts, fouled spark plugs, leaky piston rings, and burned up torque convertor on V-6 Hondas since 2005! And yes, they are still using it in 2022!

Every OEM has its points of total failure. Some just more ridiculous than others, and I agree the Durangos crappy taillight is a ridiculously easy problem to fix!

Most reliable car I ever had was a 2004 WRX. Neve put a foot wrong, and I modded the crap out of that thing. But, very few electronics, no driver aids...not much to go wrong except drivetrain, A/C, and power windows. It's been all downhill from there. :LOL:

· Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
281 Posts
Rather than deal with the hassle of disassembly and re-assembly, I chose the $7 silicone route where the top of the light housing meets the back hatch door. Did that right after I got the '21 late last spring. So far, so good. Even if I have to re-apply a thin bead across the top every few years, cheap insurance. I agree it is beyond ANNOYING, and a design flaw that should have been addressed with either a better/thicker gasket, a liberal application of silicone around the gasket on the assembly line, or a closed housing, but as many pointed out, EVERY vehicle has some sort of design flaw. Most manufacturers/engineers are not "incentivized" to change it unless it is an outright safety recall issue, or there is a big enough negative hit to sales...:(

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
LOL. Search for Honda VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) problems. Causing broken engine mounts, fouled spark plugs, leaky piston rings, and burned up torque convertor on V-6 Hondas since 2005! And yes, they are still using it in 2022!
That reminds me of the 2013 MY with Hemi engines blowing up (in particular 6.4s) due to sheap timing chain tensioner components. The guides would blow apart due to the harmonics caused by the MDS system and and the engine would grenade.

· Registered
352 Posts
1) The LED racetrack taillight is a primary design feature of the Durango. None of us want to drive a $60k vehicle around with a burned-out taillight that cannot be user-fixed. It looks like trash.
2) The cause of the light burnout is THE TAILLIGHT FILLING UP WITH WATER. In the year 2022 automobiles should not have taillights that fill up with water. This is a Dodge problem, not a customer problem.
Guys, come on, we ALL agree that the design sucks, and it hasn't changed for like 9 years. All you freaking have to do is put a tiny clear silicone bead across the top of the light and down the sides, leave it in the garage over night to dry and this problem goes away (Plenty of pictures, part numbers in this thread). I'm frustrated by it, its a Dodge problem a agree, I put the bead on 2 years ago before water got in and there isn't a single drop of water in mine and there never will be until someone cuts through the bead, takes the light off, and doesn't put a new bead on. Its super simple, super cheap, and way less hassle than going back to the dealer over and over and somehow expecting some new design on a vehicle that is at the end of its life.

And just so we are all on the same page, the racetrack on the liftgate is purely cosmetic, its not a safety device.

· Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,567 Posts
No one has come up with a "Fix" where the huge hole is capped? Or maybe adding a second layer of gasket material over the original to keep water intrusion out?

The dust on the gasket in this picture tells me it's a poor seal....

If nothing else...add a second gasket to the top half of the OEM gasket to keep water from running down into the giant hole? Of course all this means you need to pull the tail light of your new vehicle to be preemptive from the water intrusion.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts