Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m on my 3rd racetrack taillight (2016 model). The 3rd was just installed a couple of months ago. I figured the leaking problems had been solved since, you know, we’re now in 2020, and there were mentions of a “new design” on the forums. I went to jump in the Durango last night and saw THERE IS WATER INSIDE THE TAIL LIGHT AGAIN!!!! Seriously, WTF is the problem with Dodge on this issue? Do they just not care? How can this persist, year after year??? This is the first vehicle I’ve ever owned that’s incapable of refraining from filling up with water. What century are we in???

· Registered
434 Posts
I get what you saying. Ironically our 2018 GT, used to collect water. I even got a pic, of me draining water out. Honestly tho, all kidding aside; this is unacceptable for the consumer.
Now, I see no water inside tail light even after rain. I am going keep this pic, in case it ever goes out and show them.

Attachments

· Registered
352 Posts
Reactions: DurangoGT+DG

· Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD Blacktop Edition
177 Posts
Surprisingly I have not had that problem on my '17 (yet). Knock on wood.....

I'd agree with these guys on the silicone. Also check and make sure your reverse light bulbs and all electrical connectors are properly seated and gaskets aren't damaged. Something doesn't sound right if it keeps happening...

I just used clear RTV between the lens and liftgate while its installed, went clear across the back and down the sides (when open) took about 5 min, no water getting in there now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex...vltn45zCKqNqmgTUMdQvf0U_kp-64bRRoCb_wQAvD_BwE
^^Same here!

· Registered
5,913 Posts
My '14 doesn't leak...120K so some of them are getting installed correctly.
That said, it seems the simple fix is to remove one of the lower bolts....though I fully understand the frustration. Maybe the dealer is just re-installing your old taillights?

· Registered
640 Posts
I noticed that when I went to the car wash that created the problem the water blasted the tail light assembly the gasket is poorly designed allowing water to go in. Its a non issue for dodge they make plenty of money $$$ to them its an expensive bulb that they make high profit. Maybe start posting pictures of all the failures if this gives them a bad reputation they may do something. If your driving and see one snap a pic and post it

· Registered
905 Posts
Chrysler is on their 14th design revision of this unit for what I can gather by the part number progression.

Part Number: 68453659AA
Supersession(s): 68155950AD; 68155950AE; 68155950AF; 68155950AG; 68155950AH; 68155950AI; 68155950AJ; 68292432AB; 68292432AC; 68319595AA; 68319595AB; 68367547AA; 68367547AB; 68367547AC

My 2014 has not leaked and I don't see anything mentioned about the PO having anything done with it. But all is not well. Saturday night my wife backed into a mail box and broke the rear driver's side tail lamp and crushed the upper corner of the center section. I used HD packaging tape as a temporary fix until the new drive's side tail lamp arrives (OEM replacement, not messing with an aftermarket unit). I used silicone on the corner of center section to try and seal it up. It looks like hell, but I am only hoping it lasts through winter and then I will replace it with a new Mopar unit., because honestly I just don't have the spare $650 right now.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My '14 doesn't leak...120K so some of them are getting installed correctly.
That said, it seems the simple fix is to remove one of the lower bolts....though I fully understand the frustration. Maybe the dealer is just re-installing your old taillights?
Definitely not just a re-install, since the previous lenses had burned-out sections after the water intrusion.

· Registered
427 Posts
My 14 has a unlit section on the left as well. In addition to sealing the top and sides with clear silicone, there are 4 small bolts (two on each side); typically you take out the bottom left and right to drain the taillight. I have just left the two bottom bolts out, with the hopes that any water that gets in will (hopefully) drain out by itself.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That said, it seems the simple fix is to remove one of the lower bolts....though I fully understand the frustration.
Removing the lower bolts does allow the water to drain out, but only after getting the LED connectors at the bottom of the lens wet. My understanding is the connectors then corrode, resulting in the "burned-out" section. Ultimately the damage is already done before the water can escape through the bolt hole. I just can't believe this one only made it a couple of months. Infuriating.

· Registered
2014 Durango SXT Plus RWD 3.6L White Knuckle--2018 Durango SXT AWD 3.6L Granite Crystal Anodized Pkg
132 Posts
I have a 2014 with 176k and a 2018 with 55k and neither one has ever leaked. The 2014 has been bumped twice in the rear and had RT/RR lamp broken and replaced, so it's not like the rear end has been handled with kid gloves or anything.
If there are no cracks in the housing, it must be leaking in from where it bolts to the tailgate. I don't see any other entry points.

· Registered
640 Posts
The gasket is to thin and it will eventually fail

· Registered
2014 Durango SXT Plus RWD 3.6L White Knuckle--2018 Durango SXT AWD 3.6L Granite Crystal Anodized Pkg
132 Posts

That makes sense.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The question is why haven’t they resolved this issue at the factory after all these years???

· Registered
7 Posts
i know this is an older thread, but in the Ram forum there is RamCares who get involved to assist Ram owners with some of their issues. In this Durango forum is there a Mopar agent assist such as that? I never seen one as of yet. Ma6be they are told not to get involved in such a large pr9blem that affects the majority of Durango owners? This problem seams to be a matter of when its going to occur and not if. Im going through it now myself after noticing my wifes burned out in the lower right side. Removed the bolt as suggested and jumped back from the stream that poured out. Like a horse taking a piss.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts