Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All--

So, as most of you know, the only option for upholstery for those of us who ordered the Lightweight package with the second row bench seat is the Black leather with Suede inserts . . . since I can't stand suede, I had an upholstery shop replace those inserts with perforated leather . . . while it was in the shop, they sent me pictures of the second row seats in the "tumbled" position--i.e.: folded forward, so access to third row seats would be possible, and that got me to thinking that maybe I could add a set of third row seats.

To tumble these forward, there are a couple of small cables that you pull to release the latches on the floor, then they tumble forward.

I started researching and found that the third row seats are basically the same between 2011 and 2021, so I found a set from a 2018 in a salvage yard and had them delivered to my upholstery shop, who then re-covered them in the same leather as the other two seats.

Here are the steps I performed to add these seats:

1.) I removed the small filler piece between the second row seats and the two compartment covers
2.) I removed the compartment covers
3.) I removed the rear load floor, which is the cover over the rear compartment
4.) I installed the seat belts and retractors for the third row seats
5.) I installed the third row seats and connected the wiring harness to the headrest remote fold (though, there isn't an app in UConnect where I can use this feature--yet)
6.) I installed the third row specific load floor/rear compartment cover

I still have to install the seatbelt "anchor" buckles on each side of the seat (hopefully they will arrive by next weekend), and to make it more like a factory installation, I need to find the recliner assemblies and mechanisms from a second row bench vehicle that has third row seats, like a GT . . . still working on that . . .

These are the parts I purchased for the installation:

• Seat of third row seats from a salvage yard
  • 3rd Row Outer Seat Belt, Left, part number 6JW85DX9AA (includes the bolt for the top of the seat belt)
  • 3rd Row Outer Seat Belt, Right, part number 6JW88DX9AA (includes the bolt for the top of the seat belt)
  • 2 Pan Head Screws, part number 6105124AA (to bolt the retractors in)
  • 2 Buckle Assemblies-3rd Row Side, Right and Left, part number 6JW96XXXAA
  • Cargo Area Tray Cover, part number 5LC38DX9AJ

These seats use two bolts in the front, and 4 nuts in the rear, as well as a couple of plastic trim covers for the front bolts; my seats came with these, but if you plan on doing this update and yours doesn't come with them, you can get those at your nearest Dodge dealer.

If anybody knows the part numbers for the recliner assemblies, and the bottom shields for under the seats, that would be helpful . . .

Pictures are Before and After, from the rear

Before:
Car Vehicle White Light Motor vehicle

After:
Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't ask me why there are two part numbers for each side so you better have your dealer cross reference with a non-Lightweight Package VIN to get the right part numbers.

The images below are from this page...

Item #9 below are the under seat shields and Item #13 are the smaller inside latch covers. You may need item #12 as well.

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Reactions: Stonecoldtx

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
967 Posts
Make sure you post the cargo compartment parts in the For Sale section as there have been a few people here looking to remove the third row and go lightweight.

Reactions: Stonecoldtx

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's pretty cool. What was your final cost on the upgrade?
Well, the seat was $250, the upholstery was $1400, and the total so far, including those is $2263 . . .

That's with online pricing, shipping, etc. for all the parts . . .

If someone buys a seat that closely matches the upholstery already there, or if they find an upholstery shop who will do the work to re-cover the seats for less, that amount could be reduced considerably . . .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't ask me why there are two part numbers for each side so you better have your dealer cross reference with a non-Lightweight Package VIN to get the right part numbers.

The images below are from this page...

Item #9 below are the under seat shields and Item #13 are the smaller inside latch covers. You may need item #12 as well.

View attachment 117560

View attachment 117561
Thanks, Clark--

I have been looking online, and considering all the parts that I will need, it looks like the most cost effective option for me is to buy a used second row bench seat as a donor, and just move all the mechanisms over to my seat . . . the going price for both sides seems to be around $250, so tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get a nice one from one of the later models listed on Car-Part.com

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure you post the cargo compartment parts in the For Sale section as there have been a few people here looking to remove the third row and go lightweight.
I would definitely sell these parts, but shipping them might be a problem, due to the size of the bins . . . so if possible, I think I'd rather sell them locally, if there's someone in the DFW area who's interested in them . . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have any idea how much the 3rd row seat weighs? I've never seen an actual number on how much weight the "lightweight package" saves.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
967 Posts
I have always felt that since the Durango is a heavy monster and unlikely to be raced seriously, what is the point of a lightweight package? The seats probably weigh 2-300 lbs but the bins and covers that replace them could be 50-75 lbs. Just my guess. Losing that weight might save you a tenth in your race against any other SRT or Hellcat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have always felt that since the Durango is a heavy monster and unlikely to be raced seriously, what is the point of a lightweight package? The seats probably weigh 2-300 lbs but the bins and covers that replace them could be 50-75 lbs. Just my guess. Losing that weight might save you a tenth in your race against any other SRT or Hellcat.
I can guarantee that the third row seats weigh nowhere NEAR that . . . maybe--MAYBE 100lbs . . . I didn't weigh it when I had it out, but I carried it and placed it into the rear area by myself . . . the bins are thin plastic, and the covers weigh maybe 5lbs apiece . . .I would guess maybe 25-30lbs total for everything.

So, a weight gain of maybe 70lbs or so . . .

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
967 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking of the 2nd row for some reason, but don't forget the seatbelts and the pans under the seat that you were looking for. Probably all plastic though.

·
Registered
2021 DDHC (ordered 6/25/21, arriving OOA 9/17/21)
11 Posts
Maybe it’s considered light weight so you don’t race with all your buddies pilled in all 3 rows :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2021 Durango SRT 392
26 Posts
Hi, All--

So, as most of you know, the only option for upholstery for those of us who ordered the Lightweight package with the second row bench seat is the Black leather with Suede inserts . . . since I can't stand suede, I had an upholstery shop replace those inserts with perforated leather . . . while it was in the shop, they sent me pictures of the second row seats in the "tumbled" position--i.e.: folded forward, so access to third row seats would be possible, and that got me to thinking that maybe I could add a set of third row seats.

To tumble these forward, there are a couple of small cables that you pull to release the latches on the floor, then they tumble forward.

I started researching and found that the third row seats are basically the same between 2011 and 2021, so I found a set from a 2018 in a salvage yard and had them delivered to my upholstery shop, who then re-covered them in the same leather as the other two seats.

1.) I removed the small filler piece between the second row seats and the two compartment covers
5.) I installed the third row seats and connected the wiring harness to the headrest remote fold (though, there isn't an app in UConnect where I can use this feature--yet)

I still have to install the seatbelt "anchor" buckles on each side of the seat (hopefully they will arrive by next weekend), and to make it more like a factory installation, I need to find the recliner assemblies and mechanisms from a second row bench vehicle that has third row seats, like a GT . . . still working on that . . .

• 3rd Row Outer Seat Belt, Left, part number 6JW85DX9AA (includes the bolt for the top of the seat belt)
  • 3rd Row Outer Seat Belt, Right, part number 6JW88DX9AA (includes the bolt for the top of the seat belt)

These seats use two bolts in the front, and 4 nuts in the rear, as well as a couple of plastic trim covers for the front bolts; my seats came with these, but if you plan on doing this update and yours doesn't come with them, you can get those at your nearest Dodge dealer.

If anybody knows the part numbers for the recliner assemblies, and the bottom shields for under the seats, that would be helpful . . .

Before: View attachment 117553

After: View attachment 117554
Would have been simpler to just order it and cheaper!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, All--

Hi, All--

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I purchased a salvage yard bench seat out of a 2017, just for the recliner mechanisms and other assorted parts that make up the differences between a vehicle that came with a bench seat and a third row, and one that didn't have a third row, like mine . . . there are some differences in the recliner mechanisms, and the seats from the third-row vehicle also include a couple of gas struts to help raise the seat into the "tumbled" position, as well as some plastic covers for under the seats.

The seat itself was $250, and I'm sure that the parts themselves would run much more than that if I were to somehow be able to find a dealer that could look them up (these parts are not detailed anywhere I can find online, even in the online Dodge Service Manual), and it's a leather seat, so I might be able to sell it with the recliner mechanisms from my seats afterward . . .

Attached are pictures before and after for the left side:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover
Automotive design Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Bag Carbon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts