Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I will say that while Kumho work great for all season highway tires, they do not do well in deep snow. I tried to back up over my 8 inch retaining wall on the driveway and 8 more inches of snow to get to our porch so I could unload GS cookies without dragging in a ton of snow into the house and it just spun in AWD, 4-lock, and 4 low.

I might consider some mudders the next time I need tires just to see how they perform. It would be great to be able to drive through 12-18 inches of snow for winter expeditions. I have considered some Mattracks, but they have a max speed of 40mph, so I would end up installing them for a weekend when I need them and taking them off for work, which would get annoying.
That’s not a tire issue that’s a ground clearance issue. You will not be able to drive the Durango through 12-18 inches of snow, it sits too low to the ground.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That’s not a tire issue that’s a ground clearance issue. You will not be able to drive the Durango through 12-18 inches of snow, it sits too low to the ground.
Its both; large highway tires still won't grab in deep snow.

I am also referring to increasing from the factory 245/70-17 to 33 or 35 inchers. Apologies for not clarifying that detail. I figured it was implied since nobody goes mudding or snow trekking with factory spec tires.

·
Registered
2014 Durango SXT Plus RWD 3.6L White Knuckle--2018 Durango SXT AWD 3.6L Granite Crystal Anodized Pkg
109 Posts
I will say that while Kumho work great for all season highway tires, they do not do well in deep snow. I tried to back up over my 8 inch retaining wall on the driveway and 8 more inches of snow to get to our porch so I could unload GS cookies without dragging in a ton of snow into the house and it just spun in AWD, 4-lock, and 4 low.

I might consider some mudders the next time I need tires just to see how they perform. It would be great to be able to drive through 12-18 inches of snow for winter expeditions. I have considered some Mattracks, but they have a max speed of 40mph, so I would end up installing them for a weekend when I need them and taking them off for work, which would get annoying.
I was only driving in 4-5 inches of snow. When I had to pass in the hammer lane, it was 6-8 inches deep out there. At 50-60 mph the back end would dance around. As long as I kept the throttle down, the front wheels would keep me pointed in the right direction.
Anything more than 4-5 inches, I would use cable chains or dedicated snow tires. The week before the storm I tried to purchase cable chains and de-icing fluid. Some of the forecasts were 6-9 inches from both storms. Unfortunately I couldn't find any in the Dallas area. Fortunately we ended up at the lower end of the forecast.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
248 Posts
Oops. You posted this in the wrong thread.🤔

Reactions: cerd and Urbish
41 - 47 of 47 Posts