Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is what the Chrysler Capital Lease-End Guide says. Maybe it depends on the inspector you get. But it certainly reads like they could ding you for having non-OEM tire sizes, brands, or models. Not worth the fight IMHO.
Interesting, I'll have to look into that more if my 3 years comes up and I need tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm now wondering if the dealership would do anything to help subsidize the cost of new tires if I complain enough. Anyone have any experience with dealers after the sale for something like this that really affects the usability of the vehicle? I'm guessing I don't have a shot in the world to get them to do anything, but just curious if anyone has ever tried.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard other Citadel owners mention the Ecopia tires are not snow worthy. I cannot speak for snow, but I can say we got 70,000 miles out of the factory set of Ecopia. On the highway, even with rain we didn't see anything terrible about them. We now have 184,xxx miles on our 2016 Citadel Awd, and on our third set of Bridgestone's. The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus is our choice for the second, and third set.

We get snow in Oklahoma, but nothing to brag about. We have 75% of the miles as highway miles, and the Alenza tires have a 80,000 mile warranty. For a retired couple who is always on the road, 80,000 miles is a blessing. I picked up a piece of metal in PC Beach in one Alenza which could not be repaired. They did not have a 265-50-20 Alenza at Sams which is where we buy our tires. A while back I purchased a 20 inch Grand Cherokee wheel for a spare from off Ebay. So I threw on the spare which was a Continental conti-contact sumnother tire. Hey I bought it for spare use only, the conti was noisy. Our Sams replaced the Alenza with the road hazard, once we returned . Noise went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, when did Dodge switch to those tires? My 2014 came with Michelin tires that were decent in the snow and lasted 85000 miles. I replaced them with Kumho HT51's and they are great all around, but are definitely a truck tire

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The best thing I did for the wife’s Durango was to put real snow tires on it. Coming from a Quadra Drive Jeep GC the Durango just didn’t have what the Jeep does. Putting snow tires on the Durango improved snow traction 200%. Stock tires were the Goodyear something or other! Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know how else to say it other than these tires really suck in the snow. Could barely get up a hill near my house, a hill I climb regularly in my Honda Accord in the snow.i
Got rid of the Hankook All Season OEM on my 2014 DDRT for a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T. Big difference especially in all the snow lately up here in the northeast. Only downside is lower MPG but not by much.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My wife is going to be so mad at me when I tell her I want to spend $1000 on new tires for our new suv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too went with the Kumhos, Consumer Reports recommended. So far so good in snow. I to live in Upper Michigan, and care more about traction in snow and rain. I'll keep ya posted as far as how they wear. I don't care about mileage, as safety is worth the cost of a few gallons of gas. IMHO!! I also have the 5.7 Citadel. Anyone who drives these and worries about mileage, makes me smile a little bit. I'm old, and I still like to hear the roar of that exhaust, and get pushed back into my seat. Hemi forever!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Now I have to decide if I want to get some winter tires and keep the Ecopias for the non-snowy seasons, or do I get the Continental or the Pirelli all-seasons? I wonder if someone would buy the Ecopias if I did this. Make back a little bit of money maybe.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Now I have to decide if I want to get some winter tires and keep the Ecopias for the non-snowy seasons, or do I get the Continental or the Pirelli all-seasons? I wonder if someone would buy the Ecopias if I did this. Make back a little bit of money maybe.
Maybe wait and try them out for yourself. I know this is a hate on Ecopia tread, I had them for 2 Wisconsin winters and made it through absolutely fine. Great, probably not, but entirely serviceable. I would 100% not rush out and replace them on a new vehicle when they have 100% tread. Possibly you change them out earlier than you would, but not right away, that's crazy. I switched out to General Grabber HST60's at 40,000 miles and they are also fine for all season tires.

Reactions: va-terps4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know how else to say it other than these tires really suck in the snow. Could barely get up a hill near my house, a hill I climb regularly in my Honda Accord in the snow.i
Thanks for posting, ended up in my neighbors yard a foot from his tree last week. Slow turn and the D kept going straight. 28K and will be switching them before next winter here in West MI. Agree the Ecopia's are horrible in the snow and ice. Wish I had my Blizzaks back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2019 R/T AWD: I think it depends what kind of snow and what the ambient temperature is. I live in the NYC metro area and since October 2018, we've had four snows of five inches or more and the Ecopia 422s did VERY well climbing unplowed hills. I had a set of Thule chains in the back seat, just in case. Never needed them. So, the snows here have been wet with temps in the high twenties. Based upon all the negativity here, I'm speculating that my success is due to having "snowball" type of snow rather than Minnesota weather or more of a dry powder like you get in the Sierras.

That said, it's ice that scares me the most with these tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
2019 R/T AWD: I think it depends what kind of snow and what the ambient temperature is. I live in the NYC metro area and since October 2018, we've had four snows of five inches or more and the Ecopia 422s did VERY well climbing unplowed hills. I had a set of Thule chains in the back seat, just in case. Never needed them. So, the snows here have been wet with temps in the high twenties. Based upon all the negativity here, I'm speculating that my success is due to having "snowball" type of snow rather than Minnesota weather or more of a dry powder like you get in the Sierras.

That said, it's ice that scares me the most with these tires.
It was mostly packed snow that had been driven over many times. Haven't tried in deep powder yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for posting, ended up in my neighbors yard a foot from his tree last week. Slow turn and the D kept going straight. 28K and will be switching them before next winter here in West MI. Agree the Ecopia's are horrible in the snow and ice. Wish I had my Blizzaks back!
Yeah, I'll never see 28k in this truck. 3 year lease and my wife who drives it averages about 5k per year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yup the stockers suck.
Im running Cooper AT3 4S. True all weather tire. It’s amazing, quiet and the grip in slick conditions is great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yup the stockers suck.
Im running Cooper AT3 4S. True all weather tire. It’s amazing, quiet and the grip in slick conditions is great.
I got AT3’s on my truck, I won’t put them on our Durango. Especially since it’s a citadel. The aggressive tread would look stupid on it. I can see how you get away with it on an RT. But I’ve been happy with them on my truck. Had them put on in 2011 and they got about 42,000 miles on them. I only drive my truck 3-5k a year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got AT3’s on my truck, I won’t put them on our Durango. Especially since it’s a citadel. The aggressive tread would look stupid on it. I can see how you get away with it on an RT. But I’ve been happy with them on my truck. Had them put on in 2011 and they got about 42,000 miles on them. I only drive my truck 3-5k a year.
yeah I go for safety quality and useability, not looks

will probably also put them on my 2019 Ram this year

·
Registered
2014 Durango SXT Plus RWD 3.6L White Knuckle--2018 Durango SXT AWD 3.6L Granite Crystal Anodized Pkg
109 Posts
If you live in snowy areas, NEVER buy anything labelled as "fuel saver or eco". I have had really good results with Kumho tires on all of my vehicles...a sedan, a crossover, an SUV, and even a motorhome.
I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone at 65,000 miles with 4/32 left. I put on Kumho Crugen HT51 265/50/20 111T. I have never bought Kumho before but at $790 for a set installed, tax, road hazard warranty and lifetime balance and rotation included, I couldn't pass it up.
I just drove them 2,500 miles over 8 days in the DFW Metroplex during the Dallas Snowpocalypse and they worked flawlessly. They took me everywhere I went, even areas I shouldn't have went. I would recommend these for a low cost snow capable tire.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone at 65,000 miles with 4/32 left. I put on Kumho Crugen HT51 265/50/20 111T. I have never bought Kumho before but at $790 for a set installed, tax, road hazard warranty and lifetime balance and rotation included, I couldn't pass it up.
I just drove them 2,500 miles over 8 days in the DFW Metroplex during the Dallas Snowpocalypse and they worked flawlessly. They took me everywhere I went, even areas I shouldn't have went. I would recommend these for a low cost snow capable tire.
I will say that while Kumho work great for all season highway tires, they do not do well in deep snow. I tried to back up over my 8 inch retaining wall on the driveway and 8 more inches of snow to get to our porch so I could unload GS cookies without dragging in a ton of snow into the house and it just spun in AWD, 4-lock, and 4 low.

I might consider some mudders the next time I need tires just to see how they perform. It would be great to be able to drive through 12-18 inches of snow for winter expeditions. I have considered some Mattracks, but they have a max speed of 40mph, so I would end up installing them for a weekend when I need them and taking them off for work, which would get annoying.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts