Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how else to say it other than these tires really suck in the snow. Could barely get up a hill near my house, a hill I climb regularly in my Honda Accord in the snow.i

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
282 Posts
They are highway tires, my friend, with a hard compound.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yea I was just reading tire rack reviews and they got very bad marks, including tread life. I dont know what has happened to this company but I had a set of firestones (same company) on my sons last charger v6 and by 7k they were almost done, completely unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you live in snowy areas, NEVER buy anything labelled as "fuel saver or eco". I have had really good results with Kumho tires on all of my vehicles...a sedan, a crossover, an SUV, and even a motorhome.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They are highway tires, my friend, with a hard compound.
Yes, they certainly are a hard compound. Not sure I could have made the dealer do anything about it, but I should have inquired at least. Shame on me. Pretty sad that the manufacturer chose the absolute worst rated tire possible. Again, shame on me for not doing my research.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, they certainly are a hard compound. Not sure I could have made the dealer do anything about it, but I should have inquired at least. Shame on me. Pretty sad that the manufacturer chose the absolute worst rated tire possible. Again, shame on me for not doing my research.
Its just a marketing scheme. They do get slightly better mileage; which boosts the number that they can put on the documentation, but they also have terrible traction. They might as well put some solid core plastic tires on the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't know how else to say it other than these tires really suck in the snow. Could barely get up a hill near my house, a hill I climb regularly in my Honda Accord in the snow.i
I too am disappointed in these. I tried to climb a small hill in my yard in 5" of snow. No dice. I'll suffer through this winter but will invest in winter tires for next year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too am disappointed in these. I tried to climb a small hill in my yard in 5" of snow. No dice. I'll suffer through this winter but will invest in winter tires for next year.
Same here, I think I might just bite the bullet and get some new tires now. Will try to sell these used for a couple hundred bucks maybe. No one in their right mind would sink more than $200 into these tires, for highway summer tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't like the Ecopia either, but I've made it to 28k+ on them. Each fall I've told myself I will get something better before winter. But they have worn well, and I'm on a lease so I would need to stay with the same tire or switch to the OEM pirelli setup. I do find that the Ecopia have gotten a bit grippier as they've aged. At this point, I'm just going to leave them on until my new DDTNG shows up. But if I was keeping this one I would absolutely change to something with a higher load & V speed rating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What's a better all-season option? We hardly get any snow where we live. If I remember correctly, the OEM Bridgestones have a pretty high load rating, like 103 or something. I've been getting close to 20K miles out of the Bridgestones on my D (Hemi Citadel AWD), but they do get a bit noisy after 10K miles. They also seem to go out of balance more than usual.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What's a better all-season option? We hardly get any snow where we live. If I remember correctly, the OEM Bridgestones have a pretty high load rating, like 103 or something. I've been getting close to 20K miles out of the Bridgestones on my D (Hemi Citadel AWD), but they do get a bit noisy after 10K miles. They also seem to go out of balance more than usual.
These Nokians are pretty sweet, but would probably be overkill for your needs if you get little snow.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Looks like the two top rated in our size are clearly the pirelli Verde ii and the conti lx25... just in general. Not sure about for snow, too bad they don’t make the cross climates in our size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
The oem ecopias on ours are holding up ok. We only got 23,000 miles. When time comes to replace them I’ll probably go with cooper’s best offering in suv tires. Right now that would be the discoverer srx. I’m a cooper fanboy and have found them to be reasonable priced and well made. In my experience.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I replaced my tires early too at 36k after awful winter driving.

I have 14k now on my Nokian WR G4 tires. They have been great, totally transformed driving in snow. highly recommend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I replaced my tires early too at 36k after awful winter driving.

I have 14k now on my Nokian WR G4 tires. They have been great, totally transformed driving in snow. highly recommend.
How are they wearing on dry pavement? I've been strongly considering a set myself.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The oem ecopias on ours are holding up ok. We only got 23,000 miles. When time comes to replace them I’ll probably go with cooper’s best offering in suv tires. Right now that would be the discoverer srx. I’m a cooper fanboy and have found them to be reasonable priced and well made. In my experience.
I have Cooper Winter Evolution tires on my wife's car and they are fantastic in the snow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't like the Ecopia either, but I've made it to 28k+ on them. Each fall I've told myself I will get something better before winter. But they have worn well, and I'm on a lease so I would need to stay with the same tire or switch to the OEM pirelli setup. I do find that the Ecopia have gotten a bit grippier as they've aged. At this point, I'm just going to leave them on until my new DDTNG shows up. But if I was keeping this one I would absolutely change to something with a higher load & V speed rating.
Do they require OEM tires at lease turn-in? I've had leases before and all they cared about was that the tires were legal and would pass state inspection.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
282 Posts
They only need good, correct size tires for a lease return. Brand or style doesn't matter. They can't dictate tires because it's up to you to replace wear items as needed.

Reactions: kjjb0204

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tread of at least 4/32 inch when measured at the shallowest point
Tire type, size and brand must match and comply with manufacturer’s recommendations
That is what the Chrysler Capital Lease-End Guide says. Maybe it depends on the inspector you get. But it certainly reads like they could ding you for having non-OEM tire sizes, brands, or models. Not worth the fight IMHO.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts