Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I'm reading the tread with the CAI system not designed for the SRT hood. I also have seen many videos of people reviewing the Durango's with the SRT and one thing in common I see is a very dirty engine bay.
I think I would be angry at the fact all that water and filth gets under there each time it rains. It also can't be good for all the electrical components to constantly getting wet.

I'm wondering if anyone with the SRT hood has any issues from water damage? From 2011 to 2017 all the R/T models did not have a SRT hood and didn't need the extra cooling. I can see benefits from letting heat out and bring in cool air but the water is my issue.

I remember watching one video where a guy mentioned some kind of wrap that he was going to use on the events to stop the water but it allows air. Anyone know what that product is and has used it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok,
I'm reading the tread with the CAI system not designed for the SRT hood. I also have seen many videos of people reviewing the Durango's with the SRT and one thing in common I see is a very dirty engine bay.
I think I would be angry at the fact all that water and filth gets under there each time it rains. It also can't be good for all the electrical components to constantly getting wet.

I'm wondering if anyone with the SRT hood has any issues from water damage? From 2011 to 2017 all the R/T models did not have a SRT hood and didn't need the extra cooling. I can see benefits from letting heat out and bring in cool air but the water is my issue.

I remember watching one video where a guy mentioned some kind of wrap that he was going to use on the events to stop the water but it allows air. Anyone know what that product is and has used it?
When I first looked under the hood of my 2019 R/T I was surprised at how much dirtier the top of the motor was in comparison with my 2013 R/T without the SRT hood. With most of what is under the hood being covered in plastic I don't think having the vents really impacts the longevity of most parts and the trade off of letting more heat escape might actually increase the longevity of some parts.

The new Ford GT500 actually has a removable rain tray under the hood vent. I assume the rain tray is there for just the reasons you mention above. But it can easily be removed by the owner which I understand owners do when they track the car or take it to the dragstrip. Or I suppose if they don't drive it in the rain. LOL! Of course the hood vent in the GT500 is huge compared to the vents in our hoods.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I buy anything I go pretty deep in research looking for things that I like and things that may upset me. As cool and badass the SRT hood looks Dodge didn't think about the water issue. At least they don't seem like they did.
I keep my engine bay as clean as I can. I wipe down the engine bay after each wash which is usually once a week or every 2 weeks depending on the weather. If I had the SRT hood and it constantly got trashed up by the weather I would have to seek a way to stop the water from coming in.
Again I wonder what that sealant wrap stuff that guy was talking about, I gotta go find that YouTube video where he talks about it so I can research it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I completely appreciate the desire to keep things out of the rain (I cover lots of equipment that isn't used frequently), but there is no way an OEM is going to just slap a vented hood on a rig and not research the consequences. Understand that when you drive in a rain storm, the rain and spray from the vehicles in front is getting everywhere under the hood and the high quality connectors and components are not bothered at all. I believe the plastic PCM cover was new with the SRT hoods? The passenger side vent is right above the junction so the cover keeps it from being exposed (which could easily be for UV protection of the wires as much as any other environmental factor). Otherwise, if you look down the vents, not much is sensitive below either of them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the SRT hood, at first didn’t seem to bother. I do notice that dirt and rain goes through there. When Dodge replaced the rocker arms, and lifters they did state there was some rusted cams. Whatever cams are?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've got an 2018 R/T that has the Hellcat style hood. I haven't noticed it being any dirtier than the 2014 I traded in for it, and I'm a clean freak. The rain/snow doesn't seem to affect anything in the engine bay as far as I've seen so far either. I thought for sure that driving in the winter here would totally trash my engine bay. However, it isn't any dirtier than it would be in the summer, which is surprising. I do believe though, it probably depends more on where you live and how much dust and crap is in the air, which will relate to how clean or dirty the engine bay will be.

As for these hoods go, the Charger Hellcats had them for a few years prior to the Durango getting them, so this isn't a new concept for Dodge. Hellcat hoods aside, SRT hoods have been around since 2006, so Dodge has had a lot of time making sure these hoods are safe for the engines.

The only thing I can see being a problem with the Hellcat style hoods are aftermarket CAIs. I've seen some brands that have a sock/cover that can be put over them for water protection. I have seen plenty of guys that do run CAIs vs say an aFe Momentem GT closed box system, and have said they haven't had issues.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completely appreciate the desire to keep things out of the rain (I cover lots of equipment that isn't used frequently), but there is no way an OEM is going to just slap a vented hood on a rig and not research the consequences. Understand that when you drive in a rain storm, the rain and spray from the vehicles in front is getting everywhere under the hood and the high quality connectors and components are not bothered at all. I believe the plastic PCM cover was new with the SRT hoods? The passenger side vent is right above the junction so the cover keeps it from being exposed (which could easily be for UV protection of the wires as much as any other environmental factor). Otherwise, if you look down the vents, not much is sensitive below either of them.
The Fuse panel is underneath the left one and the the Air Cleaner essembly is right underneath the right one. That seems like 2 sensitive areas to me. I'm probably over thinking it a bit but it bothers me every time someone opens their SRT hood, there is a mess in those 2 areas. When I open my hood there is nothing like that anywhere.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Fuse panel is underneath the left one and the the Air Cleaner essembly is right underneath the right one. That seems like 2 sensitive areas to me. I'm probably over thinking it a bit but it bothers me every time someone opens their SRT hood, there is a mess in those 2 areas. When I open my hood there is nothing like that anywhere.
Mantis, you've got too much time on your hands! LOL!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I haven't really noticed an issue with either of my cars with the SRT hood. There is a lot of water around the air box when I wash them (I use a pressure washer), but that gets dabbed up when I give the engine bay a quick wipe after (something I have always done being an OCD type).

What I'd love to see is some sort of lid I could snap on when washing (like a tupperware lid), doesn't need to be 100% waterproof, just something to keep the bulk out. Tried to talk Weebz into making something like that, but he never seemed interested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Theres a plastic cover that goes over the PCM on the left side when you have the SRT hood, it helps keep the water/dirt off of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2018 SRT Durango since new with about 28,000 miles. I have the K&N CAI. I added the K&N Water sock they use on jet skis. They also supply a metal cover to bolt into the hood opening to block snow and rain. I've never needed t use it. I drive in major snow and rain events all over the Northeast with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spend the majority of my time behind the wheel of my SRT with a giant grin. The vents have caused no issue to me in any way, shape, or form. I live in the desert southwest so I welcome the extra cooling!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok,

No water problems here and I’ve had mine since 2018. Everything is protected from water. Even if water managed to get in do you know how hot this engine gets? Evaporation comes into play. I’m not sure what on the dirt issue either, I drive mine daily (even in crappy NE Ohio weather) and the filth is at a minimum. I think FCA did a great job sealing this monster up. It’s actually impressive for a Dodge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know I'm splitting hairs, but with the hood closed just and edge of the alternator and none of the AC compressor are directly below the vents. Again, if you live in a place like Seattle you're getting a ton of water while driving throughout the front of the car. Really thou, we are just defending what we have. I think the SRT hood looks great and an hours drive from here is pretty much 105* from June-September so I value the extra cooling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts