Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Super Moderator
One other good option for you.
Part it out yourself...might get close to recouping what you have in it.
No way I'd spend another time on it...but could be fun tearing it apart piece by piece.
And of course, if you don't want to bother with the effort of a part-out, you could put it on craigslist at $2k with full disclosure of the issues, Whatever you get would likely be more than a straight trip to the boneyard.

Registered

There鈥檚 a picture of when I did mine. You can see the corrosion on the mds solenoids and side of the top of the heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just for my own knowledge when you put the intake back on did you replace the seals are go back on with existing? If you went with the existing that probably did you in, but if they were new and it still hydrolocked a short time later that tells me the theory I have been pushing for several years now that the flaw was in the original intakes themselves as they aged not just the wiper cowls and intake seals. The part # of the intake was revised between 2004 and later years, and the intakes you buy new for the 04 are a revised part # from what was original. However you will not find any information on what changed between the original and the latest, but vehicles with the latest do not hydrolock like the originals. Dodge does not want to eat the cost of all the 04s going belly up so they never admitted there was a problem, but at the same time changed the part to fix the problem. Their having it both ways on this one. Actually, on lots of issues. They really are not the best group of automotive engineers, and horrible at backing up their products when they can get away with it. If it was not for their styling matching my tastes along with my ability to fight through most mechanical issues without having to pay a third party I would not even look at Chrysler products. Deep rebates and poor resale value helps make them appealing to buy both new and used as well. Used Explorer and Durango that stickered for same price originally is cheaper to buy the Durango by a decent margin usually.

Registered
BTW, if you paid someone else to do the solenoid and they put old gaskets back on I would try to put some responsibility on them for not doing the original job right leading to this issue. I must have missed it was this an 05? Most of the hydrolocked hemis have been 04s as Dodge changed the intake after 04s, but maybe some of the 05s still had the old. Would be interested in the build date. If it is newer then 05 your cause is likely different then rest of them.

Registered
Chris:
Sorry to hear about this train of yours going off the tracks. When you pulled the intake, were you able to confirm that yours was the most recently produced part #? There were leak issues (as I understand it) regarding the original oem 5.7L Durango Hemi intakes. FCA had put out a memo stating that unless the newer intake was installed on a related repair, they would not honor the warranty. I realize it's a bit late for the current block, but if you decide to repair it, keep this in mind.

Don
Okay if I do repair I鈥檒l have the intake checked before putting it on the new motor. Thank you

Registered
Just for my own knowledge when you put the intake back on did you replace the seals are go back on with existing? If you went with the existing that probably did you in, but if they were new and it still hydrolocked a short time later that tells me the theory I have been pushing for several years now that the flaw was in the original intakes themselves as they aged not just the wiper cowls and intake seals. The part # of the intake was revised between 2004 and later years, and the intakes you buy new for the 04 are a revised part # from what was original. However you will not find any information on what changed between the original and the latest, but vehicles with the latest do not hydrolock like the originals. Dodge does not want to eat the cost of all the 04s going belly up so they never admitted there was a problem, but at the same time changed the part to fix the problem. Their having it both ways on this one. Actually, on lots of issues. They really are not the best group of automotive engineers, and horrible at backing up their products when they can get away with it. If it was not for their styling matching my tastes along with my ability to fight through most mechanical issues without having to pay a third party I would not even look at Chrysler products. Deep rebates and poor resale value helps make them appealing to buy both new and used as well. Used Explorer and Durango that stickered for same price originally is cheaper to buy the Durango by a decent margin usually.
Which seals are you talking about?

Registered
BTW, if you paid someone else to do the solenoid and they put old gaskets back on I would try to put some responsibility on them for not doing the original job right leading to this issue. I must have missed it was this an 05? Most of the hydrolocked hemis have been 04s as Dodge changed the intake after 04s, but maybe some of the 05s still had the old. Would be interested in the build date. If it is newer then 05 your cause is likely different then rest of them.
Mine was an 07, I paid my mechanic to finish the job bc I broke a valve cover bolt so I paid to put it all back together while he had it at his shop. No point it towing back to me so I can piece it back so I can then take it back to him so he can pull the vacuum, check for a leak and recharge the ac after I had to pull the ac compressor

Registered
One other good option for you.
Part it out yourself...might get close to recouping what you have in it.
No way I'd spend another time on it...but could be fun tearing it apart piece by piece.
I could attempt it. It has all the gadgets, electric trunk lift and sun roof ( I have a spare switch it鈥檚 all in one switch), alpine system, rear heated captain seats( i have spare switches), the tires are nearly brand new cost me like $650 new installed, I already took out my car play pioneer touch screen.. but I wouldn鈥檛 get the $6000 I have it, some of that is brakes, wheel hub assemblies,shocks.. I doubt anyone would want those used
Though I would finally make use out of that gen 2 for sale thread haha.

Registered
And of course, if you don't want to bother with the effort of a part-out, you could put it on craigslist at $2k with full disclosure of the issues, Whatever you get would likely be more than a straight trip to the boneyard.
I鈥檝e seen people post them locally needing an engine for like $500 and them not sell. The only reason I may have better luck is mine is fully loaded. The only reason I consider keeping it

Registered
I鈥檝e seen people post them locally needing an engine for like $500 and them not sell. The only reason I may have better luck is mine is fully loaded. The only reason I consider keeping it. I鈥檓 a sucker for a vehicle that has all the gadgets even if I don鈥檛 use them

Registered
Which seals are you talking about?

The intake seals. They would be on the bottom of the intake manifold. There should be a combination of different color and shaped seals for the different openings the intake goes around when set back in place. Just looking at them they would probably all appear fine, a set of them is like $6 so no need to go back with old seals and not replace. The risk being an old seal is not sealing and water gets around it into the engine and hydrolocks.

Registered
The intake seals. They would be on the bottom of the intake manifold. There should be a combination of different color and shaped seals for the different openings the intake goes around when set back in place. Just looking at them they would probably all appear fine, a set of them is like $6 so no need to go back with old seals and not replace. The risk being an old seal is not sealing and water gets around it into the engine and hydrolocks.
The intake manifold gaskets were replaced with a fel pro set. I don鈥檛 replace anything without replacing the gaskets/o rings/ or deal of any type

Registered
While my O4 Durango seems to run fine in rain and the car wash, I have witnessed what I would call too much water run down past my windshield and into the engine compartment while giving her a bath one day with the hood up.
I have read several posts on multiple forums from folks saying their Ds will either run rough or stall under such conditions.

At some point, Dodge came out with replacement cowl part number 55362453AK to rectify this issue. The list price on the new cowl is $140, but my local dealer dropped mine down to $112 plus tax when presented with internet quotes.

In comparing the old and new cowls, I see where the holes for the wiper arm stems have a taller "collar" than the old cowl. In addition, the seal at the back of the cowl that rests on the windshield on the old cowl was quite deteriorated. It appears that the major drain point is on the lowest corner of the driver side allowing the water to pour onto the inner fender well and ABS pump.

To remove the cowl, open the hood and remove the 5 plastic rivets and 2 torx (15 or 20) screws that secure it. The wipers are secured to their posts with 3 15mm bolts. Apply some type solvent the wiper bolts and let soak while you remove screws and rivets. Once the wiper bolts are off, gently rock them on their posts till they begin to loosen and come off. I did have to tap a bit on the drivers side with a hammer to loosen it.
Once the wipers are off, gently pry up on each end of the cowl from both sides to remove it from the clips.

Reverse the above process to install the new cowl. If the plastic rivets break, you can replace them with Dorman part number 799-135 panel retainers.

Don
Where did you purchase your replacement cowl?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #53
Angel:
| was able to get my local dealer to match an online price (at the time) of $112. Shipping was the issue for buying online. By the time you paid that, it would be more than buying locally. I seem to recall a recent post saying that Rock Auto had them for $140ish. Since the Gen 2 has been out of production since '09, the cowls are getting harder to find new.

I just checked RA, and they show them with an alternate P/N of 55362453AI for $123.

Don

Registered
While my O4 Durango seems to run fine in rain and the car wash, I have witnessed what I would call too much water run down past my windshield and into the engine compartment while giving her a bath one day with the hood up.
I have read several posts on multiple forums from folks saying their Ds will either run rough or stall under such conditions.

At some point, Dodge came out with replacement cowl part number 55362453AK to rectify this issue. The list price on the new cowl is $140, but my local dealer dropped mine down to $112 plus tax when presented with internet quotes.

In comparing the old and new cowls, I see where the holes for the wiper arm stems have a taller "collar" than the old cowl. In addition, the seal at the back of the cowl that rests on the windshield on the old cowl was quite deteriorated. It appears that the major drain point is on the lowest corner of the driver side allowing the water to pour onto the inner fender well and ABS pump.

To remove the cowl, open the hood and remove the 5 plastic rivets and 2 torx (15 or 20) screws that secure it. The wipers are secured to their posts with 3 15mm bolts. Apply some type solvent the wiper bolts and let soak while you remove screws and rivets. Once the wiper bolts are off, gently rock them on their posts till they begin to loosen and come off. I did have to tap a bit on the drivers side with a hammer to loosen it.
Once the wipers are off, gently pry up on each end of the cowl from both sides to remove it from the clips.

Reverse the above process to install the new cowl. If the plastic rivets break, you can replace them with Dorman part number 799-135 panel retainers.

Don

Registered
Thanks Don and everyone else for your posts and info. I have a 2005 Durango. A few years back my D started running rough, was misfiring badly. One spark plug was so corroded it snapped apart. Well issue was fixed and truck ran great after new plug coil packs etc. Since that time, I've noticed my cowl wasn't put back together and I hav this same issue. Water is getting onto the top of the engine and it is seeping down around the coil packs and rotting out the spark plugs. Just replaced all 8 plugs and packs again. Time for a cowl upgrade!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #57
Hans:
Sorry to hear that! Some of them run well over 100K (miles), and others like mine died at 39K. Out of curiosity, what is the build date of your Durango? Mine was built 01/04. Thankfully, other than that, and the common rust issues on the tail gate, rear quarters, and door bottoms, it is still a very dependable driver.

Don

Registered
Good Morning: Didn鈥檛 actually know this forum existed. Been running an 鈥04 D limited. Bought it new. Build date March 2004. 4.7l with 167k on her so far. My 4.7l (know as sludge makers) has been hands down the best engine I鈥檝e owned. She鈥檚 underpowered and slow off the line. My brother drove it and thought the emergency brake was on. Lol. Up until recently no problems, no drips, mpg acceptable. Rust, yes lots, but frame holding up well. Last tuneup I noticed on the driver side my plugs were rusty and full of water. Not antifreeze. I鈥檓 saying what the hell!! Googled it and came across this forum and this Cowl issue. Would've never looked at that as the problem. Found cowl on eBay with free shipping. Installing it this weekend. Thanks for posting this. Dave T.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts