Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Dealers in NJ will not overpay for a tradein but will sell them 20 percent higher then they should.
A dealer by me has a 2021 RT with <30k on it for 53K which is nutz. I bet that Durango is priced down to low 40s by September cause hardly anyone is buying the Mopar gas hogs right now. I have been watching Jeep GC and Durangos sitting on the lots for weeks now. Last year they would be gone in a day of arrival. I don't see the same with Ford, their stuff is selling like it has been. So while fuel prices is hurting Mopar right now, the other brands will get their dose when the recession ramps up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What the dealers do to get around what manufactures are asking them to do (sell at MSRP not over) is they sell to a 3rd party who sells it back to them with a slight markup.

The dealer can then sell the car as used vs new at whatever price they want.

The problem with this is that buyers will try to get new warrantees from the manufacturers on what's essentially a new car. Typically the manufactures will give the customer the new warrantee because it's not the customers fault the dealer is playing shell games on price.

·
Registered
246 Posts
By no means am I pro-dealer at all... but who's fault is it? Honest to god, us as consumers have to push back and say 'stuff it' to + MSRP ridiculous amounts.
You can view transportation as a necessity... but the 'flavor' of that transportation is totally a choice.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Anyone expecting to get into the ev market for less than $60k is dreaming. It won’t happen for at least a decade if ever. They just cost more to make.
They are out there, but they don't have much range. It would be fine for most people, but its not feasible for those with a longer commute; especially in rural areas.

I simply want to know where people are getting the money to buy new cars as their prices are stupid and going up from stupid to insanely stupid.
We bought a Palisade for $50k. Its absolutely a lot of money, but we plan to have this car for +10 years. Unless it gets totaled, we are going to drive it until the wheels fall off and the body is so rusty that it has holes in the floor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Chevy is doing the same thing with the new Z06. Warning dealers about scalping and buyers that flip new vehicles.
Wife just ordered a Macan GTS. It is impossible to fully own a new Porsche as so many customers are flipping and shipping overseas. It must remain in Porsche’s and your name for a full year whether you finance or pay cash….

·
Registered
481 Posts
I’d have sold you my k5 that had holes in the floorboard for way less than $50k haha.
You only caught part of that reply. We are paying for the life of the vehicle. I plan to keep it until it has over 500k miles. When you think about it, $50k/500k miles comes to $0.10 per mile which is a pretty good ROI.

That rusty K5 would probably last 100k if I baby it while getting nickle and dimed with constant repairs.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
You only caught part of that reply. We are paying for the life of the vehicle. I plan to keep it until it has over 500k miles. When you think about it, $50k/500k miles comes to $0.10 per mile which is a pretty good ROI.

That rusty K5 would probably last 100k if I baby it while getting nickle and dimed with constant repairs.
500K miles o_O

·
Registered
5,720 Posts

LOL!
Good Luck with that strategy. I'm sure your Hyundai will go 500K miles with only minor repairs..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,399 Posts
Well, it does have the best reviews of any 3 row SUV......

·
Registered
481 Posts
LOL!
Good Luck with that strategy. I'm sure your Hyundai will go 500K miles with only minor repairs..:rolleyes:
Thanks. I am pretty confident in that. I have never purchased a vehicle with less than 113k miles and every vehicle I have owned has lasted more than 250k no problems. My Lesabre has 365k miles and still has like new compression. Proper maintenance goes a long way. The big challenge will be minimizing that midwest winter rust.

Now, I don't know if all repairs will be cheap, but out of our last 4 vehicles, none of them needed a major overhaul. A buried gasket was the most costly repair. $50 in parts, but I didn't want to deal with it, so I hired that out. Labor was $1000, but thats not bad as long as we keep the vehicle for 10+ years.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
500K is quite a bit more than 250K.
I too have kept every vehicle I've owned to at least 300K miles so I have a pretty good idea what starts to fail when you get up in mileage. The engine can probably go 500K...but the accessories won't. Suspension won't...transmission most likely won't either. There is a lot of smaller items too...like hoses, sensors, ect. Add into it an area with salted roads which seems you are in and things will wear out quicker and have more issues unless you just don't drive it in the winter and just drive a beater.
But good luck and check back in when you have 200K on her and report how its going.

·
Registered
481 Posts
500K is quite a bit more than 250K.
I too have kept every vehicle I've owned to at least 300K miles so I have a pretty good idea what starts to fail when you get up in mileage. The engine can probably go 500K...but the accessories won't. Suspension won't...transmission most likely won't either. There is a lot of smaller items too...like hoses, sensors, ect. Add into it an area with salted roads which seems you are in and things will wear out quicker and have more issues unless you just don't drive it in the winter and just drive a beater.
But good luck and check back in when you have 200K on her and report how its going.
yeah, I have to do all that on my older cars anyways. But advances in technology should help them last longer, not to mention the fact that we know how it rides now, so we have a solid frame of reference as to how it should be.

Admittedly, I realize that some newer vehicles seem to have lost quality, which is actually the main reason that we tried an import this time. The quality of the domestic 3 seems to have greatly dropped since they all got bailed out. (Yes, I realize that Ford didn't have to strike a deal with the devil, but they still had to take out loans to bail them out so I put them in the same category.) Meanwhile, Kia and Hyundai have merged under one parent company and the quality has gotten on par, if not better than most domestics. The 3.8L seems well designed. The variable valve technology has gotten better across the board for all makes, its electric power steering, so no pump to fail. It has an 8 speed transmission, so there shouldn't be as much stress on single gears (compared to the notorious 3rd gear on GM trucks.)

So far, the only thing we foresee as a problem is the design of the wipers; they are covered under the hood, so they are prone to freeze up when it snows overnight. I am thinking about installing a head pad on the cowl to melt the ice or heated wipers. I might be able to install a rubber flap to keep snow out, but that would probably flap going down the highway.

If anybody has any ideas about that, I would like to hear.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts