Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i noticed my big tail light on the tail gate isn’t lighting up, nor are the tag lights. Sometimes there’s a brief flicker. So i did what i have seen others do and check for water, there isn’t a single drop of water in it. I took it off of the truck and inspected it, no cracks, everything looks great. I thought maybe it had a bad ground, so i went to test all of the wiring that I see that runs to that light, and i don’t seem to be getting power to it. Everything else on the tailgate works, the rear wiper, reverse lights, trunk lights and so forth. Wondering if anyone knows what fuse runs the back light, or if anyone has experienced a possible wiring issue. I don’t want to go and buy a new one only to find that it’s not the light at all. When it flickers on, every single part of the light and the tag Lights all work for a brief second, that’s what has me thinking there’s a wiring issue. Thanks in advance for any insight.

· Registered
352 Posts
Out of warranty I am guessing? I had a flickering front Fog Light (Drivers Side) on my 18, thought it was a bad light but turned out to be a pinched wire in the harness in the engine bay. For some reason wasn't blowing a fuse but was making the light go out.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of warranty I am guessing? I had a flickering front Fog Light (Drivers Side) on my 18, thought it was a bad light but turned out to be a pinched wire in the harness in the engine bay. For some reason wasn't blowing a fuse but was making the light go out.
Yeah they said i was out of warranty in January, but i still have a power train warranty for another few years. I plan to start trying to source the power issue today. It’s really annoying

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
Search the forum for posts by @cambo which shows you how to waterproof a replacement racetrack, but you'll have to buy a replacement first.

Reactions: cambo

· Registered
2 Posts
Search the forum for posts by @cambo which shows you how to waterproof a replacement racetrack, but you'll have to buy a replacement first.
Thanks for the advice, but the original poster said he didn't have a water problem. So I, like him, was wondering if maybe there was another issue/problem causing the lights to flicker and then remain off without blowing a fuse.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
It's always due to water intrusion. Whether you see water or not it has gotten in and ruined part of the LED. Only one other member here had a racetrack that was cracked. All others fail due to water. Now if what you're talking about, and I didn't go back to look at the OP, if the entire racetrack is out then it's wiring related.

· Registered
641 Posts
You could take it off and bench test it hook up power to see if it lights up. Unfortunately its most likely burned out and about $900 to $1,200 for a new one

On the first post in this link about halfway down I show the 12v power and ground that you can use to test the light it needs to be removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts