Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taillight guards

I picked up a pair of metal taillight guards really cheap.

How are they attached to the D? will I need to drill holes in the body and use sheet metal screws? there are 2 tabs on the guards.

I know it's a stupid question but I just want to make sure before I start drillin into the D. :?

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
They should line up with the existing Taillight screws
They kinda hook on one edge and screw into where the lights are screwed into Body
No Drilling should be required
Steve
DOC Pres

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FSTDANGO3 said:
They kinda hook on one edge and screw into where the lights are screwed into Body
Steve
DOC Pres
hmmm, maybe these won't fit then :cry:
the 2 tabs don't come anywhere close to the tlight screws.
they have the right shape and do fit well tho, so I don't know. I'll take another look at them.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Other methods are 3m auto motive tape

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
midnite said:
this may sound stupid, but flip them over?, you may just have them upside down or opposite way. don't mean to be a D!ck, but that's the only thing I can think of. if not ask the place you bought them from
your not bein a D!ck :p. I'll check that again but they really only look like they go on one way.
I bought them at a garage sale. They old lady didn't know anything about them except that they were for a D. They have the correct shape of the gen 1 D1`s T-lights so they're not for the gen 2s.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The ones I put on my 4Runner had to be drilled. The 3M double-sided, foam sticky tape (black is the weather-proof version) works VERY well, too?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Yes, they should fit by the existing taillight skew holes. A rear pic of Furious showing the driver's side. You can see that their only going to fit one way, following the shape of the lens.

Edit: Found another photo

:mrgreen:
-Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the pics?
the mounting tabs on mine don't look like that :(
here are some pics.
there's a tag there but all it says is "off road accessory", "light guard", 2008104, 253059, void if removed. :?

a search online for 253059 yielded this link :
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/dodge~durango~tail_light_guard~parts.html

Looks like it should work, but those tabs don't line up to any existing screws on my D :?

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
It does look as if those will need to be drilled in by the inside edge of the taillights the brackets also look bent a bit
Steve
DOC Pres

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It look like you might want to pull off one of the headlights to see if it mounts to the backside of the taillight somehow, and sorry, it doesn't look like 3M tape will work to well on this one.

·
Administrator
15,104 Posts
For the price of a set of new ones? I'd pitch those. No way would I drill holes in the lights when others don't need it. Plus, those are a little rusted, etc. Just ditch them and the headaches and get something new that works and installs in 5 minutes.

JMHO

IndyD

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thought about trashing them but I got them really cheap at a garage sale. new ones are pretty pricey.
I'm not worried about the rust, I was gonna have them sandblasted clean and then repaint them the color of the D.

·
Administrator
15,104 Posts
To much trouble and not worth it. Just get new ones. You'll have more in those that aren't perfect in time, labor and costs than getting perfect new ones. JMHO.

IndyD

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
It'll cost a bunch to get them painted up nicely to match the D but It'll look Great! As long as they're not completely corroded (metal damaged) I say clean em up sand em real nice few coats of primer and Spray the color of the D.
Keep us posted how it turns out
Steve
DOC Pres

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steve
DOC Pres

do you know where I can find 2004 Dodge durango tail light gaurds? I’ve been looking everywhere... or do you know if any other cars trail light guards will fit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts