Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*I have some mechanic experience but most likely not as much as you.

I rolled my AWD 2001 Durango SLT 5.9l off of a mountain on 9/13/2016, thankfully no one was seriously hurt. The ride is totaled for sure but it has a brand new 5.9l and automatic monster transmission with transmission cooler :( I was so impressed with the 2001 that the very next day I went out and bought a 1999 SLT 4x4 with manual transfer case and the 318ci V8 (The seller lied and told me it was a 360) to hopefully swap my new 360 and monster transmission into. This should be doable right? I don't know for certain but the block dimensions and transmission mounts are the same correct?

I realize that I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I would please like to know how many of the parts I can swap over because the 1999's suspension and axles are beat and the 318 has 240k miles on it (Still runs chipper though!). The 99 has a polygonal rear differential housing with a 12 bolt pattern and the 2001 donor has a rounded rear housing with a 10 bolt pattern.

Will it be extremely difficult to swap the engine and transmission from the 01 to the 99? ---I only plan to keep the 2001 until I have pulled the last usable part off of it (Tan leather interior is in near immaculate condition and I don't plan to use any of the interior pieces by the way.)

Can I take the Rear axle and/or front axle assemblies from the 2001 and bolt it right onto the 1999?

Can I swap the newer OEM shocks from the 01 and put them on the 1999?

Will I need to swap the transfer case?

Will I need to swap the computers or anything else tricky like that?

Can I keep the 1999 Durango as a manual transfer case or will I need to convert it to fulltime AWD? I am totally fine with either drive, just looking to keep the labor to a minimum.

Can I swap the newer bakes from the 01 to the 1999? Both have front disc brakes and rear drums.

Please let me know if this is possible. ANY tips/tricks/suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Can I use the gas tank skid plate from the 2001 on the 1999?

Thanks!

-John

·
Registered
324 Posts
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-1998-03/22851-2001-durango-r-t

*I have some mechanic experience but most likely not as much as you.

I rolled my AWD 2001 Durango SLT 5.9l off of a mountain on 9/13/2016, thankfully no one was seriously hurt. The ride is totaled for sure but it has a brand new 5.9l and automatic monster transmission with transmission cooler :( I was so impressed with the 2001 that the very next day I went out and bought a 1999 SLT 4x4 with manual transfer case and the 318ci V8 (The seller lied and told me it was a 360) to hopefully swap my new 360 and monster transmission into. This should be doable right? I don't know for certain but the block dimensions and transmission mounts are the same correct?

I realize that I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I would please like to know how many of the parts I can swap over because the 1999's suspension and axles are beat and the 318 has 240k miles on it (Still runs chipper though!). The 99 has a polygonal rear differential housing with a 12 bolt pattern and the 2001 donor has a rounded rear housing with a 10 bolt pattern.

start with the tag in the glove box of both vehicles. This will tell you lots of infos on axles esp. PCM is usually coded to engine size and brake type.

Will it be extremely difficult to swap the engine and transmission from the 01 to the 99? ---I only plan to keep the 2001 until I have pulled the last usable part off of it (Tan leather interior is in near immaculate condition and I don't plan to use any of the interior pieces by the way.)

Engines 5.2 and 5.9 are vitually identical in size. Some changes in motor mounts may have happened, but the mount points are identical.

Can I take the Rear axle and/or front axle assemblies from the 2001 and bolt it right onto the 1999?

yes, must use the 2001 PCM and the 2001 brake CAB brake controller

Can I swap the newer OEM shocks from the 01 and put them on the 1999?
yes same mount points. no changes

Will I need to swap the transfer case?

probably. You have to remove it from both vehicles to move the motor. See my thread on the horror show. (2001 Dodge Durango

Will I need to swap the computers or anything else tricky like that?

cpu+engine+46re+transfer+CAB brake contoller= keep em together

Can I keep the 1999 Durango as a manual transfer case or will I need to convert it to fulltime AWD? I am totally fine with either drive, just looking to keep the labor to a minimum.

I'm guessing here, check tranfer case shift mechanism, iirc if you are swapping axles you need

Can I swap the newer bakes from the 01 to the 1999? Both have front disc brakes and rear drums.

yes they are identical , again see label in glove box. RWAL

Please let me know if this is possible. ANY tips/tricks/suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Can I use the gas tank skid plate from the 2001 on the 1999?

Yes. See documents for durango. Also check my thread. I am going from 2001R/T ---->2003 R/T. I also own a 1999 Durango and know all the differences.

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-1998-03/22851-2001-durango-r-t-frame-off-restore.html

Thanks!

-John
ents for durango. Also check my thread. I am going from 2001R/T ---->2003 R/T. I also own a 1999 Durango and know all the differences.

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions-1998-03/22851-2001-durango-r-t-frame-off-restore.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts