Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Durango that had a 4.7L that I hydro locked and destroyed the block off roading. Had it replaced with a second hand 5.9 that had a bad head and scarred cylinders, so now I want to get a new engine that's carbureted and get rid of the computer but iv never done a project this big and after getting the old engine out not im not sure what else I need to take out to get ready for the new engine. any and all tips would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Corsa Exhaust
644 Posts
Tip: Don't drown your truck!

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
Depending on your smog Nazis you may not be able do that. Besides you can make a lot of HP with the computer if you'll learn how.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You make more power for a lot cheaper with a carbed engine. Its easier to tune with EFI though as far as getting gas on your hands, lol. Biggest advantage to EFI is being offroading and getting in extreme angles. Some carbs will either run rich or the fuel will uncover the jets and make the engine starve for gas. If you arent going rock crawling or hardcore trail riding the carb is better. I prefer carbs over EFI in cars/trucks, but hate carbs on motorcycles, lol.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
You'll drown just as easily with a carb as with a fuel injected rig, so what's the gain.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
you'll have to change out the tranny. it runs off of the PCM and if the engine is different, it won;t read the engine running correctly. it would be a big job swapping to a carb engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you really want to offroad that much in your D why don't you look into Snorkel equipment like jeeps have? You might even be able to convert some of the jeep snorkel equipment over.

Either way, getting it high enough to hydrolock aren't you getting wet as well? The interior of the D wasn't really designed for that (unless you've gutted it).

A fuel injected engine w/ a snorkel has less chance of drowning than a carbed engine, FYI. The carb is more open when water gets that high where a fuel injected engine if you swap over to a snorkel system can basically get completely submerged for the most part (short periods of time of course).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts