Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to replace the oil pressure sender on my '04 5.7 Durango, because in very cold weather it triggers the light until getting warmed up. I had the right deep socket and watched the videos, BUT when I was under the car, the connector for my switch did not have the red locking slide-tab everyone described. It DOES have a rectangular cross-through passage that I can stick a probe through, but no tab--it's as though the tab is missing. It also does not have the press-down unlocking tab on the shank of the switch sometimes described. Assuming that my connector had lost the tab somehow, I tried pulling the connector off the switch--but there was no movement. I gently tried prying in the gap between the connector and the switch, but no go there either. I tried squeezing the sides of the connector, too, with no result. I have watched every video I can find, but do not see a switch connector like mine. (It looks like most have three wires coming out of them into the harness, but mine only has one) OK, I'm a dummy--what am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
HH:
You can get much better access to the sender by removing the airbox. It comes out easily, and that way you can work form the top. Possibly the sender has already been changed, and the red tab removed or broken off. When I changed mine for the same reason, I went back in with an aftermarket sender from AZ, but knowing what I know now, I would have gotten an oem one.

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HH:
You can get much better access to the sender by removing the airbox. It comes out easily, and that way you can work form the top. Possibly the sender has already been changed, and the red tab removed or broken off. When I changed mine for the same reason, I went back in with an aftermarket sender from AZ, but knowing what I know now, I would have gotten an oem one.

Don
Thanks for the suggestion, Don. Access from below isn't a problem for me; my issue is I can't get the connector off the switch, even though I can get a good grip on it. It acts like it's still locked somehow. ?????

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
HH:
My thought is that by having a better visual from the top, you might be able to better assess why the connector won't release. IIRC, there was a red tab, and then you had to gently push in on the connector, depress another locking tab, and then pull. I dont recall my connector being too hard, but you do have to "hold your mouth" right lol!

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My red tab is missing, and I understand that is what locks the connector to the switch. So why can't I get the connector off the switch--it definitely feels like something is still locking it.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Have you tried pressing inwards on the connector as you depress the locking tab, and then gently pulling away from the sender?

Don

·
Registered
436 Posts
If it is the connector that should have red tab and it’s gone. My guess would be someone previously removed, lost tab, and then did something stupid to lock it in place since they lost the tab. Could of glued that thing on with anything. Just a guess, but sounds like something someone would do if they lost that tab and felt the connection was too loose to be reliable. No easy solution for you if it’s truly stuck that badly. Maybe, go to a scrap yard to test removing another then keep the connector as maybe splicing wires to it if your destroy yours taking it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally discovered there is a second locking device on the connector, and once released, it pulled off easily. That's when I discovered I had the wrong new sender!! Once I get that exchanged, it'll be an easy job to finish up. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts