Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had time on my hands over Christmas break and decided to see how I could MacGyver some strut tower covers for my 2014 R/T. I didn't want to spend too much, as I am really hoping someone will eventually make a strut tower brace for our vehicle and not sure if the covers will fit afterwards. Anyway, I was cruising through my favorite hardware store and came across some plumbing caps that looked just about the right size. A little bit of time with the Dremel around the top, some leftover Carbon Fiber Hydrodipping stuff from an abandoned project, and a couple of Anaodized washers later...

Ok, so I know it's not up to Billet Tech standards, but I had fun doing it and I like it better than the stock raw openings...:p

strut cover 1.jpg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks sharp!

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
They Look Great.
STEVE

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks sweet! You have a before pic so we know what to look for if we want to do this.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks sweet! You have a before pic so we know what to look for if we want to do this.
Sorry, I don't, but they are standard black plastic plumbing caps. I forget the diameter. Just measure your strut tower opening, then head into Home Depot. I simply took a Dremel and cut the facets around the edge to it looked machined. I filled in the center depression with JB Weld, then heated it with a heat gun after placement so it thinned out and leveled out easily. Sanded and painted. The aluminum center bolt and anodized washer were leftovers from a kit of them I picked upon EBay to dress up my engine cover mod. To make them stay in place, I just put a few dabs of silicone seal inside and pushed it over the strut tower opening. Easy to pop off if necessary... or if Black Ops ever gets around to actually making the strut tower brace they promised!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what size was the cap? also how did you secure it?
It was a while ago now, so I forget, but it's easy to get a tape measure and just measure the opening in the strut tower. There is a bead/lip that is elevated, and I measured the diameter. I simply went to Home Depot and wandered through the plumbing section until I found a cap that had a slightly bigger internal dimension. Once I had modified/painted it, I just glued it down with a bit of silicone. Easy to peel up when and if I ever need to take it off. Hope that helps.
STUART

1 - 9 of 9 Posts