Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some help with a strange issue that has just started on my 2013 Durango Citadel. So this seems pretty exclusive to my low beams. I always leave my headlight selector on auto and driving off the mountain at dusk last night I couldn't figure out why people kept flashing their lights. Ended up being that I had no headlights. I stopped and tried to get them to turn on manually and sometimes one side would come on, other times the other one. After messing with the switch for a bit, both eventually came on. I drove home with but I swear they were dimmer than normal. They automatic high beans were also not working but the high beams worked just fine when switched to manual. I messed with them in the garage tonight an they same issue is happening although the auto high beams was working when I drove it out around town.

I took a video and you can see in the video how sometimes the left beam is working, other times the right, and other times neither are working. I question whether the switch is having issues but it seems strange. I'm hoping someone has had a similar issue and can't point me in the right direction.

Video of headlight issue

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update to the drama. This morning, the Service AWD light came on. Not sure how that would be related.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sometimes, but not always, when weird things start happening like this it can be attributed to a bad/old battery. How old is your battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the vehicle used in 16 and I actually thought the battery had probably been changed. I went out earlier today and looked and it is the original battery from 2013 so now I'm starting to wonder if that might be the case. I took my multimeter to it and it was reading 12.4 volts but my wife had just taken the kids to school. I was also thinking if it was the battery, it would kind of manifest itself while things were running in accessory mode but I don't notice anything. Fires right up too. I don't know though. Batteries are funny. This is the fanciest vehicle I've ever had. I still drive a 1994 truck so it's a little easier to see when lights are going dim or something when the battery is low. I might run down to the auto store and see if they will put a load test on it. That's a good thought though and I appreciate that. So on these newer vehicles with all the bells and whistles, it's not uncommon for them to have funny issues when the battery goes out?

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
So on these newer vehicles with all the bells and whistles, it's not uncommon for them to have funny issues when the battery goes out?
Weak batteries have caused gremlins in Durangos since there have been Durangos, actually. It's a good idea to replace that battery if possible rather than load test it, because in my experience not only do old batteries cause gremlins, they also tend to very abruptly stop working, and often at the least opportune times. I recall taking the kids to soccer practice one evening and everything was normal. Went to start it after practice and nothing. The battery died right there out of nowhere. Not the only time for me either.

By the way, I drive a 96 E350 as my daily driver, and my 07 Durango is my fancy new ride (even though I've had it for years), so I know where you're coming from.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
Another thing I should mention. I had an issue with my high beams on my 07. Only one would come on. Simple bulb, right? No. The shop told me it was the TIPM, awesome. Upon inspection I was lucky to find that a mouse chewed a few wires on the connector to the TIPM. Fortunately, splicing them fixed the problem. May want to check the TIPM and connectors for corrosion or damage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I might just have to replace it and hope that is all it is. I ran down to Auto Zone and had them load test it and they told me the battery was good and that it just needed to be charged cause it was only at 66%. I wasn't sure I trusted the individual so I ran to O'Reillys and had them test it as well. Same thing. I checked the volts when it was running and it is at 14.6 so I think the alternator is working. Not sure why it wouldn't be charged. I had them see if they could pull the code as well since the service AWD was on and when it pulled up on the checker, it said nothing about the AWD and said the emissions was having issues but would not give a code. I don't know. All strange to me.

I hadn't thought about wires but I have been in the mountains a lot lately and have noticed plenty on rodents. I was actually coming back from fishing when I noticed it started. Not sure if it was doing it before then though cause I hadn't been driving at night for a few days.

So I'm guessing the first thing is to try a new battery then? Even with the load test results?

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
I'm not a fan of telling people how to spend their money, but I personally would replace it. Heck, even if it doesn't turn out to be the problem, it's better that you swapped it now at your leisure rather than in a parking lot in a snowstorm in January. That's how my mind works, anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Being the tightwad that I am,, I'd pull the battery out and make sure each cell is filled properly with distilled water then charge it while it's out of the vehicle. This will also give the computer a chance to reset.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
Being the tightwad that I am,, I'd pull the battery out and make sure each cell is filled properly with distilled water then charge it while it's out of the vehicle. This will also give the computer a chance to reset.
I'd agree with you if the battery wasn't OEM and 7 years old.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the thoughts. Yea the battery is 7 years old and sealed or I would try to fill the cells. I thought about charging it off vehicle. I don't know. I'm in the same tightwad category though and spending $200 sucks. It is old though so I'm probably one long road trip away from the thing deciding it is going to flat out die.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,452 Posts
I 3rd the battery replacement. Your charging voltage is good but most likely there's one or more cells crapping out in the battery not allowing it to charge fully.

I bought a replacement battery for my 2013 Citadel Hemi that was totaled before I installed it. If you were bear Central AR, I would sell it for much less than new!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the info. I'm a fair bit of a drive away from central AR or I'd probably take you up on that offer. I'll swing by the auto store later and pick up a battery and see if that cures all my ailments. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I put a new battery in and no joy. It does seem to be a little better as in it seems like the lights like to work from the start but if I start switching them on and off, they start doing the same thing. Also the service AWD is still on. Took it for a decent little drive tonight to see if it would clear itself but it did not. I did notice in the dust on top of basically everything under the hood that the rodents have been all over in there. I'm guessing this was from a camping trip a month or so ago as I remember the mice being abnormally everywhere on that trip. If so, everything has worked since then. I guess it is possible that they got in there on the fishing trip this last Sunday when I noticed the problem. Anyway, on a brief inspection, I don't see any chewed wires but I'm pretty sure there is enough wire length in that vehicle to reach to the moon. I'll look around a little more tomorrow. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If I remember correctly there are fuses for the headlights, I’d start there. Check the AWD fuse(s) as well. If those are good, it’s possible the bulbs are bad, and likely are if they’re original. It’s also possible, but highly unlikely, that both ballasts for the headlights failed.

I recommend buying bulbs from lightwerkz.net or theretrofitsource.com, tons of counterfeit bulbs on eBay/amazon and aftermarket bulbs just aren’t as bright or last as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the advice. So I went through all the wiring I could see. Fuses and bulbs. They all look good. Since I swapped the battery I. Not seeing the issue unless I basically make it happen by messing with the switch. Even then it is harder to make it happen. I still ha e the Service AWD light on so I broke down and took it to the dealership. They plugged it in and had 10 or so codes that they said was all likely due to a low voltage situation including the low beams. These codes were all inactive though now and were cleared. They said it was likely the low battery tripped them but they think the switch is bad or dirty. There is one active code through for the transfer case. They went through the diagnostic and told me that the transfer case control module is bad and that is why the service AWD is on.

So, I guess the plan right now is to get that module ordered, installed and programmed. As for the switch, I'm blue in the face trying to figure out how to remove it. On some of those switches, it looks like you basically do a push the knob, turn slightly and pull operation. Not on mine though. I tried to pop it out of the panel it is mounted to but I can't get it to break free. I also just tried removing the small panel itself but it just won't break loose. Of course I can't find a video of this specific model and how to remove it. Also can't find a dang repair manual excerpt. Any thought on how to remove this? Figured it was worth opening it up and cleaning it before buying a new one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts