Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Readers digest version: had the car jacked up a couple days ago to change the front rotors. Turns out the rotors didn't fit so had to put the originals back on and order new ones. Ever since then, I've been getting a weird creaking type noise from around the left wheel. Sounds exactly like a creaky door. From inside the cabin it's near my left foot. From outside, it sounds like it's coming from the left strut. I can't pinpoint when it exactly happens but it's a lower speeds. Does it when slowly braking, speeding up, and turning the steering wheel. I'll be able to better assess it when the new rotors come in and I get it back in the air, but I'd like your help!! First video is slowly coming to a stop and the second is me parked in the garage turning the wheel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check the torque on the lug nuts, make sure you're at spec. I've seen some conflicting reports about what it should be, but 100-110 is generally agreed as correct. Less than 100 isn't enough, and over 120 is probably too much.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll double check. Someone else suggested sway bar bushings. I'll check those and lubricate them if need be too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
image.jpg

This is where I jacked it up from. I haven't checked to see if anything is bent. If it is, I'm not entirely sure I feel comfortable fixing that myself. I should also mention I used a floor jack and didn't use jack stand to hold it. Just the floor jack on that point

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That's exactly where it should not be jacked (or jack stands). Mine hardly showed any crease, but it was there and there was a metal on metal

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
image.jpg

Actually to be more specific, here's where it was exactly jacked up from. This is the left side that is causing the problem. Weird that I did this on both on the same spot and only the left appears to be making a noise. Also when you used your pry bar to straighten it out, where did you put it and where was the crease?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I loosened the bolts and put the pry bar where the metal on metal was rubbing then tightened the bolts and it straightened out then loosened and pulled the bar out. Where it was rubbing could be seen when the wheel was turned all the way out looking at that bracket from the top

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Mine got worse within a couple days

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where on that picture was it really rubbing? More at the top of the picture where it extends out or more centrally like in the circle area? Forgive me, I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you say "looking at the bracket from the top"

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ok. Turn the wheel all the way out and look at the top of that black bracket. You'll see a square piece of metal with a hole in the middle. That's what it's rubbing. It's crappy out, but hopefully this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
image.jpg

Actually this was the exact area that was rattling. I loosened the bolts, stuck a small flat head screw driver between it and the frame and bolted it back up tight. Kinda like what you did. I did that in a few different spots and it knocked down the noise CONSIDERABLY. Now I just need to work it over a little more. You can barely hear it now.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
View attachment 27798

Actually this was the exact area that was rattling. I loosened the bolts, stuck a small flat head screw driver between it and the frame and bolted it back up tight. Kinda like what you did. I did that in a few different spots and it knocked down the noise CONSIDERABLY. Now I just need to work it over a little more. You can barely hear it now.
Good to hear its better. Might take a little work, mine did. Tony took his right off and hammered it straight again. Not everyone may be rubbing in the same place, but whenever I see a post about creaking after rotating/changing tires, this seems to be the culprit.

·
Premium Member
28,307 Posts
Dont lift your Durangos by this piece
STEVE

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good to hear its better. Might take a little work, mine did. Tony took his right off and hammered it straight again. Not everyone may be rubbing in the same place, but whenever I see a post about creaking after rotating/changing tires, this seems to be the culprit.
Yeah I went out again and it's still there, but not as loud or frequent. I'm gonna have to work it over for the next few days. And make sure. I tried taking it off, or at least loosening all the bolts, and that one large one was NOT about to budge an inch.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yeah I went out again and it's still there, but not as loud or frequent. I'm gonna have to work it over for the next few days. And make sure. I tried taking it off, or at least loosening all the bolts, and that one large one was NOT about to budge an inch.
Impact gun

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm not sure, no. TonyH could answer that since he removed his. He made it sound pretty simple

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I've seen in schematics, it holds in a few things. If it's that tough to break loose, it's probably for a reason, so I'm not gonna mess with it. I'm gonna try and work the other parts and see if I can work out any creases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts