Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Durango Citadel, 3.6L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a dunderhead I assumed replacing batteries was no different than it always has been---wrong.

Well, my mother came to visit with her 2017 Durango Citiadel 3.6L. It has two batteries; the standard large Group 48, and the start/stop auxiliary small battery. They were working, but weak. We had no error messages and everything worked. I replaced both batteries. I used AGM and same CCA as the OEM. But, I didn't use a memory saver.

So, now all works fine except we have a message saying that the start/stop is off due to being charged. Well, after letting it run for 30min to an hour I realized this was more serious. I disconnected the terminals and checked aux battery voltage. It was almost 13 volts. With connectors on and the engine running (alternator going), the voltage at the aux terminals is 14 plus volts so I'm certain the mechanical is working properly. For a test, I disconnected the main battery's neg cable and the car started with just the small aux battery connected. So, the system could work.

I have now read in a few places that I should have used a battery memory saver. Now, I might need to see a dealer to "register the aux battery" with the car's computer? really?

Is there a solution to this I am missing? Help!

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Rqsvet:
Welcome to DDN, and Happy Thanksgiving. I've not heard mention of the battery saver issue while swapping batteries. Being a '17, your oem batteries are at the right time for them to be on their way out. It is possible to have a bad new battery, so don't overlook that option.

You might try disconnecting both batteries, depressing the brake pedal for 30 seconds, then reconnect, fired it up, and allow it to idle for a half hour, warming operating temp, without disturbing it.

Don

·
Registered
2017 Durango Citadel, 3.6L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I'll give it a try. I feel the new aux battery is good. Does well on a load test. This morning I just started car again. Now with engine warm it just says Start/stop not available. It no longer says "charging." So, maybe it will "find itself"....? I drive it four hours tomorrow. Maybe it just needs time?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts