Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I have a 2009 SVT spec durango with the 4.7l engine. I have the gas cap warning light on all the time (I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump gasket like a lot of people have) and it's been great in the 5 months or so I've been driving it.

4 days ago in the morning (about 40 Degrees F out) about a mile or so from my house I braked moderately heavy to stop at a light and the car surged a bit and then the engine shut off. I put it in park, started it back up and it was fine the rest of my drive to work (about 22 miles or so). I got an oil change the same day (it was needed anyways) and checked the air filter which was fine and it's been fine the past few days and then it did almost the exact same thing this morning. Similar temps, almost the same spot on my drive to work.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems like a weird fluke at this point and I can't replicate it at any other point with a similar braking pattern.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are a bunch of reasons for stalling on these cars. I read a dozen reports of a faulty torque converter and probably 2-3 dozen reports caused by DIY mechanics changing the transmission filter and not having it alligned properly causing the transmission fluid to aerate and get air in the system (that can ususally be checked by how the fluid looks on the dipstick).

I am fighting an intermittent stall myself. The filter seems seated properly. I question the torque converter, but I am not ready to drop the tranny yet. Since I get an occasional 4lo flash, I am going to change the fluid in the t-case first. I read a few reports that dirty fluid was causing some false readings; causing the 4LO flash, so I figured its worth replacing fluid for $20 before doing any extensive work.

On mine, I can feel it bog down when coming to a stop, like its stuck in gear. If I come to a rolling stop, it bogs down, then loosens and at least stays running.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Ensuring that the battery is at 100% would be the first step here. Then, how many miles on the spark plugs? Before '14, the spec was 30K. Once the miles are up there, a good throttle body cleaning by removing it is a good idea.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have service records on this car (just bought it 6 months ago from a municipal auction) and so there's no records.

I should go get the battery and alternator checked, that's the nice price of free and could possibly solve my issues. Also, it's pry due for sparks and fluids anyways so I'll gear up for getting that done and see if it fixes anything.

Thanks guys

Also I get the same feeling when I slow down where it bogs down then loosens, with the occasional stall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have service records on this car (just bought it 6 months ago from a municipal auction) and so there's no records.

I should go get the battery and alternator checked, that's the nice price of free and could possibly solve my issues. Also, it's pry due for sparks and fluids anyways so I'll gear up for getting that done and see if it fixes anything.

Thanks guys

Also I get the same feeling when I slow down where it bogs down then loosens, with the occasional stall.
I had the same issue on my 08' 4.7L. It turned out to be the battery terminal connectors that had deteriorated. Changed the connectors to new brass ones - problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts