Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can do a lot for sound on the 5.7. On my Rams, I cut out the resonators, gave it the sound I preferred.
I mean, from factory it was just okay, but it’s a Hemi let’s hear it.
On the Durango’s, it’s seems a simple mod is to cut out the “suitcase” and install an X pipe, which should be pretty inexpensive. It’s a place to start.
Thank you for sharing. I was thinking to remove mid suitcase and replace with something like a pair of carvens or similar, see how that goes and then if not good enough, maybe remove rear resonators and replace with some vibrants or bullets... not sure I want no muffler at all and no resonators... I saw on the scat pack, that can get out of hand for what I'm looking for lol.... but then again, this is a completely different setup so I'm not sure. why the x pipe just curious? I really do like the sound of the OEM mopar exhaust but not at $1700 lol.... even if it doesn't sound as good... a pair of carvens are 200$, labor maybe 150, and even with the 2 vibrants another $100.... should be all in for less than 500 compared to 1700 mopar... that being said, if I had a choice I would have just gotten the tow package as it comes with that exhaust and the 10" wheels that I want ....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a set of PVD Black Chrome Jeep SRT wheels in my garage from TheWheelExchange waiting to get put on, I'll get some picks when I can against my 15' R/T wheels.

I went with the Corsa exhaust on mine and have been SUPER happy with it. No drone, sounds like a beast when I stomp it, etc. Works well and cheaper than the OEM kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I was thinking to remove mid suitcase and replace with something like a pair of carvens or similar, see how that goes and then if not good enough, maybe remove rear resonators and replace with some vibrants or bullets... not sure I want no muffler at all and no resonators... I saw on the scat pack, that can get out of hand for what I'm looking for lol.... but then again, this is a completely different setup so I'm not sure. why the x pipe just curious? I really do like the sound of the OEM mopar exhaust but not at $1700 lol.... even if it doesn't sound as good... a pair of carvens are 200$, labor maybe 150, and even with the 2 vibrants another $100.... should be all in for less than 500 compared to 1700 mopar... that being said, if I had a choice I would have just gotten the tow package as it comes with that exhaust and the 10" wheels that I want ....
Be careful these DDs get very raspy. I did an exhaust on mine and did it in stages.. suitcase delete, replace w H-Pipe. Sounded decent until u drive it. Then took off the rear resonators and added Gibson axle back. Sounded awesome but lots of drone.. then threw some small resonators from Amazon right after the H-pipe and WOW this thing sounds awesome! No drone and very nice when cruising. But man she can get mean..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Be careful these DDs get very raspy. I did an exhaust on mine and did it in stages.. suitcase delete, replace w H-Pipe. Sounded decent until u drive it. Then took off the rear resonators and added Gibson axle back. Sounded awesome but lots of drone.. then threw some small resonators from Amazon right after the H-pipe and WOW this thing sounds awesome! No drone and very nice when cruising. But man she can get mean..
hmmm. so what are you saying here? I think that makes sense, you don't want a muffler or reso delete, I've heard that on my scat pack and yes very raspy.. my thinking is close to what you did, except you went gibson and I was thinking carven. not sure it matters much... the only thing I didn't have factored in is the H pipe, don't understand still why we need a x or h pipe? I was going to just delete the suitcase and replace with any peformance muffler and then replace the back resonators with vibrants... maybe it's just worth it to get a full catback that's designed for this car instead of trial and error? LOL like the corsa or borla? I really like the Mopar OEM but not at 1700$. are the corsa and borla as expensive? this is so hard to figure out.....

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
29 Posts
X-pipes help extract the exhaust better for added HP (about 2-3HP) above that of the H-pipe. X-pipes are also a higher pitch sounding system and H-pipes are a deeper sounding system. The HP is mostly a wash so it's the sound factor that comes into play.

Reactions: Heat00

·
Registered
38 Posts
My thinking is that Hpipe is more old school muscle car sound.
As for Carven is a straight baffled pipe. So what u r saying is you want to pit 2 straight pipes?
Not sure how loud u wanna go, but that might rock the neighborhood. Maybe not in a bad way..lol
Tin Foil is right, its a very mild difference in performance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No I don’t want overly loud. I’ve had 4 scat packs so Ive had loud. My Daytona had bullets and shook windows on my street lol... I just want a better sound and somewhat louder without drone.
I have a bad feeling I’m going to end up with the Mopar exhaust lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Because I did mine in stages my was a little more expensive, but prolly still spent $$750.
If you were to do it all at once, close to $5-6ish at most.
She's a respectful Beast

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Durango R/T
14 Posts
What about the Hooker Blackheart cat back? It’s at $990 free shipping at Holley.com. I’m looking for a good exhaust system for my DD R/T but I don’t really want to pay more than a $1000.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Honestly, the Corsa is worth every penny, SUPER happy with mine. (no drone either).

No I don’t want overly loud. I’ve had 4 scat packs so Ive had loud. My Daytona had bullets and shook windows on my street lol... I just want a better sound and somewhat louder without drone.
I have a bad feeling I’m going to end up with the Mopar exhaust lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honestly, the Corsa is worth every penny, SUPER happy with mine. (no drone either).
do you mind sharing what that systems costs roughly? i know the mopar one is around 1700 which is way too much... so how would you describe the sound overall? I like the sound of no drone and definitely want something that will add volume and a better tone...

·
Registered
135 Posts
and do you happen to have any sound clips? I suppose I can go to youtube for that lol....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I dont happen to have any sound clips, but yeah, there's lots on Youtube.

Looks for sites that sell it for a discount code, it'll be close to the OEM price. It ranged from 1724.00 (CORSA retail price) to around 1500 if you can find some nice discount codes for the various sites. I scored an AMAZING deal for $1275 back in 15' for mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
sorry to go off topic to the op.... i just heard some clips of stock with resonator delete and it sounds really good so I'm thinking I might try the vibrant 1790 or 1792 (not sure if exhaust is 2.25 or 2.5) and see how that goes.. it should clean it up a bit and they are $70 as opposed to $1700.. don't get me wrong, I'm sure a cat back sounds better but on the scat packs nearly everyone just replaced the mids with bullets or vibrants and it's so cheap and sounded so good there was no need for a cat back... I'm just not sure the results on the DD will be similar.. but from the few clips I heard, I think it's worth a try first.. especially since I have 2 r/t's coming and whatever mine gets my son will want so I'm not going $3400 in exhaust work lol...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts