Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
While I wait for the 2021 R/T Tow and Go package Durango to come out, I started thinking about wheel weight and roll resistance.
The Tow and Go comes with SRT wheels so I'm wondering if the Wider wheels weighs more then the R/T wheel? I assume the tire must weight more and should offer some roll resistance unless the Pirelli Scorpions have better roll resistance then the Bridgestone's.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello,
While I wait for the 2021 R/T Tow and Go package Durango to come out, I started thinking about wheel weight and roll resistance.
The Tow and Go comes with SRT wheels so I'm wondering if the Wider wheels weighs more then the R/T wheel? I assume the tire must weight more and should offer some roll resistance unless the Pirelli Scorpions have better roll resistance then the Bridgestone's.

Any thoughts?
It's definitely a combination of the two, wheels and tires. The OEM R/T wheels are pretty heavy, at least my 2019s are. The SRT wheels are forged so they aren't actually as heavy as you might think (29 to 35 lbs, generally, though a couple are heavier) given that they are 2 inches wider than the R/T wheels. Based on my experience you can upgrade to larger wheels and tires and keep the weight about the same though, depending of course on the wheels and tires you go with.

I chose the Jeep SRT Trackhawk wheels (9173s) because they are the lightest SRT wheels for the Jeep/Durango at approximately 29 lbs. The weight of tires vary quite a bit too. I chose a non runflat tire (Yokohoma Parada Spec-X). You can go to Tirerack and look at the weights of any tire you they sell to compare tire weights at any given size. Ironically, my set up actually weighs about a pound per wheel/tire less than the OEM R/T wheel/tire set up. Not too bad for two inch wider wheels and larger tires. The savings for me mostly comes from the wheels being lighter than the OEM wheels.

Here is some information I posted on my thread about the SRT wheels when I got them replying to someone with a similar question.

"I looked at the SRT five spokes too. And I definitely like the look. I've always been a fan of five spoke wheels and I have a set of five spokes on another vehicle. However, I was looking for one of the lightest SRT wheels in order to try to minimize unsprung weight knowing that the larger tires would also be heavier than the OEM tires. My goal was not to increase the unsprung weight over the OEM wheel and tire weight.

According to the Vendor I purchased my wheels from the five spoke SRT wheels weigh approximately 4 to 5 pounds per wheel more than the SRT Y spoke wheels I purchased. Those Y spokes (9173s) weigh in at 29 pounds, which is pretty light for a 20 x 10 wheel. The five spokes weigh 33-34 pounds each. For comparison purposes the wheels that came on my Durango weigh approximately 35 pounds according to my vendor. By the way the OEM tires that came on my D (Bridgestone Ecopias) weigh 34 pounds and are 265/50/20s. That's a total weight for each wheel and tire of approximately 69 pounds. My new wheels have Yokohoma Parada Spec-X tires size 295/45/20. Those tires weigh 39 pounds each. So that's a total weight of approximately 68 pounds per wheel and tire for the new set up. Not bad for two more inches of width.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for 295/45/20 tires. And I did not want runflats. The Yokohoma's get good reviews and that coupled with the fact that they are designed for SUVs and light trucks is why I ultimately went with them."

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Toyo has a good option in that 295/45/20 size. Proxes ST. 38 lbs. They stick well and they are quiet riding. Usually priced well too.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
BTW, there is probably going to be more rolling resistance with stickier tires...so might be a 1 mpg hit even if wheel/tire weight is the same.
Personally to me not worth worrying about...but I'd expect more frequent tire replacements.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Probably also slightly more rolling resistance with the wider tires too. But like Chase300 I'm not worrying about it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder how much wider they are? 265 vs 295. I bet it's not that much. I wonder if the shorter sidewall is to match the R/T size side wall due to the 40 vs the 50.
Calling a package Tow and GO I gotta assume there is some kind of go benefit, the R/T does not spin out so wider tires are not necessary at all. I can lunch full power and get no wheel spin.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's not the width of the tire as much as it is the width of the wheel. Of course the tire has to be sized to fit the wheel too. The OEM R/T wheels are 20 x 8 and the SRT wheels are 20 x 10. The standard size tire for OEM R/T wheel is 265/50/20 while standard size tire for the SRT wheel is 295/45/20. And a 265/50/20 tire is approximately the same height as a 295/45/20 tire. According to Tire Rack's website the Bridgestone Ecopia's that come on the R/T will fit rims from 7.5 to 9.5 inches. According to the same website my 295/45/20 Yokohoma Parada's will fit rim sizes from 9.5 to 11 inches.

I suspect the reason that the Tow N Go package comes with SRT wheels is to accommodate the larger SRT Brembo brakes, which help increase the tow rating by adding stopping power and of course add performance too. The Brembos won't fit behind the OEM R/T wheels without spacers. Not to mention Dodge already has these parts available and has already done the engineering behind them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It would be nice if the Tow N Go option included the SRT 3.70 ring gear... I have my fingers crossed that in order to get the additional 1300lbs of towing capacity that it may...

·
Registered
351 Posts
It would be nice if the Tow N Go option included the SRT 3.70 ring gear... I have my fingers crossed that in order to get the additional 1300lbs of towing capacity that it may...
I wouldn't be surprised that the 3.70 gears are included. It would seem to make sense.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The below site has alot of info regarding OEM SRT wheel weight. I myself is still questioning some of those number vs what some of weights ebay wheel dealers have shown me. I am going to agree with Zpirate on the 9173s, the Goliaths seems to be about 38lbs from pictures of them on scale.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an excellent start my friend. Thank you so much for posting.
I'm all about getting her as quick on her feet as possible.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Corsa Exhaust
642 Posts
I wonder how much wider they are? 265 vs 295. I bet it's not that much. I wonder if the shorter sidewall is to match the R/T size side wall due to the 40 vs the 50.
Calling a package Tow and GO I gotta assume there is some kind of go benefit, the R/T does not spin out so wider tires are not necessary at all. I can lunch full power and get no wheel spin.
30mm wider

·
Registered
182 Posts
FYI, if you order the Blacktop option with the tow n go, you get the black badging, side mirror caps in black AND the 20x10 “Lights Out” Hellcat wheels.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Durango R/T
11 Posts
It's not the width of the tire as much as it is the width of the wheel. Of course the tire has to be sized to fit the wheel too. The OEM R/T wheels are 20 x 8 and the SRT wheels are 20 x 10. The standard size tire for OEM R/T wheel is 265/50/20 while standard size tire for the SRT wheel is 295/45/20. And a 265/50/20 tire is approximately the same height as a 295/45/20 tire. According to Tire Rack's website the Bridgestone Ecopia's that come on the R/T will fit rims from 7.5 to 9.5 inches. According to the same website my 295/45/20 Yokohoma Parada's will fit rim sizes from 9.5 to 11 inches.

I suspect the reason that the Tow N Go package comes with SRT wheels is to accommodate the larger SRT Brembo brakes, which help increase the tow rating by adding stopping power and of course add performance too. The Brembos won't fit behind the OEM R/T wheels without spacers. Not to mention Dodge already has these parts available and has already done the engineering behind them.
Hey buddy. I needs some help. I just got a bare set of 2015 JGC SRT spyder monkeys for my 2019 DD R/T. I’m confused about TPMS sensor. I know that 2015 sensors can’t be used on 2019 models so Which sensor I need to buy? I found two models, 68313387AC (the rubber one that came in the R/T) and 68252495AC (the metal one that came in the SRT Jeep GC and DD). I really appreciate some help on this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey buddy. I needs some help. I just got a bare set of 2015 JGC SRT spyder monkeys for my 2019 DD R/T. I’m confused about TPMS sensor. I know that 2015 sensors can’t be used on 2019 models so Which sensor I need to buy? I found two models, 68313387AC (the rubber one that came in the R/T) and 68252495AC (the metal one that came in the SRT Jeep GC and DD). I really appreciate some help on this.
You can use the sensors from your factory oem wheels.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m just hoping to find a set of tow and go rims from someone to put on my rt that’s coming soon but it’s not for traction , the wider 20x10’s just look a lot better.... I’m coming from a scat wb with 20x11’s.... the extra grip there definitely did make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I’m just hoping to find a set of tow and go rims from someone to put on my rt that’s coming soon but it’s not for traction , the wider 20x10’s just look a lot better.... I’m coming from a scat wb with 20x11’s.... the extra grip there definitely did make a difference.

You will be in luck, a lot of people already think 20x10s on the 21s are ugly

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Your dealer should be happy to sell you a set...you can probably work into the deal. I did when I bought by 2001 Durango, had the dealer install R/T rims. They sold them to me at their cost.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts