Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,390 Posts
It has happened to a couple of people and there are posts about it if you search for them. I think they had to replace the light which is very expensive.

·
Registered
2021 Durango SRT, 2017 Chrysler 300S 5.7
288 Posts
It happened to my 2021 with less than 5000 miles... It probably isnt the light switch, if the steering wheel switches still light up, then it is most likely the airbag itself. There isnt anything serviceable, has to be replaced as a whole unit. I am working so much that I cant get mine to the dealer, so i just ordered a new airbag and replaced it myself.......BTW, I also have a new Hellcat airbag that illuminates red if interested.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to call the dealer. My vehicle is a hellcat. 6 months old with 800 miles. Warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
334 Posts
I will have to call the dealer. My vehicle is a hellcat. 6 months old with 800 miles. Warranty should cover it.
Heads up, on a similar thread one person said their dealer said it doesn't light up. I think they printed off some posted pictures to prove it does.

So, if my airbag goes off will it imprint a "TRS" on my forehead?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heads up, on a similar thread one person said their dealer said it doesn't light up. I think they printed off some posted pictures to prove it does.

So, if my airbag goes off will it imprint a "TRS" on my forehead?
I have a picture that I took of it with it on before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It happened to my 2021 with less than 5000 miles... It probably isnt the light switch, if the steering wheel switches still light up, then it is most likely the airbag itself. There isnt anything serviceable, has to be replaced as a whole unit. I am working so much that I cant get mine to the dealer, so i just ordered a new airbag and replaced it myself.......BTW, I also have a new Hellcat airbag that illuminates red if interested.....
Do you still have the hellcat airbag? Looking to put one in my wife’s Trackhawk. I actually bought one off a guy and just my luck it doesn’t illuminate any longer. That or the harness is the incorrect one. Read somewhere the harness that was being made and supplied by places like “just for jeeps etc” was incompatible for a time period.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you still have the hellcat airbag? Looking to put one in my wife’s Trackhawk. I actually bought one off a guy and just my luck it doesn’t illuminate any longer. That or the harness is the incorrect one. Read somewhere the harness that was being made and supplied by places like “just for jeeps etc” was incompatible for a time period.
I would assume with the "Jeep" airbag on the Trackhawk they may have eliminated the jumper in the steering wheel to save a few bucks. The wiring is easy to do if you are so inclined. I did it on my 2014 when the backlit airbag was first made available on the 2015 Red Vapor edition.

Here's a link to my instructions, which I think Just for Jeeps used to provide, if the factory jumper harness no longer works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would assume with the "Jeep" airbag on the Trackhawk they may have eliminated the jumper in the steering wheel to save a few bucks. The wiring is easy to do if you are so inclined. I did it on my 2014 when the backlit airbag was first made available on the 2015 Red Vapor edition.

Here's a link to my instructions, which I think Just for Jeeps used to provide, if the factory jumper harness no longer works.
Much appreciated. I have debated trying this just to see if it worked versus this new wire harness which very well may be the incorrect harness.
With that being said my horn works and all the other steering wheel buttons illuminate as expected with this harness so I am honestly thinking it is the led that is bad.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Much appreciated. I have debated trying this just to see if it worked versus this new wire harness which very well may be the incorrect harness.
With that being said my horn works and all the other steering wheel buttons illuminate as expected with this harness so I am honestly thinking it is the led that is bad.
If the steering wheel controls light up, but not the airbag, and you have the harness installed, then it is most likely the LED in the airbag. That is what was going on in my truck. I don't know what voltage is supposed to be going to the airbag, but there are 3 wires and one of them is tied into the dimmer switch.......And I do still have the Hellcat Airbag..PM me if interested...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Th harness I got with the airbag was an actual MOPAR part, and not made by J4J......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Th harness I got with the airbag was an actual MOPAR part, and not made by J4J......
Mine is as well. I don’t think j4j made any of them. But I had read they had 1-1.5 yrs where the harness was superseded with incorrect part number or something of that nature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts