Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a little over 2 weeks in, 1100 miles, and very pleased with the SRT. Coming from the GM and Ford performance worlds in recent years, though, there are some things about the SRT that are just silly or annoying compared to GM. I thought I would list a few, to see if others have similar opinions and experiences. Not bashing......these are little annoyances IMO (so, Capt Moe, no need to flame me for posting them :p;))

1) DRL's: For any GM car that I have owned later than 2006, DRL's (and auto headlights) were easily defeatable by flicking the spring loaded headlight switch. When the car was shut off and restarted, DRL's were back on. On the SRT, the DRL's can only be defeated by navigating to them and disabling them in uConnect or by turning the headlight switch to "off" instead of automatic. Not really a big deal I suppose, but when I am on a two-lane road I like the DRL's to be on, and sometimes it's not easy to remember to turn the headlight switch back to auto.

2) Auto dim high beams: GM called their version "intellibeam." Easy to turn off/on on GM's either by turning on the foglamps/driving lamps or by manually flicking the high beam switch twice. It would default back to enabled. There was a little light on the dash that would tell you when it was enabled. On the SRT, again either you need to disable by uConnect or turn the headlight switch to manual....and thus you need to remember to switch it back.

3) No hard buttons for seat heat and steering wheel heat controls. Extra taps are required on uConnect, which requires taking eyes off the road.

4) Performance pages and other uConnect functions load ridiculously slowly.

5) MDS: Meh. Been discussed here before. It is not quite as seamless as in my GM's.

So....what are some other pet peeves that people have found? (fuel consumption and brake dust don't count....they go with the territory with vehicles like this....). Also, if anyone feels butthurt and thinks that I am bashing and feels the need to tell me that i should go back to my GM products....please reread my post....:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I’ve noticed is when going into a tunnel or parking garage or basically anywhere where it’s dark during the day the headlights will come on automatically since I have them in Auto mode but the lights on the buttons in the interior and SRT on the steering wheel will not come on until it’s completely dark. Kind of annoying since it gets hard to see the buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost forgot a big peeve. What genius did they hire to design the sunroof? Every car that I have ever owned with an electric sunroof (including a '96 grand cherokee) had a neat little deflector that popped up when the sunroof is opened, to reduce wind noise and buffeting. The Durango has something similar, but instead of a deflector it's a piece of mosquito netting. Maybe it reduces buffeting.....but it is noisy and......the DARN THING CATCHES BUGS!!!! After a 100 mile road trip the thing was nasty. It's not like you can just hose it off.....you need to carefully clean it by hand. WTF.......

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes the performance pages load at punch-card speed...yes some panel gaps are askew, I like to fiddle a lot with the steering wheel xm channel/volume buttons and sometimes I hit the paddle shift and wheee we rev to the moon Alice

·
Registered
646 Posts
3) No hard buttons for seat heat and steering wheel heat controls. Extra taps are required on uConnect, which requires taking eyes off the road.
I'm gonna take my chances replying...lol
When you first start the engine, there is a screen where you can quickly turn those two functions on. Doesn't address the lack of hard buttons but, it helps get them going prior to hitting the road.

I don't know if the netting is any noisier than a solid deflector but, it definitely gets full of bugs...lol

My only pet peeve is the thump I get from the suspension on occasion. I had it in my 2014 R/T and still get it in my SRT so it must be some kind of design flaw.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wait, i just remembered.
No Spare Tire!!!
I mean, I get it. Run flats. Fine. But how about making a spare tire standard just in case the owner can't afford to replace his run flats with run flats when it comes time to buy new tires. I think it's cheap to make a potential buyer cough up another $400 on a safety item.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For myself.. I have 2 that kinda twists my onions. The onboard dash layout when changing via steering wheel lags painfully slow, switching from screen to screen. Why isn't it faster instead of a 1-2sec delay. In other vehicles I own /owned, it's instantaneous. Feels like I'm waiting for water to boil.

The other is the different driving modes. If you change it to a custom mode or any other mode for that matter, why does it always revert back to auto mode?? Ugh. I suppose stop being lazy and just push the SRT button twice everytime you start it is fine but an unnecessary step IMO.
Other than that, I enjoy the thirsty beast.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
What I’ve noticed is when going into a tunnel or parking garage or basically anywhere where it’s dark during the day the headlights will come on automatically since I have them in Auto mode but the lights on the buttons in the interior and SRT on the steering wheel will not come on until it’s completely dark. Kind of annoying since it gets hard to see the buttons.

I believe they are coming on, but the contrast/brightness is not sufficient to offset (or account for) the ambient light. You can override this by adjusting the dash dimmer up (which should be found left of the steering wheel on the lower part of the dash) to the first click, which puts dash lights on full brightness (the next click turns on the interior lights -dome, etc). Just know that, when you do this, you override the auto day/night mode in maps. To undo, simply roll the dial back down (just past the "click").

·
Registered
482 Posts
I almost forgot a big peeve. What genius did they hire to design the sunroof? Every car that I have ever owned with an electric sunroof (including a '96 grand cherokee) had a neat little deflector that popped up when the sunroof is opened, to reduce wind noise and buffeting. The Durango has something similar, but instead of a deflector it's a piece of mosquito netting. Maybe it reduces buffeting.....but it is noisy and......the DARN THING CATCHES BUGS!!!! After a 100 mile road trip the thing was nasty. It's not like you can just hose it off.....you need to carefully clean it by hand. WTF.......
Agreed, plus it's ugly as sin I think.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2) Auto dim high beams: GM called their version "intellibeam." Easy to turn off/on on GM's either by turning on the foglamps/driving lamps or by manually flicking the high beam switch twice. It would default back to enabled. There was a little light on the dash that would tell you when it was enabled. On the SRT, again either you need to disable by uConnect or turn the headlight switch to manual....and thus you need to remember to switch it back.
Maybe I am not understanding this but I keep my headlights on auto and to enable/disable my auto high beams I can just pull or push the left steering column stalk and in the center information screen where the tach is it tells me whether it's enable or disabled.

As for pet peeves, mine are pretty small and similar to yours:

1) I wish the heated steering wheel and seats were hard buttons that I could leave on all the time instead of having to turn them on each time I turn the car on. Also, the touch screen the buttons for this are small and I fat finger it sometimes while I am driving even if the road is really smooth.

2) I wish the drive settings stayed the same from where I set it last and not default to eco mode.

3) Behind the left side of the steering wheel is the button to scroll through the radio presets but it only scrolls one way. All of the other cars I have driven had another button that scrolls the opposite way so you could go back to a preset station without having to cycle all the way through the other presets.

4) In my Lexus I am able to rewind live radio up to 15 minutes. Sounds dumb but once you have it is a nice feature to be able to re-listen to songs or talk radio if you miss something being said, etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
4) In my Lexus I am able to rewind live radio up to 15 minutes. Sounds dumb but once you have it is a nice feature to be able to re-listen to songs or talk radio if you miss something being said, etc.
With Sirius/XM you can rewind up to 60min on the DSRT. And when you tune to a new preset station, it automatically starts at the beginning of the song that is playing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
With Sirius/XM you can rewind up to 60min on the DSRT. And when you tune to a new preset station, it automatically starts at the beginning of the song that is playing.
I did notice that you could rewind Sirius but not regular radio. Of course one could argue that I am the only one that listens to regular radio these days but to be able to rewind is nice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe I am not understanding this but I keep my headlights on auto and to enable/disable my auto high beams I can just pull or push the left steering column stalk and in the center information screen where the tach is it tells me whether it's enable or disabled.

As for pet peeves, mine are pretty small and similar to yours:

1) I wish the heated steering wheel and seats were hard buttons that I could leave on all the time instead of having to turn them on each time I turn the car on. Also, the touch screen the buttons for this are small and I fat finger it sometimes while I am driving even if the road is really smooth.

2) I wish the drive settings stayed the same from where I set it last and not default to eco mode.

3) Behind the left side of the steering wheel is the button to scroll through the radio presets but it only scrolls one way. All of the other cars I have driven had another button that scrolls the opposite way so you could go back to a preset station without having to cycle all the way through the other presets.

Your #1 and 3 match mine. For 1 have it set to come on automatically with certain temps, so this helps, but not perfect.

#3 is my biggest complaint. This is the same as my wife’s Pacifica also. Drives me crazy. Why isn’t the center button for changing the source and the up down for presets??? Stupid.

For #2 you do know it only defaults to eco if you have eco turned on? Or did you mean auto?

Do you know about the SRT button double click short cut?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your #1 and 3 match mine. For 1 have it set to come on automatically with certain temps, so this helps, but not perfect.

#3 is my biggest complaint. This is the same as my wife’s Pacifica also. Drives me crazy. Why isn’t the center button for changing the source and the up down for presets??? Stupid.

For #2 you do know it only defaults to eco if you have eco turned on? Or did you mean auto?

Do you know about the SRT button double click short cut?

Yes I meant it defaults to auto. I do know the double click but would like it to stay in the mode I want at all times without having to double click the srt button. I also have the seats set to auto depending on temp but would still like hard buttons.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes I meant it defaults to auto. I do know the double click but would like it to stay in the mode I want at all times without having to double click the srt button. I also have the seats set to auto depending on temp but would still like hard buttons.
I’m with you there. The mode selection seems to be a universal SRT complaint.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My biggest complaints are:
1. Lane keep assist tells me at least once a day to "keep my hands on the wheel". I have to just flick the steering wheel a bit to shut it up.
2. Sometimes I have issues with fueling. I've had to rotate the handle 180 degrees up to get fuel in.
3. Paint isn't as nice as it should be on a $72k vehicle.
4. Wish apple carplay was wireless
5. I also, hate the bug screen/air deflector.
6. Wish Uconnect/Guardian services were included in the price.
7. Voice recognition is crap...works right the first time about 60% of the time.

None of these are a big enough deal for me to not like it. I LOVE it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
While not perfect I have found that if you press the scan button in either direction, that as long as the station it lands on is not a preset, if you press the preset button it will return to the first preset station on the current set of 6.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apple car play is not wireless ?!?! Just ordered a 2019 dsrt.

also my RT has the same pet peeve that I think I’m gonna inherit with the SRT: $75,000 car with no power folding mirrors... come on now...

·
Registered
136 Posts
My biggest complaints are:
1. Lane keep assist tells me at least once a day to "keep my hands on the wheel". I have to just flick the steering wheel a bit to shut it up.
2. Sometimes I have issues with fueling. I've had to rotate the handle 180 degrees up to get fuel in.
3. Paint isn't as nice as it should be on a $72k vehicle.
4. Wish apple carplay was wireless
5. I also, hate the bug screen/air deflector.
6. Wish Uconnect/Guardian services were included in the price.
7. Voice recognition is crap...works right the first time about 60% of the time.

None of these are a big enough deal for me to not like it. I LOVE it.
After driving my mom’s new 2019 BMW X5 with wireless CarPlay I was VErY happy to get back into my SRT and have to plug the cable in. I am sure they will get it right eventually... but it was awful!!! Disconnected constantly and randomly in the BMW. She has had it I t he dealer multiple times and they have no fix... So careful of what you wish for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Apple car play is not wireless ?!?! Just ordered a 2019 dsrt.

also my RT has the same pet peeve that I think I’m gonna inherit with the SRT: $75,000 car with no power folding mirrors... come on now...

Forgot about the non-folding mirrors. It used to bother me but it’s been a year for me with the DDSRT so I eventually forgot about it. That’s a good one.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
21 Participants
CaptMoe
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing