Dodge Durango Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
‘18 SRT
56 Posts
So I had my rotors and pads installed two weeks ago. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, been noticing a lot of vibration at highway speeds. None at braking just when driving. Went to have my wheels rebalanced and still vibrating. I called CarID and they said their tech support would get back to me about what the next step is as far as maybe getting a whole new set. The shop I had these done at are a very reputable shop and they informed me that a rotor could be off balance and that I’d have to get new ones. Question to you guys is, have you ever heard or had an issue where a rotor(s) have been unbalanced which caused vibration?

·
Registered
74 Posts
So I had my rotors and pads installed two weeks ago. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, been noticing a lot of vibration at highway speeds. None at braking just when driving. Went to have my wheels rebalanced and still vibrating. I called CarID and they said their tech support would get back to me about what the next step is as far as maybe getting a whole new set. The shop I had these done at are a very reputable shop and they informed me that a rotor could be off balance and that I’d have to get new ones. Question to you guys is, have you ever heard or had an issue where a rotor(s) have been unbalanced which caused vibration?
I have not had that issue but have had a subtle ‘high speed’ vib after installing the kit. I didn’t think much of it as it has only been minor. I have had a few cases where high speed braking causes a wobble in my FR position. Behaves after I give them a good grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 SRT 6.4L V8
76 Posts
Interesting... I was under the impression that all OEM SRT runs had the SRT cap... but it’s not important... I know that some folks like to remove all SRT tags anyway.

It does have the SRT tag. I guess your statement thinking they weren't confused me. No biggie. I'm looking into getting the black version. Already ordered black lug nuts.

·
Registered
‘18 SRT
56 Posts
So update on the rotors and pads I got from Powerstop. So took the truck to see if the rotors were warped at all which may have been causing highway speed vibrations. The shop said the rotors aren’t warped so I’m guessing they are just out of balance. I spoke to Powerstop who said they’re gonna send me a whole new set of rotors. Hopefully the new set helps but this is pretty frustrating. I’ll keep updating.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So update on the rotors and pads I got from Powerstop. So took the truck to see if the rotors were warped at all which may have been causing highway speed vibrations. The shop said the rotors aren’t warped so I’m guessing they are just out of balance. I spoke to Powerstop who said they’re gonna send me a whole new set of rotors. Hopefully the new set helps but this is pretty frustrating. I’ll keep updating.
Sorry to hear of the issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have found Powerstop's customer service to be VERY responsive and accomodating.
That's good to hear. I hear nothing back from EBC I reached out to them about the Durango SRT, as well as Brembo and Hawk. Brembo actually pointed me to RacingBrake.com by phone, I thought that was strange although they do list SRT Challenger/charger parts on their site.

Hawk replied as follows when I contacted them about the DDSRT:

"
Are you looking for an increase in stopping performance on the street? For your vehicle the stock pads have a .3 coeff friction and tend to fade off around 300 deg F.

If you looking for a better street performance, we recommend our Performance Ceramic compound. Its our newest street compound and it has low dust, low noise characteristics to keep your car clean.

The pads will operate at wider temperature range than the factory pads and when driving the car aggressively the pads will last longer.

The part numbers for your vehicle are HB649Z.605 (front) and HB194Z.570 (rear).

These fitments aren’t listed on our website, we just got confirmation from a distributor a couple weeks ago. We’re working on making on going changes to our website and our catalog throughout the year. "

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm getting closer and closer to a full 4 corner brake job... Leaning toward OE Brembos hardware again, or Hawk as discussed above, or full $$$ spend on the two-peice rotors from "Demon Performance" (re-marketed Racing Brake rotors)... I'm all over that unsprung mass reduction:

"The front rotors are 23.4 lbs vs. 33.2 lbs for the stock units. The rear rotors are approx 17 lbs vs. 24 lbs for the stock units. This reduction in rotational and unsprung weight allows for quicker acceleration and suspension response."

·
Registered
60 Posts
@frictioncircle
I ended up getting a set of all 4 OE SRT pads AND rotors randomly on Facebook Marketplace for $1400 shipped to my door, someone about to do the brake job decided to sell the SRT. So I'm staying with OE SRT this time around. The rears are original at 30k miles just hitting the indicator. The fronts are about 1/3 left on the second set of pads/rotors.

@ everyone...
Torque specs for the brake job ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want max braking performance, the OEM Brembo pads are hard to beat, especially since the dust doesn't bother you. Most of us from the Hellcat world can't stand the high dust the OEM pads produce related to keeping the wheels clean, and many of us have switched to PowerStop Z23 or Z26 carbon ceramic pads. These pads are nearly dustless, and still have good performance for all but serious road racing applications. The key with any pad of course, is to burnish them in properly. I have a set of Z26 pads on my workbench waiting for my Durango to arrive - that will be mod #1.

As far as rotors, can't offer much advice right now, since I'm a ways off from having to replace mine yet. I believe PowerStop also offers rotors, as well as Centric. My first choice would be OEM, but waiting for the price to come down more.
Whats the link for brake pads ? Looking to replace my pads on my 2021 dodge durango srt

101 - 120 of 126 Posts