Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
1. Typically they are lighter weight. The lower un-sprung weight the better!
2. Aluminum dissipates heat faster than cast iron, so rotors stay cooler.
3. Lower cost over the life of vehicle as replacement of outer ring typically less than replacement of 1 piece rotors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wait, aluminum transfers heat faster but where else can the heat go except into the hub/bearing assembly and the wheel. I have never seen a NON-vented rotor on the front of any vehicle so I would assume that both the 1-piece and the 2-piece units are vented very well. And who is worried about unsprung weight when Chrysler is installing heavy run flat tires. Now that is where a lot of weight could be saved and it is not like there is no room for a spare like in a Corvette or Challenger.
Also, no money will be saved on the 2-piece thing because they are way way expensive probably because of all the intricate machining and hole drilling.
I also wonder how easy it is to warp that aluminum center by overtightening the lugs with the impact wrenches that all the top notch mechanics and tire installers are always using. Sorry, I say no thanks.

Boy, am I cranky. Hah.

When I find a dealer who will deal, very soon I will be ordering with "just" the standard brakes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its February. Sales are down. Everybody's dealin'. Though deals on orders are never as good as deals on existing inventory.
Yea, but when it comes to a factory order, dealers can be real a-holes.

Are the SRT front pads 350 or 380mm? What are the rears?
Don't know about that one. Somebody will know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I totally agree with everything said here. I changed my OEM pads out at 7k because I couldn’t stand the brake dust anymore. Kept the original rotors and slapped Power Stops at all four corners and that got the dust level to very tolerable. You do lose some of the bite the OEMs give and every now and then I do get a ‘morning squeal’ for about 50-100 ft.but then it goes away. I did keep the OEM pads on the storage shelf in case I have a planned track trip. The Power Stops are a very reasonable alternative to buying the OEM pads especially for the price. Summit Racing Equipment carries them too. I have a hint over 10k now and no issues nearing the end of a NE Ohio winter...

Off subject but if you haven’t yet, swap out your OEM springs for the MoPar 1 in. Lowering one’s...totally worth it. Body roll reduction and it doesn’t squat nearly as much during launch. Why didn’t FCA put those on during production?!?!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
81ybq2zQ6jL._SL1500_.jpg

Is this the right pads/rotors for the 2018 srt?
Power Stop K5958-26 Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit (Extreme Performance Pads with Drilled/Slotted Rotors)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know about the Power Stop kit, which looks aftermarket. But if you're trying to find out the pad/rotor size for your SRT stock, try FCA? I've emailed them at [email protected] before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About to hit 20,000 miles on SRT and brakes are running low so likely going to replace pads/rotors in about a month. I drive aggressively so want max braking. The current dust level while high doesn't really bother me since I go to the car wash 1-2x/wk. Have any of you replaced your pads yet? and if so with what brand/type? How have you liked performance vs original pads?
Talked to dodge parts dept and cost of Front Pads $492, Rear $382, Rotors about $300/each. May get those OEM or, if performance is the same, another brand for less $.
Order parts online and save dollars to local dealer prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I changed to Porterfield in their 4s compound. Still has some dust, but not as much as what came on it. Excellent stopping performance. Brembos are super easy to change pads. No need to change rotors unless you wear them thin or warp them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just passes 28,000km and the dealer says the front rotors and pads need replacing. The SRT is two years old this week. So, now I need to decide to replace with OEM or with a aftermarket kit that has carbon pads and the rotors have some carbon as well. They are cheaper than the brembo oem. Going to give them a try as I only plan on keeping this for one more year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Finally got around to installing the front PS Z23s today and cleaned up the calipers and insides of my wheels. I had the dealer install the Mopar lowering springs last week and they smoked my lugs on. It was an absolute workout getting all 4 wheels off, broke one 1/2” drive breaker bar and had to buy a new one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
well I finally swapped my winter for summer wheels and used my aluminum floor jack using a wood block to increase the height since my jack is a lower profile ....worked ok. My oem pads are very near done after 20k..not bad.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The dealer will NOT resurface your rotors. I was told NO by two separate dealers. I was told by another shop that there are no specs for these rotors and they wouldn't resurface them either.
Has anyone here just replaced their pads without any issues?
So I just had my dealer replace front pads only after 20k miles and they did not even mention rotor replacement...so Yes to your question.

·
Registered
749 Posts
So I just had my dealer replace front pads only after 20k miles and they did not even mention rotor replacement...so Yes to your question.
Good because they aren't cheap...lol
No pulsation, even at highway speeds? I think my driving style needed an adjustment. I have been fine on the Wagner pads/rotors for a bit now. I have to double check but I think I've put over 20k miles on them and still going.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts