Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a high pitched chirping or squealing type noise coming from the passenger side of my 2014 Durango Limited. You can hear it pretty clearly in this video starting at about 19s. The noise matches the speed of the vehicle. The faster I go, the faster it squeaks.

I recently replaced all four brake pads as well as the rear rotors. I also just had the rear shocks replaced as there was a loud rubbing noise when driving in parking lots over small bumps. That noise is now gone, but I'm still trying to figure out what this other noise is.

At first I thought the dust shield was probably rubbing the back of the rotor, but I checked/pried on both the passenger side dust shields and no improvement. It's been this way for about 4 weeks now so I feel like if it was just a bit of rust rubbing it would have cleared out by now. Any ideas what it could be?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To clarify since there are a couple sounds captured in the video. The knocking sounds at the beginning are not what I'm talking about. It's that sound starting in around 19 seconds. It kind of reminds me of the noise grasshoppers sometimes make. Then there's more of a whistling noise around 36 seconds. That not it either, ignore that. :)

· Registered
208 Posts
i believe i've heard that the brakes will squeak if lube has not been applied to the back of the pad, considering you said you just had them replaced.

honestly, i was not able to hear the noise on the video, but i'm also not wearing headphones. that rattle is quite annoying, though. i have the same problem with my ram right now around the driver's window controls. it's completely random and no matter where i press or push it stays. nothing the alpine and some tool can't fix

· Premium Member
5,882 Posts
Soules75:
The noise is faint. Which engine is this? Have you listened under the hood for the source there?

Don

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
Could be a belt tensioner or sqeaky belt.

Reactions: Gypsy68

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't sound like a belt whine, and specifically is coming from the passenger side. Doesn't go away once the vehicle warms up. It's the v6, not the hemi. It's almost like a rubber squeaking noise. Hard to describe. I think it's fairly audible in the video though even on my phone speakers.

· Premium Member
5,882 Posts
Ok:
Remove the serp belt, and take it for a short spin. If the sound goes away, you know it's a belt driven accessory issue. Not too long though, as your water pump won't be spinning.
In addition, play with the HVAC fan control. I have heard failing blower motors chirp like that.

Don

· Registered
87 Posts
Ok:
Remove the serp belt, and take it for a short spin. If the sound goes away, you know it's a belt driven accessory issue. Not too long though, as your water pump won't be spinning.
In addition, play with the HVAC fan control. I have heard failing blower motors chirp like that.

Don
My '14 has a similar chirp. I'm fairly certain that is the blower motor. Turn of your HVAC to confirm.

That leads to the next question, how difficult is it to change that blower motor? I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question, but would be interested if anybody has attempted it.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Man that chirp must be out of my hearing range. LOL.
I have serious tinnitus due to playing guitar LOUD for years so I don't hear certain frequencies.

· Registered
477 Posts
Hello @Soules75,

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle's noise concerns. If you elect to visit your local Dodge dealership regarding this concern please let us know as we would like to offer our support! Send us a private message with your mileage to get started.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My HVAC does make some annoying noises, but it's not the noise I'm talking about. Still happens with HVAC turned off. It's like a metal on metal rubbing noise that sounds rotational if that makes sense. It picks up speed along with the vehicle, so I'm fairly sure it's wheel related or at least a moving part on the passenger side.

Like I said, I think it's just one of those noises you can't diagnose from inside the vehicle. I need to have my wife drive while I walk alongside to really pinpoint where it's coming from. If I find out I will update this thread.

As for the video - it doesn't start until about 19seconds in. It starts fairly faint, then gets pretty darn loud. So unless your ears are shot from years of guitar playing 😀 I feel like you should hear it pretty easily in the video. It's not really a chirp. Think more of a metal on metal rubbing sound. Not a grinding, but a higher pitched metal rubbing sound. Like if you rubbed two swords together lol. I don't know how to put it into words!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night I took the front and rear tires off and removed the calipers, rotors, pads, etc. I checked anything I could think of for wobble or play or noise, but didn't find a whole lot. I put it all back together carefully and took it for a drive. The noise seemed to be gone. However this morning on my way to work the noise came back within a couple minutes of hitting the road. This is getting frustrating now. I am running out of ideas here, and starting to think that it might not be brake/rotor/caliper related.

What kind of noise would a bad u-joint, ball bearing, CV joint, etc. make? Any other moving parts that would squeak or rub faster as the vehicle picks up speed and then slow back down when the vehicle slows? It's not a belt whining. I've heard and dealt with that before. This is something else...sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, or possibly underneath the vehicle somewhere.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
If you think it is a CV joint on the passenger side and the noise is consistent when driving (yes it will be in time with your speed if it is a joint) then at the lowest speed you hear it make a right turn (if possible) to take the weight off the passenger side. if the sound stops it is your cv joint. If you have to go too fast to make a turn then try changing lanes left lane to right lane again to take weight/stress of the passenger CV joint.

· Registered
3 Posts
Could be a belt tensioner or sqeaky belt.
Belt tensioner is on that side of the engine and mine was doing that when I changed it out - very easy to do as I did it myself on a 2000 5.9. Noise went away. But is could also be like the other guy said, no grease on back of your new brake pads. Older vehicles like to be squeaky if the tiniest bit of rust or wear is on it. My leaf springs are awful noisy even when clean and lubed.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
Replace the bracket is "what it would be the fix."

Reactions: Urbish
1 - 20 of 20 Posts