Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drove our Durango and family back from our family vacation in Florida. Live by Peoria IL and went down to Fort Pierce area to stay on Hutchinson island for a week. On the way down we drove 9 hours to Calhoun GA and got hotel room then drove the other 9 hours on Saturday (week ago today). This time on the way back we didn’t want to stop and I didnt want to be getting home super late in the day, so we left at 7pm central time last night Friday and got home at 2 pm Saturday. I drove the whole way. Caffeinated up baby. Anyway the Durango really is a great cruising machine. Here are my stats below.
View attachment 110536
I thought that mileage was pretty good (I got the Hemi). I set adaptive cruise on 79 and overrode it up in the 80s many times to get around people. I pushed it. When I would fill up my range was 520 miles, which I think is excellent. I did have the eco on. I even hand washed it when we got home, it was filthy and buggy. Gonna wax it tomorrow. The house we rented had a garage that barely fit it. I was glad I could get it in because I didn’t want it baking the Florida heat all week. Here’s how close that was
View attachment 110537
View attachment 110538
anyway, thought I’d share. Now off to bed. I’ve been up 37 Hours now.
Drove our Durango and family back from our family vacation in Florida. Live by Peoria IL and went down to Fort Pierce area to stay on Hutchinson island for a week. On the way down we drove 9 hours to Calhoun GA and got hotel room then drove the other 9 hours on Saturday (week ago today). This time on the way back we didn’t want to stop and I didnt want to be getting home super late in the day, so we left at 7pm central time last night Friday and got home at 2 pm Saturday. I drove the whole way. Caffeinated up baby. Anyway the Durango really is a great cruising machine. Here are my stats below.
View attachment 110536
I thought that mileage was pretty good (I got the Hemi). I set adaptive cruise on 79 and overrode it up in the 80s many times to get around people. I pushed it. When I would fill up my range was 520 miles, which I think is excellent. I did have the eco on. I even hand washed it when we got home, it was filthy and buggy. Gonna wax it tomorrow. The house we rented had a garage that barely fit it. I was glad I could get it in because I didn’t want it baking the Florida heat all week. Here’s how close that was
View attachment 110537
View attachment 110538
anyway, thought I’d share. Now off to bed. I’ve been up 37 Hours now.
Just got back to Chicago from Denver last night, 14 hours, split driving in haves. Took Durango GT daughters, I have the SRT - thought I'd stay out of trouble taking hers. Drove 78-83 depending if 70 or 75 speed limit - 22.9 out and 23.9 back. Adaptive slows coming up on someone too soon (about 6-8 car lengths) for even at shortest setting. Too many people squeezed over late as I was already going around triggering a more abrupt back off. Very comfortable ride/drive. GT still had good power in mountains.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I always hear you all say I go over speed limit. Is there a limit how fast we can drive without a ticket?
Very subjective topic.

When I was a little kid in the late '60s my parent's thought was that you could go 5 mph over with virtually zero risk. At one time here in Florida; if you went enough years without a ticket the state put "Safe Driver" on your license and that gave you a 5 mph grace range.

When I was probably 11 or 12, me and some buddies hung around an officer who was running radar on a surface road where the speed limit was 30 mph. His expression was "up to 9 you're fine. Over 9 and you're mine." Keep in mind that was 50 years ago, but it stuck with me. ;).

About 15 years ago, a group of officers (mix of Sheriffs and Highway Patrol officers) were sitting together at one of my favorite breakfast diners. While I was waiting for my order, I asked them how much leeway a guy could get on the highway ... in Mexico of course. The most common answer was don't go more than 9 over - - and that depended on traffic and conditions. One guy said he gives people 12 mph on the open highway (out of city limits.). The others told him he was just too lazy to do the paperwork.

So around town "in Mexico" ... if the sign says 45 mph, I try to stay at or under 52 mph.

Out on the highway "in Mexico" ... if the sign says 70, I set the cruise around 79 if I'm just cruising. I'll sometimes run faster to get away from drivers I don't trust or to stay with a pack of like-minded, competent drivers.

In every case .... when I see an officer with someone pulled over, I move over one lane (if at all possible) and lift off of the gas to slow down so I don't flaunt my speeding.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have always heard “9 you’re fine, 10 you’re mine”. Very satisfying seeing people get pulled over who go 90. On way to Florida (in Florida on I-75 actually) there was a guy with jacked up chevy duramax who thought he was cool. He had to be going 90, as I said I was going 79 and he passed me like I was standing still. Anyway about an hour later I saw him pulled over. I found it funny.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I might take a trip soon and was asking, don’t want to get tickets. Do you all use radar detector when you all travel? Are they effective, if so recommend me some good brands for when I do travel.
I do travel with a radar detector just so I'm aware of what's going on.

I have a Valentine 1 (that I'll be upgrading to the new Valentine 1 Generation 2 in the near future) in my Challenger SRT 392. I use a Blendmount so it's attached to the rearview mirror stem instead of suction cups and a Mirrortap so it draws power from the mirror and is powered up any time the ignition is on.

And, I have an older Bel radar detector in our Durango R/T. It was pretty good when it was new and still gives "adequate" notice of radar, but it also picks up false signals from other vehicles' anti-collision systems. I have a Blendmount for it also, but no Mirrortap as it seems to only like to be powered by the Beltronics Smart Cord that plugs into the 12-volt outlet.

Reactions: bigunit54

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's impressive....I drove my 2018 Durango RT from Calgary Alberta to Toronto Ontario via the US (cheaper gas).

Took me 32 hours broke it up in two drives of 16 hours each. I was super impressed at the mileage.

22.5 MPG (don't judge....I rather see my fuel burn in MPG and my distance in KM). Kept the speed to 15MPH above the limit except the first first night.

Got stopped the first night almost to the hotel in Fargo ND. Was going 80 in a 50 zone. It was almost 3 am no one on the road. As I passed the Officer I saw him hit his brake to start the vehicle. I immediately pulled aside. He came up "thank you for not making me chase ya down. What do you guys up in Canada give to Police when you're pulled over?"

Gave him my documents. Went back did whatever he did comes up and says "slow down...won't give you a ticket cause you didn't make me chase you down...."

And then we chatted for 15 minutes as to why Canadians choose to drive through the US rather than driving across Canada.

Anyways thread drift.

I'm always surprised at the mileage on the Hemi when in cruise. My 2005 Magnum (with MDS and Hemi) is still awesome on the fuel as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I always feel tired after drives like these even though the car is very comfy. I actually like to sleep in my car after drives like this even though it might sound weird. I sometimes feel too tired to get out of the car and I have a problem falling asleep in unfamiliar places, which my job takes me to often.
For that specific reason I always have a blanket and a pillow in my car and I have been using them often. I learned how to rearrange the seats in a way that allows me to sleep semi comfortable in the car. I have an orthopedic pillow that provides the necessary neck support as well as a weighted blanket that allows me to fall asleep faster. I have tried a few different brands over the years but my personal favorite would have to be the ones I ordered of https://sommio.co.uk/. It is amazing quality and it handles all the traveling well. I usually dry clean it but my partner has one at home and it handles the regular washing machine just as well. Overall it's a great thing to have in your household in mho

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a general rule, it's safe to drive for no longer than eight hours a day, taking breaks of at least 15 minutes every two hours.But that depends mostly on you, the driver. Some people can stay awake and alert for very long periods of time. Others cannot.

Even I drove DURGANO upto 12-14 hours continuously as my work requires travelling so i usually travel. But when driving on long journey that takes more than 12 hours i usually have a companion and we drive in shifts. and I make sure to keep a pillow and a light wright cookie blanket to complete my sleep too as it is necessity otherwise it can cause you injury and take you to the bed rest.

No dought DURGANO is a comfortable vehicle but still one should be physically fit enough to drive such long distances.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
416 Posts
WTF ☝☝☝

Durgano.......is that a spice in the carousel?

So many of our threads on this forum get hit by spammers these days. I'm sure it's automated, but how can we stop this madness?

Reactions: GTSDart340
41 - 56 of 56 Posts