Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wow that was a tight fit in the garage
Yes it was. Wasn’t a super deep garage anyway and the homeowner had cabinets in the front, the in Florida the garage doors always got those metal braces on them, I suppose for hurricane winds and stuff. I was glad I could get it in there though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes it was. Wasn’t a super deep garage anyway and the homeowner had cabinets in the front, the in Florida the garage doors always got those metal braces on them, I suppose for hurricane winds and stuff. I was glad I could get it in there though.
That's exactly what those metal braces are for. Even with those braces, if Mother Nature decides she wants to make a mess out of your garage ... there's going to be a mess.

We've taken our '17 Durango R/T on two trips from Florida to the Smoky Mountains. And we try to avoid the interstate for the most part - but not entirely. It seems to love the mountains because these trips represent some of the best mileage it's ever gotten.

The glare makes the picture a little hard to read, but as I pulled into my driveway after nine days on the road we had covered 1,784 miles and averaged 25.2 mpg. Oh, and I'd spent 40 hours behind the wheel. And enjoyed every minute of it!

0C36A0FF-A618-4B56-B4F4-BE6B50944F84.jpeg

Reactions: bigunit54

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's exactly what those metal braces are for. Even with those braces, if Mother Nature decides she wants to make a mess out of your garage ... there's going to be a mess.

We've taken our '17 Durango R/T on two trips from Florida to the Smoky Mountains. And we try to avoid the interstate for the most part - but not entirely. It seems to love the mountains because these trips represent some of the best mileage it's ever gotten.

The glare makes the picture a little hard to read, but as I pulled into my driveway after nine days on the road we had covered 1,784 miles and averaged 25.2 mpg. Oh, and I'd spent 40 hours behind the wheel. And enjoyed every minute of it!

View attachment 110561
Wow that is awesome mileage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow that is awesome mileage.
That was 2019, but the same trip in 2018 wasn't much less ... like high 24s.

I guess it's because I spent very little time just idling in traffic. Like you, when I'm on the interstate, I typically set the cruise at 79 and run a little faster with an eye on my radar detector. But for this trip, the math says that my average speed for the whole trip was only around 44mph. The backroads we took up through the middle of Georgia are a mix of 2-lane and 4-lane and traffic was light enough that I didn't have to engage the Hemi too often. Just cruising along for long stretches -- but often between 65 and 72. Plus, cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway meant a lot of time running between 45 and 55. And while the mileage going uphill was horrible, it obviously loved to coast downhill. You'd think I'd learn from this and cut my speed ..... nah!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That’s so funny that you said engage the Hemi. When I was passing people on this trip and I needed to mash it to get around them I would say “Hemi engaged”. Just like Ricky Bobby said slingshot engaged. Haha. My wife got tired of it pretty quick, lol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That’s so funny that you said engage the Hemi. When I was passing people on this trip and I needed to mash it to get around them I would say “Hemi engaged”. Just like Ricky Bobby said slingshot engaged. Haha. My wife got tired of it pretty quick, lol.
Great minds think alike!

Our Durango is primarily my wife's vehicle ... she's pretty quick to say "put the Hemi on them" if there's a car that needs passing. :)

Reactions: bigunit54

·
Registered
209 Posts
God willing, I would like to own a Hemi. I did test drive reactor blue RT. The first thing I noticed was the Hemi sound. Unfortunately the test drive did not allow for acceleration, just turns and corners. So I didn’t get to experience the Hemi you all talk about.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Test drive should allow for whatever you want it to allow for. That’d piss me off to no end if salesman said you couldn’t drive certain places or ways. I understand if it’s a brand new engine you aren’t going to go crazy, but you should be allowed to actually drive on a test drive.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BigUnit54 Not trying to get off course from your actual thread. I’ve actually met salesman that steered you away from the actual car you wanted to buy just so they can move inventory. How I know this, they said it sold, seem uninterested to try and at least help you. I’ve learned my lessons don’t deal with those type of salesman. A good one or decent one will at least try hustle to get you approved, not make you feel inferior because of your credit. So yea, I test drove a “20 Reactor Blue, allowed to get on interstate. Instead he took us some country road around curves and corners. I couldn’t really accelerate or see how good merging is with this particular Hemi. Needless to say, maybe one day I’ll get one depends how Chrysler treats me down the road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BigUnit54 Not trying to get off course from your actual thread. I’ve actually met salesman that steered you away from the actual car you wanted to buy just so they can move inventory. How I know this, they said it sold, seem uninterested to try and at least help you. I’ve learned my lessons don’t deal with those type of salesman. A good one or decent one will at least try hustle to get you approved, not make you feel inferior because of your credit. So yea, I test drove a “20 Reactor Blue, allowed to get on interstate. Instead he took us some country road around curves and corners. I couldn’t really accelerate or see how good merging is with this particular Hemi. Needless to say, maybe one day I’ll get one depends how Chrysler treats me down the road.
To further run this thread off-track .... back in '84, I went with my mom (who was 63 at the time) to a Dodge dealer to trade her '76 Dodge Charger for a '84 Dodge Daytona.

As we stood next to a car she liked, the first salesman that approached us said to my mom, "how do you like our ugly little car. I guess maybe the young people will like it."

My mom said, "I like it just fine and guess I'll be buying one somewhere else."

With that we left and went to a nearby Chrysler dealer where she bought a Chrysler Laser that day. His loss!

·
Registered
209 Posts
@BG54 if it’s ok with you, I’d like to add to Wizard of Iz reply.

Well your mom didn’t take his attitude, good for her. It’s sad, really is and I’ve learned is this. Take care of your current vehicle as best that you can. That way it will look nice, and trade it or sell it when you are in a position to win. This is why I take care of our Durango as best I can. I always say God first, then family, then everything else. But if you don’t take care of your cars pretty soon you’ll be making Chrysler even more rich with repairs. I remember the days I used to drive by Dodge dealerships and I used to say “man I hope I get a Durango someday”. Now I got one and proud of her except for the engine rattle and brake pop but that’s for another thread

@bigunit54 going back to this thread did you notice difference in MPG with eco off or on?

Also share your experience with the level of comfort from driving seat? There was a thread a while back about the driver seat being uncomfortable?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well dealers are all different. Where I’m from in southern IL dealers NEVER go with you on a test drive. They will let you take a vehicle home some times and a few dealers will offer for you to keep a vehicle overnight and see if you like it. Here where I am now in more northern IL most salesman want to ride with you. I still have ran across some who are like “take it home, see how it fits in your garage, keep it a couple hours it’s fine” but not too many. However if a salesman is riding with me I tell him where I want to drive and how I want to drive it. Actually though on our current Durango I bought it 2.5 hours away from where we live so I didn’t know the area at all. So the salesman rode with me. I told him though that I wanted to drive it on the interstate because I wanted to make sure it was quiet at cruising speeds and I wanted to hit some stop lights to test acceleration. He was like yeah sounds good then guided me to those spots. But yeah their attitude makes a difference for sure.
As for the seats I thought it was comfortable. I do think these seats are more comfy than our 2012 Durango. I saw that thread was mostly people who owned 2015 and older D’s so maybe they’ve improved the ride quality of them since then. I thought it was good ride quality considering I was in it 18 hours.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did you notice difference in eco on or off mode? Does it makes difference on trips or around town?
Sorry, I forgot to answer this. I don’t run the eco-mode around town, I leave it off. Because I feel like the engine is more responsive with it off. When we are on long trips I do turn the ego mode on. I have looked at the instant mileage when I turn it off and turn it on in the times when I’m cruising, and it doesn’t really jump up or down. But I figure over the course of a long trip if it saves a mile per gallon or so then it might be worth it. it is still plenty responsive on the interstate with the eco-mode on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
thanks for answering, yes sounds like we have similar opinions. Honestly I always have eco on, seems to do good. I recently changed air filter and man what a difference. No joke, unless I’m imagining but it runs better. Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did 13 hours each way Michigan to VA. V6 GT with K&N CAI and averaged 25.8mpg. Full tank peaked at 606 miles. Did excellent on cruise control through the mountains. Very happy with the results and same, pressure washer to the bugs and now some TLC with a sponge and wax.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just did 13 hours each way Michigan to VA. V6 GT with K&N CAI and averaged 25.8mpg. Full tank peaked at 606 miles. Did excellent on cruise control through the mountains. Very happy with the results and same, pressure washer to the bugs and now some TLC with a sponge and wax.
That is awesome! Very good mpg. What year is yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drove our Durango and family back from our family vacation in Florida. Live by Peoria IL and went down to Fort Pierce area to stay on Hutchinson island for a week. On the way down we drove 9 hours to Calhoun GA and got hotel room then drove the other 9 hours on Saturday (week ago today). This time on the way back we didn’t want to stop and I didnt want to be getting home super late in the day, so we left at 7pm central time last night Friday and got home at 2 pm Saturday. I drove the whole way. Caffeinated up baby. Anyway the Durango really is a great cruising machine. Here are my stats below.
View attachment 110536
I thought that mileage was pretty good (I got the Hemi). I set adaptive cruise on 79 and overrode it up in the 80s many times to get around people. I pushed it. When I would fill up my range was 520 miles, which I think is excellent. I did have the eco on. I even hand washed it when we got home, it was filthy and buggy. Gonna wax it tomorrow. The house we rented had a garage that barely fit it. I was glad I could get it in because I didn’t want it baking the Florida heat all week. Here’s how close that was
View attachment 110537
View attachment 110538
anyway, thought I’d share. Now off to bed. I’ve been up 37 Hours now.
I just drove my R/T from Savannah, GA to upper WI. 1380 miles, 19.30 hours 23.6 mpg nonstop both ways. I also got about 526 miles per tank.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just drove my R/T from Savannah, GA to upper WI. 1380 miles, 19.30 hours 23.6 mpg nonstop both ways. I also got about 526 miles per tank.
Wow that is quite a trip! Especially non stop both ways! Well done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drove our Durango and family back from our family vacation in Florida. Live by Peoria IL and went down to Fort Pierce area to stay on Hutchinson island for a week. On the way down we drove 9 hours to Calhoun GA and got hotel room then drove the other 9 hours on Saturday (week ago today). This time on the way back we didn’t want to stop and I didnt want to be getting home super late in the day, so we left at 7pm central time last night Friday and got home at 2 pm Saturday. I drove the whole way. Caffeinated up baby. Anyway the Durango really is a great cruising machine. Here are my stats below.
View attachment 110536
I thought that mileage was pretty good (I got the Hemi). I set adaptive cruise on 79 and overrode it up in the 80s many times to get around people. I pushed it. When I would fill up my range was 520 miles, which I think is excellent. I did have the eco on. I even hand washed it when we got home, it was filthy and buggy. Gonna wax it tomorrow. The house we rented had a garage that barely fit it. I was glad I could get it in because I didn’t want it baking the Florida heat all week. Here’s how close that was
View attachment 110537
View attachment 110538
anyway, thought I’d share. Now off to bed. I’ve been up 37 Hours now.
Great numbers for your trip. I have a ‘14 ddrt with adaptive and we drive it from Philly to Tuscaloosa a few times a year since we bought it and have had similar experience. IMO using the cruise control is key. Love the ride and very comfortable. My wife doesn’t get to sleep much while in the passenger seat cuz she’s naturally a nervous when not driving. I’m amazed at how quickly it will go from 75-90 When attempting to pass the occasional “Sunday” driver in the travel lane. I will say that even with the mileage racking up, my truck hasn’t waivered at all. Happy motoring!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts