Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove our Durango and family back from our family vacation in Florida. Live by Peoria IL and went down to Fort Pierce area to stay on Hutchinson island for a week. On the way down we drove 9 hours to Calhoun GA and got hotel room then drove the other 9 hours on Saturday (week ago today). This time on the way back we didn’t want to stop and I didnt want to be getting home super late in the day, so we left at 7pm central time last night Friday and got home at 2 pm Saturday. I drove the whole way. Caffeinated up baby. Anyway the Durango really is a great cruising machine. Here are my stats below.

I thought that mileage was pretty good (I got the Hemi). I set adaptive cruise on 79 and overrode it up in the 80s many times to get around people. I pushed it. When I would fill up my range was 520 miles, which I think is excellent. I did have the eco on. I even hand washed it when we got home, it was filthy and buggy. Gonna wax it tomorrow. The house we rented had a garage that barely fit it. I was glad I could get it in because I didn’t want it baking the Florida heat all week. Here’s how close that was

anyway, thought I’d share. Now off to bed. I’ve been up 37 Hours now.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
BU54:
Sounds like a fantastic family vacation in the D! Glad that you all had a great time, and it's clear your Durango did it's part to make the trip a success.

Don

Reactions: bigunit54

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks don, yes it was a great time. Many great memories and some good quality family time. Those trip numbers were just for the trip home. Forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice stuff the Mrs and I were just talking about taking the D to Georgia from NJ for Thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Not bad gas mileage for driving an average of 79 miles per hour. Long time be be driving I think I would have not made it that long.
I will say the Durango is very comfortable and IF I ever decided to pull off what you did I would absolutely enjoy it in a durango.

·
Registered
2013 Durango Crew-Hemi-Leather Seats-Bought New-Garage Kept, Dealer Maintained
7 Posts
We’ve made the trip from KY to FL many times, and we’ve also marveled at how comfortable the trips were. Never the marathon you did, but 10-12 hours and very little fatigue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-12 hours is nothing to sneeze at. That’s a good trip. My dad is a farmer and I drove for him a lot when I was younger obviously, so I tell my wife I’m conditioned to being behind the wheel for long long periods of time, although that is different obviously because you’re on rough ground and turning at every end and raising your implement. It worked out well because my kids could sleep for 7 hours or so if the trip. Made it better for them. They slept pretty good back there, my wife couldn’t rest well in the passenger seat. I think she only slept a couple hours at most. My boys are good riders right now. They are 6 and 9 and they play their video games and we got the rear Blu-ray system for when they’re tired of that they watch a movie. I’m feeling good today, slept from about 8 last night till 7 this morning, so good to go. Gonna go wax on the Durango now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another reason I did it the way I did was traffic considerations. This made me hit Atlanta at 4:30 am and Chattanooga at 6 or so. Obviously no traffic then and those two cities can really bite you with traffic jams.
Also, forgot to add earlier, the Hemi is a lot of fun to drive in sport mode on A1A. That was cool. Maybe not for my wife. She said I was “jerking” her back in her seat too much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey BG54, glad to hear you home. I was thinking of taking a trip, but I don’t want to get all these chips on it. I got stupid question, what does the 18:14:40 time? Does that mean you ran it straight 18 hours for 1,264 miles?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That timer runs only when the engine is running. So that is basically the time I was driving, setting in drive thru lanes. Stuff like that. And yes the 1,264 miles was what I drove during that time.
I did good on rock chips. I don’t think I got any new ones. I am shocked because there where a couple times I was sure I did. i do really focuson trying to avoid them. I never follow semis close and I don’t hang out beside them. I punch it around them very fast. I always watch for work trucks and stay way back from them. Sometimes it’s unavoidable but I try my best to avoid them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup, same here. Work trucks, I avoid or speed around it. Good to hear man, wife wants to take a trip. I’ll just take it easy. Went to beach here in TX, and I must say it was nice drive. I haven’t driven it far at all, mostly city and highway but not far. The farthest I drive is like 1 hour at times, but it’s a great cruising truck. Thanks for explaining, I never knew it was for calculating time/mileage.

·
Registered
'18 Mopar Special Edition #099 of 250 B5 Blue
32 Posts
Not hijacking the thread here, but I’m not sure if i could get a rock chip with all the &@(!/)$#€ bugs all over my Durango. I’m sitting here on the gulf coast wondering if I should even bother cleaning these off before I head back north😡

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had them awful down there too. I just left them on because I figured it’d get just as buggy on the way back. And it did. So I cleaned it when I got home here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not hijacking the thread here, but I’m not sure if i could get a rock chip with all the &@(!/)$#€ bugs all over my Durango. I’m sitting here on the gulf coast wondering if I should even bother cleaning these off before I head back north😡
I would get them off even tho you will get more on the way home. As they decay they release acids that eat into the paint & permenantly etch it !

·
Registered
'18 Mopar Special Edition #099 of 250 B5 Blue
32 Posts
Yeah..... but that isn’t in my cooler, if you know what I’m saying😉

1 - 20 of 40 Posts