Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rig- 2000 dodge durango slt, 4.7 w/4wd

Backstory -
dropped a valve seat 5ish months ago, finally got all the parts, and had the heads rebuilt by performance heads in spokane washington. After getting everything put together, and checking everything three times over, I went to start her up, but had no crank. I had power to accessories, it showed mileage, and didn't get the "no bus" sign. She has a new fully charged interstate battery, all the fuses were good, even in the "hidden" fuse box under the dash, the grounds were all tight, etc.

My OBD port broke, and I can't find a matching wiring diagram, otherwise I'd plug my code reader in and figure it out diagnostically.
Could a starter go bad after 5 months? I know that there can be cam sensor issues if the heads are resurfaced more than .002 of an inch, could that cause no cranking? I'm gonna take a meter to the starter tomorrow and see if it's getting power, but do yall have any idea on what it might be? Is there anything I should check again?
Thank you in advance, anything helps.

·
Registered
2021 Durango SRT, 2017 Chrysler 300S 5.7
261 Posts
Have somebody turn the key, and see if you are getting voltage at the starter. If you have power there, then most likely it is the starter.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Have you turned the engine over by hand, to be sure there are no clearance issues? Being an OHC engine, the timing chains had to come off for head removal. Hopefully they went back in to spec. If you are over 100K, I would have done the chains and tensioners while you were in there that deep.

Don

Reactions: Citadel Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you turned the engine over by hand, to be sure there are no clearance issues? Being an OHC engine, the timing chains had to come of for head removal. Hopefully they went back in to spec. If you are over 100K, I would have done the chains and tensioners while you were in there that deep.

Don
I have not tried to turn it over by hand yet, I will be sure to do that after work tomorrow. In all honesty, this is my first time doing a project like this, and, while I did my research, it's becoming more and more apparent that it wasn't enough. I was told by the previous owners that the chain and tensioner were replaced at about 110k. My water pump started leaking from the shaft the other day, so when I go to replace it, I'll probably go in and double check torque specs on everything just in case, is there anything else I should do? Anything a Newby may have missed?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Before you go to the trouble of removing the timing cover, I would recheck the external things. As mentioned, if the starter does not engage at all, it may have frozen, or otherwise gone bad sitting for 5 months. If you can easily access it, verify that power is getting to the starter when you turn the key. if you go in that far, remove it and have it tested to rule it out.
When you say no crank, do you mean it turns over, or no movement at all? I don't see where milling the heads 2 thousandths would affect the cam sensor. Both it and the cam, are on the head. The head will be slightly closer to the block, of course. I would not think that .002 would cause piston/valve issues.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts