Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20140815_083925_zpsemmbqxbf.jpg

Slacked off on the mods lately.... The last thing I did was add the wind deflectors. I bought a new 180 thermostat a month ago, but haven't gotten around to replacing the old one. Still need to add a catch can. Haven't decided on caliper covers vs. simply painting the calipers. I need to pick up some mud guards before the snow comes in a month or so. Thinking of 4", powder coated nerf bars, a step bar, or just go without; not sure I want something to step on since it's already low to the ground.... So much to do! :!: And waaay down the road, I need some better wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Having bars on mine... I can tell you that they are FAIRLY useless.... however keeping them on mine cuz I like the look..

useful if you have kids... but useless for adults really..

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having bars on mine... I can tell you that they are FAIRLY useless.... however keeping them on mine cuz I like the look..

useful if you have kids... but useless for adults really..

just my 2 cents
I was thinking the same. Pretty much useless, but looks pretty good. I just bought some 4" powder-coated bars yesterday on Amazon. I have a chrome piece that runs under the doors and they are Plasti-dipped. I figure the bars will protect the dip from getting rubbed off getting out of the vehicle. I'll post a pic when I get them installed.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
another reason I am keeping mine on.. as they kinda stick out a decent ways and will help protect the lower panels from rocks, ets..

live on 1 mile gravel road so got the mudflaps and running boards to hopefully help out

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
definately post pic... wanna see it when you get them.. sounds cool :cool:
Got them in Thursday and installed them over the weekend. I peeled the dip off the chrome bottom strip, too, since it was taking a beating. I'll re-dip some other day. Four inch oval tubes: not sure I like the look, but they're not coming off now! :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Looks good!! I like 'em :thumbsup:

What brand?

I got 4" oval as well… but in Chrome w/black accents

0810141306a.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good!! I like 'em :thumbsup:

What brand?

I got 4" oval as well… but in Chrome w/black accents

View attachment 18826
Westin was doing $35 rebates, so I went with them. Still not 100% in like with them. If I use them, I hit my head on the cab. If I don't use them, they rub on my pant leg.... Maybe I'll get used to them. <fingers crossed>

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If I use them, I hit my head on the cab. If I don't use them, they rub on my pant leg.... Maybe I'll get used to them. <fingers crossed>
same problem with mine... legs drag on them when exiting :thumbsdown:

but, I like the way they look... so they will stay on for now

·
Registered
114 Posts
View attachment 18393

Slacked off on the mods lately.... The last thing I did was add the wind deflectors. I bought a new 180 thermostat a month ago, but haven't gotten around to replacing the old one. Still need to add a catch can. Haven't decided on caliper covers vs. simply painting the calipers. I need to pick up some mud guards before the snow comes in a month or so. Thinking of 4", powder coated nerf bars, a step bar, or just go without; not sure I want something to step on since it's already low to the ground.... So much to do! :!: And waaay down the road, I need some better wheels and tires.
Did you plasti-dip the front grille or did you find a grille that was color matched? My struggle is that I can't decide if I want to go black grill and accents or if I want to color match...my husband wants to go black, but doesn't want to use plasti-dip. Have you had your D long enough to see it thru some tough weather conditions with the plasti-dip? If so, how well did the plasti-dip hold up?

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
His is an R/T his Grill came in color match paint
STEVE

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
actually.. .believe CREWSIN' has an '11 Crew...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you plasti-dip the front grille or did you find a grille that was color matched? My struggle is that I can't decide if I want to go black grill and accents or if I want to color match...my husband wants to go black, but doesn't want to use plasti-dip. Have you had your D long enough to see it thru some tough weather conditions with the plasti-dip? If so, how well did the plasti-dip hold up?
My grille is dipped; four coats black, two glossifier. I've only had my D since May, but run it through the touchless car wash twice a month or so. It's held up just fine to the pressure washing. I dipped my side mirrors, too, and just noticed a small tear on one of them, but that was likely from a rock. Quick and easy to peel and re-spray. I had a lot of chrome on my D and I'm not a big chrome guy, but a lot of people like it. It's expensive to add chrome and it just seemed wrong to paint over it....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
CREWSIN' did your mirrors originally come with the chrome covers on them? I think the chrome mirrors are HIDEOUS, in my opinion... glad you dipped yours...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CREWSIN' did your mirrors originally come with the chrome covers on them? I think the chrome mirrors are HIDEOUS, in my opinion... glad you dipped yours...
Yeah, caskey, it was pretty chromed-out when I bought it. This is how it looked four months ago:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah, caskey, it was pretty chromed-out when I bought it. This is how it looked four months ago:

AHHH.. I HATE those mirrors and door handles!!!!! SO glad my crew didnt come with that.....

photo.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
My grille is dipped; four coats black, two glossifier. I've only had my D since May, but run it through the touchless car wash twice a month or so. It's held up just fine to the pressure washing. I dipped my side mirrors, too, and just noticed a small tear on one of them, but that was likely from a rock. Quick and easy to peel and re-spray. I had a lot of chrome on my D and I'm not a big chrome guy, but a lot of people like it. It's expensive to add chrome and it just seemed wrong to paint over it....
Yeah, not too big on chrome either, which is why I'm looking for some insight on those who have done the plasti-dip vs buying a grille and suchthat is already painted. I also want to get rid of any other chrome pieces that the body has...similar to yours, below the doors, around the back end, the fog lights and the piece below the fog lights. Was plasti-dipping something you were able to knock out in a weekend? We are looking into getting black rims come spring, so I don't think going black on the grille or chrome accents would be horrible; but if they were color matched tho, may look more stock and less modified.

Durango.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ash, you could do it in a day, no problem. I did mine kind of piecemeal. The grille and front chrome bar was first just to see if I liked it and how hard it was (had to re-do it once because I didn't let it dry long enough after washing and the dip didn't stick in spots where the water gathered). Since it's recommended to wait about 10 minutes between coats, if you spray one section, then move on to another, and another, you could probably knock out the whole thing with four to six cans of black and a couple of glossifier in an hour or two; a bit longer if you do a lot of masking. Overspray wipes up quick and easy with a chamois cloth. :thumbsup:

EDIT: If you do spray your grille, remember to cut up a garbage bag to place behind your grille so your radiator is protected. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Mark for your advice, it's greatly appreciated! Would it be easier to pull the grille off and plasti-dip rather than place a plastic sack behind it? My real concern would be to plast-dip the pieces below the doors and around the back, because they are flimsy and I'm afraid without pulling them off(hopefully without damaging) that I'd miss spots. Or do I just tape off around the pieces I plan on spraying? Sorry to pick your brain, I don't know anyone personally who has done plasti-dip to help me out, so thanks again for your advice!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mark for your advice, it's greatly appreciated! Would it be easier to pull the grille off and plasti-dip rather than place a plastic sack behind it? My real concern would be to plast-dip the pieces below the doors and around the back, because they are flimsy and I'm afraid without pulling them off(hopefully without damaging) that I'd miss spots. Or do I just tape off around the pieces I plan on spraying? Sorry to pick your brain, I don't know anyone personally who has done plasti-dip to help me out, so thanks again for your advice!
I didn't take anything off the D to spray. I did take particular care in masking off the headlights, especially in those hard to reach areas between the lights and grille. If you watch any of those vids on Youtube, that guy Fonzi actually encourages overspray so you'll have enough dip to pull when peeling off the oversprayed areas: just pull an edge slowly and at an angle. The rest of the lighter overspray can be wiped off with a chamois. On my side mirrors, I also masked the bottom area where the turn indicators are. Don't worry about the questions; I like talking about dip. :) A lot of folks think it's a cheap way to cut corners... and it is. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts