Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread, DDSRT Horrible Situation, describing events of the front fascia/bumper cover popping loose where it meets the fender, just under the headlight. Well, I had gotten mine repaired by my local dealership, paid for by the selling dealership. All was well. I was washing the SRT this weekend and I noticed the bumper cover was slightly popping out again on the driver side, by the fender under the headlight. It was slight. I took the DSRT to the dealer that did the initial repair. They were very cool about, took to the back to take a look. About 30 minutes later the D is back up front, cover secured. Gratis. The Shop GM said that what appears to be causing this is the lower air deflectors, just in front of the tires being curbed. He even demonstrated. When you push back and up on the deflector, as it would when scraping a parking block, the bumper cover actually flexes enough where the seam of the cover meets the fender/headlight gets stressed enough and the tabs will let loose! This could happen pulling into a steep drive or any situation where those air deflectors can be pushed enough to move the fascia. Now, when I drive the DDSRT, I generally back in to parking spots so as not to scrape the deflectors. Its not always convenient to do so, so pulling head in happens occasionally. The picture I attached is prior to the repair just so you get an idea of the flimsyness of the tabs. Just an FYI folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good info Man. I wrote about the horrible situation and this reaffirms my point that Dodge is at fault. Its either poor design, testing, material, workmanship or quality control. I always back in to parkand have never scraped my air dam, but even if I did, it shouldn't break the tabs or pop the bumper loose. I thought bumpers were designed to absorb some level of impact without damage. Hmmm, maybe I better start watching out for dragonflies when travelling at highway speeds:confused::(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doubtful that's the cause.

The air deflectors for the brakes sit up pretty high and scraping anything with them would be pretty difficult.

This same thing happens on the other trims with the SRT fascia and they don't have the air deflectors.

Also, in your picture it appears that the mounting tab is broken and wasn't repaired properly the first time.

That's most likely why your continuing to have the issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doubtful that's the cause.

The air deflectors for the brakes sit up pretty high and scraping anything with them would be pretty difficult.

This same thing happens on the other trims with the SRT fascia and they don't have the air deflectors.

Also, in your picture it appears that the mounting tab is broken and wasn't repaired properly the first time.

That's most likely why your continuing to have the issue.
The picture is before the repair. They put a complete new fascia on the truck. There are scuff marks on the deflectors. I'm not saying its the only cause as I know not all trim levels have the deflectors. I do know those corners are very sensitive to any contact though.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think the biggest issue with the Dodge Durango is exterior fit. I have an issue with my 2017 basically similar to yours. My Hood isn't even straight. It sit's low on the passenger side by the front corner. I tried to adjust it myself but I'm not body guy so I'm trying to get the dealership to fix it. I had them look at it as I also have some paint issues with the hood. They had to take Digital pictures of the hood and send them to Dodge to get approval on the repairs. I told them why can't they just fix it as it's not correct. They need approval to perform the work. Strange a dealership can't make such a decision, it's not like it's questionable.
I have an issue with my drivers side tailpipe as well. It's so off it's almost hitting the bumper cover. The passenger side is damn near perfect. They look strange when you look at them together.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
At least my dealer adjusted my crooked exhaust.....but they have to get approval from the fca rep for my ill fitting front panel and guess what..my local rep either quit or was fired so now still waiting since july.....:mad:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
At least my dealer adjusted my crooked exhaust.....but they have to get approval from the fca rep for my ill fitting front panel and guess what..my local rep either quit or was fired so now still waiting since july.....:mad:
This kinda stuff pisses me off. Why the hell do they need to get approval to FIX something that needs fixing? They are a dealership and should have the ability to make judgments on their own. They are good enough to bring in the money and sell their products but not good enough to decide if it's warranty or not? I call bullshit here. I've been buying new cars since 2005 and never had these kinda bullshit issues. I love my Durango but I absolutely HATE my dealership service department. Doesn't seem like it's any better anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
This kinda stuff pisses me off. Why the hell do they need to get approval to FIX something that needs fixing? They are a dealership and should have the ability to make judgments on their own. They are good enough to bring in the money and sell their products but not good enough to decide if it's warranty or not? I call bullshit here. I've been buying new cars since 2005 and never had these kinda bullshit issues. I love my Durango but I absolutely HATE my dealership service department. Doesn't seem like it's any better anywhere else.
They need that approval otherwise they’re gambling on whether they get paid to do the repair or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very Interesting...

took mine in 2 weeks ago for the very same thing. My local dealer (don't ever use I-5 DCRF IMG_20181122_083312.jpg IMG_20181122_083312.jpg ) in washington state sent it over to "their" local auto body shop for repair and paint. Got it back in worse shape then when I took it over. I got a new replacement bumper and clips that was approved by the SRT Division.

Paint didn't match;
misaligned;
clearcoat not buffed out;
scratches in the clear coat that was buffed on;
tab broken where they FORCED the bumper over the driving light

AMATEUR shit at best. Sent all pics to SRT Rep and they are not happy. Thank GOD for the SRT divisional reps. She is on them like flies on a body repair shop!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very Interesting...

took mine in 2 weeks ago for the very same thing. My local dealer (don't ever use I-5 DCRF) in washington state sent it over to "their" local auto body shop for repair and paint. Got it back in worse shape then when I took it over. I got a new replacement bumper and clips that was approved by the SRT Division.

Paint didn't match;
misaligned;
clearcoat not buffed out;
scratches in the clear coat that was buffed on;
tab broken where they FORCED the bumper over the driving light

AMATEUR shit at best. Sent all pics to SRT Rep and they are not happy. Thank GOD for the SRT divisional reps. She is on them like flies on a body repair shop! IMG_20181122_082614.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went through this with my wife's DDSRT. The bumper "popped" out on the drivers side at the headlight where it meets the fender. Local dealer wouldn't help and said "it was physical damage", which it wasn't. Had to take it back 45 miles to where we bought it and they agreed to "fix it". We scheduled the appointment and specifically requested that they try to repair it rather than replace the bumper. We dropped it off two weeks later for the repair and after 3 days they called and said "We have to replace the bumper". They ordered a new one but said it would take a week or two to get it in. They called when it came in in and that they were going to send it to their body shop to get "pre-painted" to speed up the repair. I stopped them there and said "just give me the bumper and I'll take care of it" which shockingly, they did! I didn't want a bad color match, dirt in the finish, poor assembly, etc.

My cousin owns a body shop so I know first hand that sometimes body/paint repairs are worse than the original problem. I took it there and did the repair with him. I figured I'd get a better result and really wanted to keep the original painted bumper. We took it apart and found the EXACT problem in the picture of the original poster. Top tab was torn through. Fearing this could happen again and being that i wanted to keep the original bumper on if at all possible, we chose to panel bond the bumper to the bracket. This deems it "non-serviceable" but if it fails or there is a problem in the future, I have an OEM spare bumper with brackets. It looks perfect now with no issues!

Hope you guys get yours straightened out. If nothing else, this shows there is a recurring problem. Probably going to see it in other threads where the same fascia is being used on other trim levels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There was a thread, DDSRT Horrible Situation, describing events of the front fascia/bumper cover popping loose where it meets the fender, just under the headlight. Well, I had gotten mine repaired by my local dealership, paid for by the selling dealership. All was well. I was washing the SRT this weekend and I noticed the bumper cover was slightly popping out again on the driver side, by the fender under the headlight. It was slight. I took the DSRT to the dealer that did the initial repair. They were very cool about, took to the back to take a look. About 30 minutes later the D is back up front, cover secured. Gratis. The Shop GM said that what appears to be causing this is the lower air deflectors, just in front of the tires being curbed. He even demonstrated. When you push back and up on the deflector, as it would when scraping a parking block, the bumper cover actually flexes enough where the seam of the cover meets the fender/headlight gets stressed enough and the tabs will let loose! This could happen pulling into a steep drive or any situation where those air deflectors can be pushed enough to move the fascia. Now, when I drive the DDSRT, I generally back in to parking spots so as not to scrape the deflectors. Its not always convenient to do so, so pulling head in happens occasionally. The picture I attached is prior to the repair just so you get an idea of the flimsyness of the tabs. Just an FYI folks.
Well isn't that interesting. A couple of weeks after purchase I thought I had a rock chip. But rock chips don't flex outward.....My headlight was chipped slightly in the same spot so I am guessing someone tried to flex out that corner and pop it back in. I actually thought it had been wrecked before I bought it. I was PISSED. My Durango came from another dealer- the dealer I purchased from did not hesitate to repair it. Thank goodness they did an excellent job. I am still clear-bra-ing mine ASAP.
Has anyone checked the clips on their inner fender liner? That still remains a question- my driver's side fender liner was clipped in reversed. I don't know if that was an manufacture fail or if someone popped it out and back in the wrong way. Either way it sucked to have a brand new vehicle with damage. Durango.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a manufacturer fail. Tabs breaking on new bumpers are unacceptable. Tabs are designed to support the bumper and keep it in place, so these tabs are clearly inferior in either design or material.

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT
11 Posts
I am currently experiencing front fascia/bumper cover popping loose where it meets the fender, just under the headlight on my new 2021 RT. Will post updates when possible.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am currently experiencing front fascia/bumper cover popping loose where it meets the fender, just under the headlight on my new 2021 RT. Will post updates when possible.
Hi Getoutndrivee,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. We understand you are reaching out to fellow forum members, however if you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here; we kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not to add salt to a wound but my 2011 R/T has done this since new. They HAVE to have know it has been an issue, for about 10 years now……

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I never had my bumper pop out on my '18 and I know those deflectors rubbed parking stops a few times.
I'm not sure I'm convinced that's what is causing it. If you run over something it will push the deflector back towards the rear of the car, not up. Correct or am I seeing this wrong?

·
Registered
'21 DD Tow N Go / ‘17 Viper ACR
195 Posts
I notice the same thing yesterday while washing it. Don't want to bring it to dealer as I can see the tab is not broken. Does someone know how can i pur thi back? It seem pretty stiff and don't want to break it, but if I need to give a good wack I will try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts