Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a strong smell of gas in my Durango. It is worse the higher the heater blows. Before you could smell it outside by the motor and inside the Durango. Now you only smell it inside. Months ago we did work to plugs, coils, and one injector. It went to a shop to have some work done for hitting a guardrail down the passenger side (cosmetic work). No check engine lights, no missing or weird driving. Just a strong smell. Most common issues it could be? I do not notice puddles under it... I looked at the motor and didn't see any wet spots. I didn't take casing on top off yet, like where the coils and fuel injectors would be on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Good morning Melody:
Thanks for including the year of your Durango in your initial post. It would be helpful to know what engine, and how many miles? It sounds to me like you have an underhood fuel leak, probably involving the fuel rail and/or injector work. A little fuel can make a really powerful odor. The HVAC system is bringing said odor inside the cabin.

I would remove the engine cover, and look carefully for signs of wetness or a drip around the fuel lines and injector rails.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning Melody:
Thanks for including the year of your Durango in your initial post. It would be helpful to know what engine, and how many miles? It sounds to me like you have an underhood fuel leak, probably involving the fuel rail and/or injector work. A little fuel can make a really powerful odor. The HVAC system is bringing said odor inside the cabin.

I would remove the engine cover, and look carefully for signs of wetness or a drip around the fuel lines and injector rails.

Don
I have 120,000 miles and it is a 3.6..
I noticed today driving it to work that the acceleration is not as good as I remember it being. I haven't really drove it much till this morning. I also noticed that sitting still, the odor is more apparent. Driving I assume pushes the smell away. My gas milage has not been disturbed that much. I reset it this morning. Actually we replaced 2 fuel injectors. I just remembered.
It's just off because when I dropped the car off to get the work done it was not smelling of gas. I will def pull the cover while I'm bored at work and check. Also now that I have driven it a little, I feel (which I'm called crazy all the time) a slight miss in idle.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Ok on the 3.6 with 120k. Hopefully, you installed new spark plugs at some point, since the interval is 100k.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok on the 3.6 with 120k. Hopefully, you installed new spark plugs at some point, since the interval is 100k.

Don
I have 2 spark plugs I have to change still. I couldn't find them when we had everything off doing the injector and coil. I was very frustrated at that point. So we put everything back together. I know it was a stupid decision.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I would not call it a stupid decision. We have all been in the midst of a project, that ends up taking longer than we expected. I always plan on at least twice the time I think a chore will require. It's nice when you end up done ahead of "schedule."
Besides, leaving the 2 old ones in there, gives you another reason to take it all back apart, and find the fuel leak!
😂 😂
Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts