Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all!

ok so my 2013 Durango SXT is struggling to get up to freeway speeds. When I get to 20-45 mph it gets to 3000-4000 rpms before it smooths out. Once I hit highway speeds it starts to shake a bit. My husband hooked it up to a code reader and no codes (not even pending ones) popped up. A dealership I contacted to make an appointment with to get diagnosed is trying to convince me it’s a transmission issue.

any ideas?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
Wheel alignment?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
No, I missed that part. It could be any number of things from a dirty air filter, bad fuel, clogged fuel filter, bad plugs, low trans fluid (in a sealed transmission), and then you get into electronics and sensors. You need a good drivability tech to look at it and feel it. A diagnosis over the phone can't be done so don't let anyone sell you a part without proving to you and guaranteeing to you that it will fix the issue.

Reactions: Shan4uk

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
CCC:

Be wary of that dealer. They might be on the level, and they also might be wanting to make their next boat payment.
How many miles on your D? Has it been regularly serviced. How many miles on the spark plugs? How old is the battery, and if it's not relatively new, I would have it properly load tested to rule out any issues there.

Don

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCC:

Be wary of that dealer. They might be on the level, and they also might be wanting to make their next boat payment.
How many miles on your D? Has it been regularly serviced. How many miles on the spark plugs? How old is the battery, and if it's not relatively new, I would have it properly load tested to rule out any issues there.

Don
Its got 110350 miles. I’m not sure when it was fully serviced and my battery looks good. If it was the plugs wouldn’t it throw out a code? Cause I don’t have any codes

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
357 Posts
so don't let anyone sell you a part without proving to you and guaranteeing to you that it will fix the issue.
And even when they "guarantee" you that the part is the resolution to all of your problems.......you still have to agree to allow them to do work.......and when it doesn't work out, they'll just shrug their shoulders, charge you full price +20% and tell you why the next part is the one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi y’all!

ok so my 2013 Durango SXT is struggling to get up to freeway speeds. When I get to 20-45 mph it gets to 3000-4000 rpms before it smooths out. Once I hit highway speeds it starts to shake a bit. My husband hooked it up to a code reader and no codes (not even pending ones) popped up. A dealership I contacted to make an appointment with to get diagnosed is trying to convince me it’s a transmission issue.

any ideas?
1. How's your tire pressure?
2. Checked your oil level lately?
3. Run through any mud lately?
4. Check for missing wheel balance weights on all four corners.
5. Do the front tires show any abnormal wear, like alignment issue?

If it's "struggling" to get up to speed, and possibly shuddering along the way to get there........it may be low oil. We have a 2014 SXT Charger and when the oil gets low (wife's car.......if I don't check it nobody does) it actually won't go above 3,000 RPM under moderate load because it has a variable volume oil pump and it's trying to save itself.

Some of my ideas........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And even when they "guarantee" you that the part is the resolution to all of your problems.......you still have to agree to allow them to do work.......and when it doesn't work out, they'll just shrug their shoulders, charge you full price +20% and tell you why the next part is the one.
Trust me I have no intention of going to that place…I don’t trust them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. How's your tire pressure?
2. Checked your oil level lately?
3. Run through any mud lately?
4. Check for missing wheel balance weights on all four corners.
5. Do the front tires show any abnormal wear, like alignment issue?

If it's "struggling" to get up to speed, and possibly shuddering along the way to get there........it may be low oil. We have a 2014 SXT Charger and when the oil gets low (wife's car.......if I don't check it nobody does) it actually won't go above 3,000 RPM under moderate load because it has a variable volume oil pump and it's trying to save itself.

Some of my ideas........
1. My husband just checked it yesterday along with the oil and all looked good.
3. not that I know of 🤔
4. I’ll check
5. Tires look really good.
Great ideas :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
1. My husband just checked it yesterday along with the oil and all looked good.
3. not that I know of
4. I’ll check
5. Tires look really good.
Great ideas :)
If you don't know if the plugs have been changed, that's a good place to start. They are rated at about 100k miles for replacement.

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT
80 Posts
This could be something as simple as a wheel balance from what you described.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That would cause the hesitation?
It could mimick the feel of hesitation. That's why I asked about wheel balance weights or if you had possibly driven through mud recently. I once had to go through some pretty deep mud in my truck and it collected on the inside of the front wheels and I guess it didn't want to come out on it's own, because when it dried and I drove it the next time, it shook me out of my seat. Happens with snow/ice sometimes too.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD Blacktop Edition
84 Posts
I’d say first step is make sure your oil level is where it should be. If not, change it and your filter. I recommend Castrol Edge High Mileage, and use whatever viscosity is written on the oil fill cap. For the filter, Fram Ultra (the ones with XG at the beginning of the part number).

Next step is inspect your engine air filter. It’s probably plugged up so be ready to replace it.

Next, make sure you have good gasoline in the tank. Run it down to about 1/8 tank (‘til the light comes on) and add 2 bottles of STP fuel injector cleaner. Then go fill up with Shell Super (v-power 93 octane, 91 OK if 93 is unavailable). Can’t stress it enough—Shell brand.

Take it out on the highway and try to WOT it a few times. Hold lower gears as long as you can without redlining.

If it’s still hesitant after all that, check your plugs. Just pull one of them out, if it shows any signs of wear just replace them all—saves you a headache chasing other bad plugs later on. Make sure the gap is set right. Don’t believe the markings on the package that say “gapping not required” because it almost always is. The gapping tool is like $2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’d say first step is make sure your oil level is where it should be. If not, change it and your filter. I recommend Castrol Edge High Mileage, and use whatever viscosity is written on the oil fill cap. For the filter, Fram Ultra (the ones with XG at the beginning of the part number).

Next step is inspect your engine air filter. It’s probably plugged up so be ready to replace it.

Next, make sure you have good gasoline in the tank. Run it down to about 1/8 tank (‘til the light comes on) and add 2 bottles of STP fuel injector cleaner. Then go fill up with Shell Super (v-power 93 octane, 91 OK if 93 is unavailable). Can’t stress it enough—Shell brand.

Take it out on the highway and try to WOT it a few times. Hold lower gears as long as you can without redlining.

If it’s still hesitant after all that, check your plugs. Just pull one of them out, if it shows any signs of wear just replace them all—saves you a headache chasing other bad plugs later on. Make sure the gap is set right. Don’t believe the markings on the package that say “gapping not required” because it almost always is. The gapping tool is like $2.

This is great advice, the one caution I will give that I forgot to mention in my previous post, if this is the V6 (you said SXT so I'm assuming it is) 3 of the plugs will be under part of the intake manifold. It's a little bit of a job to change those 3. Definitely pull one first, and then if they need changing decide if it's a job you can tackle or if it needs a professional.

Reactions: Granite.RT

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is great advice, the one caution I will give that I forgot to mention in my previous post, if this is the V6 (you said SXT so I'm assuming it is) 3 of the plugs will be under part of the intake manifold. It's a little bit of a job to change those 3. Definitely pull one first, and then if they need changing decide if it's a job you can tackle or if it needs a professional.

Is that still the case on the 3.6? If so then wow…the 3.5 in my charger was the same way. Pain in the [email protected] to change the plugs on that. Glad I have a HEMI now lol. Only downside to that is there are 16 plugs in mine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It could mimick the feel of hesitation. That's why I asked about wheel balance weights or if you had possibly driven through mud recently. I once had to go through some pretty deep mud in my truck and it collected on the inside of the front wheels and I guess it didn't want to come out on it's own, because when it dried and I drove it the next time, it shook me out of my seat. Happens with snow/ice sometimes too.
I don’t think I’ve driven through mud but I’ll check anyway. My husbands job site has dried up mud 🤔

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The oil looked fine when my husband checked it out day before yesterday. I’ll have him check all these things (my arms don’t reach 😅) thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The oil looked fine when my husband checked it out day before yesterday. I’ll have him check all these things (my arms don’t reach ) thanks for the tips!
Anytime! Let us know how it works out for you!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts