Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 5.7L Hemi that has 98Kmiles on it. Over the past few days, when I am about to stop the vehicle, at a stop sign or traffic light, there is a shuddering feeling I get on the brake pedal. It stays even when the vehicle is fully stopped and I take my foot off the brake pedal. Runs like a champ on the highway.
It has new spark plugs (Bosch 9654), new solenoids (Doorman), new transmission fluid (ATF-4, flushed, both transmission filters changed). I has run like a champ for about 10K after these changes - so it is not directly related to the problem.
There are not codes or check engine lights. Any thoughts? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
34 Posts
It sounds like an ABS issue because that is how the ABS module will modulate the brakes to avoid locking up the wheels. Maybe also a chance that a motor mount has let loose and when not under acceleration or cruise the motor settles down against something that then transmits the vibration to the pedal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like an ABS issue because that is how the ABS module will modulate the brakes to avoid locking up the wheels. Maybe also a chance that a motor mount has let loose and when not under acceleration or cruise the motor settles down against something that then transmits the vibration to the pedal.
UPDATE: Now the shuddering is constant. I cannot accelerate fast enough. I am not sure it is the ABS because it is now happening all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Graman:
More information please. What is the year of your Durango? Have you had the battery tested lately? Does the issue change if you put the trans in neutral or park when it happens as you are stationary?

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Graman:
More information please. What is the year of your Durango? Have you had the battery tested lately? Does the issue change if you put the trans in neutral or park when it happens as you are stationary?

Don
Hi Don,
It is a 2007 Durango. The battery is new its an AGM high performance. Neutral, park or reverse position does not change the vibration at all. Turning off the Durango in park and restarting it resolves the issue momentarily; however, it restarts when I resume driving.
I would appreciate any inputs to resolve this problem - this is my daily drive, I am a student who is comfortable at working on the car myself, and cannot handle too many large expenses right now.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Graman:
That is one sharp looking 2007 D. AWD, or RWD? 98K is pretty low for a 2007. My '04 just crossed 121k recently. Have you cleaned the throttle body at all? That may provide you with a solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Graman:
That is one sharp looking 2007 D. AWD, or RWD? 98K is pretty low for a 2007. My '04 just crossed 121k recently. Have you cleaned the throttle body at all? That may provide you with a solution.
Thank you. Its an AWD - it had 82K miles when I bought it. Yes, the previous owner had maintained it well, I bought it and fixed all the minor issues.
I cleaned the throttle body when I replaced the solenoids; that was about 7,000 miles ago - I am not sure at what frequency I should clean the throttle body. Do you think I need to take it off and clean it again? Here is the before-after photo of the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Excellent work! Hopefully you saw the warning about getting cleaner into the electronics of the TB. The pic on the right is what mine looked like when I cleaned it a couple of years back. Your cleaning job looks a little better than mine. I think you are good there. Have you done the key dance just to see if any codes are in there? What were the minor things you had to clear up along the way?

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent work! Hopefully you saw the warning about getting cleaner into the electronics of the TB. The pic on the right is what mine looked like when I cleaned it a couple of years back. Your cleaning job looks a little better than mine. I think you are good there. Have you done the key dance just to see if any codes are in there? What were the minor things you had to clear up along the way?

Don
Hi Don,
Thanks - I was surprised by how dirty the TB was; and yes, I made sure that the TB cleaner was pointed downward so that the cleaner solution flowed out by gravity immediately without entering the electronics of the unit. That's out of the way now. The major issue were the MDS solenoids; the minor things were the spark plugs, changed the stereo system to an Android-based Pioneer DVD head unit which required flashing of the software to the adapter to retain the steering wheel controls. I also painted the bezel to match the body color of the vehicle. I am working on installing a subwoofer in the back integrated into the body of the vehicle (got the trim for it from the junk yard).

Did the key dance - no codes. I am starting to wonder if it is the fuel injectors...... Found this on the Firestone website:

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Good on all of that. You might run a bottle or two of Techcron or whatever your favorite fuel system cleaner is through the tank, and see if that helps. Also, double check the intake manifold bolts. They are known to loosen up over time. You may have a bit of a vacuum leak there, or possibly a cracked/rotted vacuum line.

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good on all of that. You might run a bottle or two of Techcron or whatever your favorite fuel system cleaner is through the tank, and see if that helps. Also, double check the intake manifold bolts. They are known to loosen up over time. You may have a bit of a vacuum leak there, or possibly a cracked/rotted vacuum line.

Don
I bought a sonic cleaner and a fuel injector cleaner system. The moment of truth will be on Wednesday..... Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a sonic cleaner and a fuel injector cleaner system. The moment of truth will be on Wednesday..... Fingers crossed.
Cleaned all the fuel injectors and reinstalled it. The engine now idles really well. I have documented the fuel injector cleaning with pictures - will post soon.
Have not taken the durango out on a test ride to check the shuddering because a new problem surfaced - the "BRAKE" warning light is now on. I started to pull out of the driveway and realized that I have no braking power. I have no idea how this happened. I am going to bleed the brakes and put in fresh brake fluid to see if it solves it.
Ugh......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This did not solve the problem. While the fuel injectors clearly needed cleaning, it did not solve the problem of the shuddering or loss of torque.

The engine runs normally when:
  • it is still cold and not yet fully warmed up
  • the vehicle is turned off and back on. While the shuddering does not occur on restart, it does occur the next time when I have driven it over 35mph and then slow down to somewhere between 25-35mph
  • If I ease into a stopped position, really slowly.
Shuddering occurs when
  • it is fully warmed up
  • vehicle slows down to between 25-35 mph after which it goes away
  • it is running close to 60mph
Other observations:
  • The check engine light turns on sometimes with the code P0307 which is a Cylinder 7 misfire. But it turns off by itself.
  • new Dorman MDS solenoids.
  • cleaned fuel injectors
  • 93 grade fuel
  • fresh castrol 5W-20 oil with STP XP filter
  • fresh transmission ATX+4 oil and new transmission filters (both)
  • new sparkplugs Bosch 9654
Any suggestions? I read on another post that it could be the torque converter. Today, the code went away by itself just after I purchased two new sparkplugs that i wanted to replace for Cylinder 7.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, yesterday the check engine light turned off by itself and no more misfires - but the shuddering still persists.
I am not sure what this is.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts