216 Posts
Here's mine (installed yesterday)

Savini BM-13 20x10 +42
Hankook Ventus ST 295/45/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sooo, I want to share with you guys my struggle for wheels in 20". I'm beginning to understand why there's so few aftermarket wheel-equipped Durangos around. I first replaced my stock Blacktop wheels with SRT Goliath 20x9 +34's, in hyper silver. I got them for a great price, but they ARE replicas made cheap or semi-cheap, so I knew that it was not really going to keep them forever. I think I managed to get a wheel out of round, or perhaps it was always that way, but right now I'm fighting some vibration issues that not even a Road Force balance job can't solve or won't solve. So, I started re-shopping wheels.

I decided to call my buddy Brett at Wheel Warehouse in CA, who hooked up a couple cars of mine before. He's always quick to respond and has a deeper understanding of true fit, like how backpads matter, how blank wheels should be properly drilled, etc. I understand fitment like width and offset very well (plus the online calculators make it easy to visualize), so I asked him about a number of wheels, one after another, what could be done for fitment, availability, etc. Here's the order of our email string, and my original email suggested a budget in the $1000ish range, and relatively light and simple wheels without flash:

He suggested the Black Rhino Kruger, which is actually a nice wheel, but has too many spokes for my personal taste. Still, really nice wheel for maybe someone else.

I then asked about Verde, which he said that the Invictus DOES fit, and would run me just over a grand all-in shipped and with some spline lugs That's this wheel here:
and it comes in black too. This wheel looks good to me, but I wasn't sold on it fully, yet. It does have a near perfect size and offset compared to mine, so that's thing. But I had him check on some more:

I had him check on Niche, but they are largely out of stock on most 20" 5x127 wheel options. All the previous year models like the GT5 or Apex are unavailable in this size, and there's nothing really available that I like. Bummer..and they are offset a bit less than mine now so that's not good either.

I then asked about Savini, knowing they can be custom-drilled. I found most of these won't be a problem, and that I'll be in about $1400 shipped to do almost any Savini cast wheel (this is probably my best option.) But they are not 9", they are 8.5, so I have to decide if this really matters to me. I guess since I can pick my offset, it wouldn't be a problem to go with 20x8.5 +28 or +30 and make it nice and flush like mine are now. The BM8 is here
and I would get them in that titanium or
maybe the BM11

But there's maybe some others, point is these could work.

From here, I poured through the internet, looking for suitable 5x127 or blank pattern options. I landed on the gorgeous Concept One CSM-5 wheel. I asked about these, and found that due to the bolt pattern being so large, they can't drill the pattern into the pad. Only with a 22" could they do that. That hurt because this wheel would be glorious in gunmetal on a Durango.

So then I asked about Blaque Diamond, since I've chatted with Eric from the company a few times before and it was always a pleasant conversation. I checked with my wife on what she liked from them, and came up with the BD3, and after some research he said the pad issue in 20" came up again, and that only a 22" version would work. There are other Blaque Diamond wheels made in 5x127, but the ones that are don't work for the style I want.

So anyway, that's where I'm at. I've looked for hours and hours online, searching 5x127's, and found that unless you want a replica wheel, the pool of resources for wheels that fit properly is very shallow for our pattern and offset range, at least in 20". I also find it sorta weird that our Durangos have a Mercedes GL background (correct me if wrong), but those mercs have 5x112 patterns. So strange!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have Triumph Forged doing a custom set for me. Still working on all the particulars but will probably end up being a 3 piece forged 24x10 8 spoke with gloss black outer hoops, gloss white inner hoop and semi gloss black center... Don't ask for the price tag it will bring a grown man to tears!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have Triumph Forged doing a custom set for me. Still working on all the particulars but will probably end up being a 3 piece forged 24x10 8 spoke with gloss black outer hoops, gloss white inner hoop and semi gloss black center... Don't ask for the price tag it will bring a grown man to tears!
My last ride had 3 piece forged staggered 22" wheels. I did it when I got a sweet bonus check from work, but that's the only time I'd normally be able to afford dropping thousands like that. They looked nice, but those wheels were a PITA to keep in good shape. All that mounting hardware needing regular, religious cleaning and protecting, and I had a reverse mount barrel so there was troughs in the part where water would stand, so after washing/cleaning the car I had to put towels down in the troughs to get the water out of there. I had a real battle with center caps, as they were also custom-made and they were made wrong twice, so I battled that. Point is, for the many thousands of bucks spent, I don't think I'll ever do it again.

If I had that kind of money again, I'd go 1 piece forged from Finspeed and just let them make me a great wheel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I get what you are saying but I don't run mounting hardware through my wheels its all hidden in the back so I don't deal with busting knuckles trying to clean it, the good old lake in the back along with trapped water is easily taken care of with compressed air or a small leaf blower (I have a mini one from Chemical guys that works great). Center caps do suck especially when they are billet and held in place by an O ring but sure beats the alternative of cheap plastic that usually doesn't last. I guess over the years of dealing with 3 piece I've developed several methods of cleaning them the easy way :)

I was thinking mono blocks or even billet but you just cannot do much in the line of multi-color, design, size you are very limited. With the 3 piece I can design my wheel from the ground up from rendering to reality in any color, design, or size... A little expensive, yes, but to me well worth it to get what I want and not settle for off the shelf cast wheels.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
MM hasn't been active for months looks like, but does anyone know what size wheels those are? I want 18"s with the same tires but not sure if I should go even bigger on the tires...
Look like 18s to me

·
Registered
870 Posts
Look like 18s to me
I think they are 20's but with a vastly oversized tire. I want to guess 275/55-20 just going by the fact it is a BF Goodrich ATKO2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Big thanks to double d mods and everyone on this forum.. 22" black viper replica wheels mounted on pirelli scorpions 285/45r22. Never posted any pictures on this forum hopefully they come out. IMG_20170329_182606.jpg IMG_20170329_182550.jpg IMG_20170329_180359.jpg IMG_20170329_174543.jpg

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
46 Participants
mailtoome1
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing