Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems self explanatory to me!

Do people have that much "Discretionary" income or are they on the "Gotta Buy" hamster wheel? Or are they the vocal minority on the forum?

I'll choose a place to live over the next big thing auto purchase anytime. Am I alone in this thinking?

Isn't a basic Durango close to 40K base price?

Maybe a push to leases that you never own anything? And then rent?

·
Registered
314 Posts

Do people have that much "Discretionary" income or are they on the "Gotta Buy" hamster wheel? Or are they the vocal minority on the forum?

I'll choose a place to live over the next big thing auto purchase anytime. Am I alone in this thinking?

You can live in a car but can't race a house! Lol

No I agree prices are ridiculous!

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can live in a car but can't race a house! Lol

No I agree prices are ridiculous!

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited
That was the comparison I was trying to make.

Seriously the cost of many modern cars is a modest house. Particularly in the south. A 500-1000/month payment for a car?

Reactions: BEP and GTSDart340

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
a $ will get you less for the next few years....but money is relative to how much you make or spend....If you want more then learn how to make more. Don't settle for status quo....but yes a 95k durango is a little nutty... 😉

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not like most people have the knowledge or experience to attain a "High Paying" job career for the first 10-20 years of their chosen career. I was a Field Service Engineer for over 35 years topping out at $80k a year. And I wouldn't even consider a Hellcat purchase or similarly priced vehicle. That's just me.

If you lucked out with some type of job that high paying then more power to you. I also didn't have to deal with a shitload of student loan debt like many have today so I consider myself able to afford more.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
168 Posts
My wife and I were talking about the housing market recently as well. Our house is in disarray as I’ve been remodeling it myself and we’ve been getting a lot of offers just to buy it in its current state, almost 100K over what my wife bought it for before I met her. Really tempting so I don’t have to continue working on it, but anything we want is an additional 100k on top of the current house + the additional from selling.

Probably could have put the money from the Durango towards a new house but we’re content right now, especially since I spent Memorial weekend putting up a massive metal swing set. I’d rather enjoy this vehicle than dealing with a realtor, moving/cleaning, and bidding against others for a new house. Us getting a new house will probably change in about 5 years, hopefully when supplies needed for building and the housing market settles.

·
Registered
986 Posts
We were either going to move last year or stay for another 5 years and wait till our 2nd kid graduates high school. Then CoVid-19 happened and made the decision for us, so we stayed. We then decided to refinance to get some equity out of our house, we got an appraisal of close to $60,000 over what we bought the house for 5 years ago. The market value went even higher after that, and still continues to climb which is just insane. Our house now is currently worth close to $140,000 over what we initially paid. The last house we had before our currently one is on the market again. It is listed at $150,000 over what I know it should be worth, as no updates were done to it since we lived there, which is just crazy.

So why would anyone care what these houses are worth? When the market goes back to normal these housing values will also go back down. This will make a house lose it value by tens of thousands putting people severely upside down on their loans if they financed them. For what it is worth, at least the interest rates are still super low. Maybe not all houses in every market have a super inflated price, but this is definitely a seller's market and the worst time ever, possibly in history, to buy a house.

So talking about buying a car, at least with a new vehicle not every dealer is inflating the price. I have seen some DD Hellcats on dealer lots for close to $130,000, but there are plenty out there that are still selling them at or below their sticker price. I ordered a new SRT 392 and will be paying 3% below MSRP, not a crazy good deal but a deal none the less, decent dealers still exist.

The real problem is the used vehicle market, and like the housing market they are overpriced. For an example, I'm trading my 2018 R/T in, when I bought it in October of 2017 I got it for about $49,xxx. A month ago the dealer appraised it at $35,000 while I was sitting there ordering my new SRT. I knew at that time Carmax would give me about $3000 more than the dealer. I figured once my SRT showed up I would let the dealer decide if they would match the other appraisal price or not, if not I would let Carmax have it. In the last month, it has gone up again in value. If this trend continues and it takes into next month for my SRT to arrive, my R/T might be worth as much or more than I originally paid for it. Right now it is worth only $4000 less than I bought it for, I can thank the semiconductor shortage for this.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GTSDart340

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It's not like most people have the knowledge or experience to attain a "High Paying" job career for the first 10-20 years of their chosen career. I was a Field Service Engineer for over 35 years topping out at $80k a year. And I wouldn't even consider a Hellcat purchase or similarly priced vehicle. That's just me.

If you lucked out with some type of job that high paying then more power to you. I also didn't have to deal with a shitload of student loan debt like many have today so I consider myself able to afford more.

life is a marathon, think and plan for what you would like your future to look like. Having plenty of money in your 50-60's starts in your 20's..If you are in a dead-end job...try like heck to reeducate/retrain yourself for something else. Use the stock market , take some risks, be willing to fail and try again...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not alone in your thinking. I remember about 2 years ago talking with a younger coworker. He mentioned how his car payment was over 500. I was shocked, I had no idea they had gone that high. I told him another 50. and he could have my mortgage payment. Then he looked at me shocked as that reality sunk in.

A lady I work with is 61, and her medical issues are piling on. We make decent money for our area, but it's a sucky job mentally and physically. She's crying about money and can't quit, but can't continue to work. Live in a triplex that's a converted garage, that's nice but not ideal. Then find out, her new Charger, that she just HAS to have, payment is 550. plus forget what insurance is. I told her bluntly, there's your problem get rid of it and you can take an easier but lower paying job. That's your priority but hey, if it helps, I've used an AED several times and am proficient in it.

To each their own though and their priorities. Even if I had a huge windfall, I still wouldn't buy a newer car. Way over priced IMO and they all look the same. Some of the new features are kind of neat but not enough to make me want to buy new.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Think about appreciation over depreciation.
Investment over expense.
In other words, Go for something which is already depreciated (old model DDHC)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Most expensive car I bought was $35k new in 1995. In today’s dollars that’s over $60k. We were young no kids.
haven’t spent more than $35k on any car. Yet.
But it’s going to happen. It’s inevitable. We are older and kids moved out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts